Hey guys, I've been on a Bold 9000 running a 4.6 OS for ages...

I've been using this theme: http://forums.crackberry.com/f130/to...me-bold-76350/

Basically it's an amazingly simple theme that shows me the messages and appointments I have on the main screen, along with one bar of icons along the bottom.

The beauty of it is that other than adding the messages and appointments, it left the entire default theme of OS 4.6 alone. That's why I liked it so much.

Oh, and it was free.

So, that said, I was recently looking into upgrading to an OS 5.0 release, and I found that it was almost impossible to find a theme similar to macro's for 5.0.

Anyone got any ideas? This might be the deal-breaker for me in terms of upgrading or not.
    06-09-10 08:20 PM
    If a theme can stop you from upgrading you have never experienced 5.0. There are a ton of free themes around for 5.0 it just takes some searching for one you want but again 5.0 is worth the upgrade.
    06-09-10 08:25 PM
    I'd believe that 5.0 is great, but I can only imagine that with the limited app memory of the 9000, the differences in experience will not be that great... I'd love to be wrong though, I'm just tired of random freeze-ups, app memory leaking like the oil in the Gulf, and the fact that I can't even have more than a few basic apps...

Anyway, if there are so many good free themes for 5.0, care to link me to any that you know of? I've done some searching around and although I'm usually good at finding things like this, I'm having no luck here. Especially since the 9000 is getting "old".
    06-09-10 08:32 PM
    I'd believe that 5.0 is great, but I can only imagine that with the limited app memory of the 9000, the differences in experience will not be that great... I'd love to be wrong though, I'm just tired of random freeze-ups, app memory leaking like the oil in the Gulf, and the fact that I can't even have more than a few basic apps...

Anyway, if there are so many good free themes for 5.0, care to link me to any that you know of? I've done some searching around and although I'm usually good at finding things like this, I'm having no luck here. Especially since the 9000 is getting "old".
    Here's one of my favorites. It does not leak memory and is only 179460 Bytes. http://forums.crackberry.com/f130/re...-theme-358096/
    06-09-10 08:40 PM
    Here are just a few "free" ones:

FTheme1BB - Themes BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

!6 for BlackBerry - Themes BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

MyBBOTA.com Download - Blah 9000 5.0

This isn't free but turns any theme into a today theme:
    deToday - The Revolutionary TodayScreen App - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

I have not tried this theme but it looks like your 4.6 theme:
    !Classic Zen Today Plus v2.0 - UPDATED AND IMPROVED - by BGThemes - Themes BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

But you can stay on 4.6 if you want.
    5.0 has some nice improvements and I would not want to got back to 4.6.
    Last edited by tellsells; 06-09-10 at 08:54 PM.
    06-09-10 08:41 PM

The 9000 may be getting old but you can still find great themes as you where linked to above and the upgrade will get rid of the leaks and freezes you are having on 4.6. The best to date is .681 at the top of this forum page.
    06-09-10 08:52 PM
    Hmm... Thanks guys! Some of those look potentially good. And through that I found The World Of Pootermobile which looks like it has a lot of decent looking free themes.

I guess I can jump ship and see what happens. I just know that upgrading BB OSes is sort of a finicky process (only done it once before because of that). The only reason why I want to upgrade now is because for the past week, my phone has been locking up randomly, forcing me to do a battery pull. I haven't changed anything recently for it to start doing that, so the only thing I can think of is an OS upgrade. =S

I guess I'll suck it up and lose my theme. I probably won't be able to downgrade back to 4.6 properly once I'm at 5.0, so here's hoping it goes well...
    06-09-10 08:56 PM
    Hmm... Thanks guys! Some of those look potentially good. And through that I found The World Of Pootermobile which looks like it has a lot of decent looking free themes.

I guess I can jump ship and see what happens. I just know that upgrading BB OSes is sort of a finicky process (only done it once before because of that). The only reason why I want to upgrade now is because for the past week, my phone has been locking up randomly, forcing me to do a battery pull. I haven't changed anything recently for it to start doing that, so the only thing I can think of is an OS upgrade. =S

I guess I'll suck it up and lose my theme. I probably won't be able to downgrade back to 4.6 properly once I'm at 5.0, so here's hoping it goes well...
    I recommend using CrackMem to shrink your OS before installing. http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/crac...eleased-52044/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ne...memory-142376/

Also you can use BBSAK to back up your 3rd party apps. RIMGeeks.com • View topic - [Beta][10/25/09] BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife v1.7.0
    06-09-10 09:02 PM
    Actually, I was just going to do the following procedure (the one found on the page with the OS download for .681):

I recommend upgrading as follows:

1. Download the OS and install it on your PC. (Make sure you have already removed -- via Remove/Add Programs in Control Panel -- any older OS you have installed on your PC.)

2. Delete the file vendor.xml (it's in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\)

3. Connect your Bold to your PC and run App Loader (you'll find it in the same place where you found vendor.xml: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe).

4. Follow the prompts, making sure the default of having App Loader back up and restore your data and apps is selected.
    Would that not be the best way? I'm not too concerned about my apps because I don't have many of them. The only one I've paid for and would want to keep is BerryBuzz, but I'd need to get the 5.0 version of it... Is it okay to upgrade with the 4.6 version installed, and then change it to the 5.0 version afterwards?

Other than that, the apps I have can simply be re-downloaded if the AppLoader does not restore them.

My main point of concern are my SMS and email messages. Those will still be there, right?
    06-09-10 09:12 PM
    Actually, I was just going to do the following procedure (the one found on the page with the OS download for .681):

Would that not be the best way? I'm not too concerned about my apps because I don't have many of them. The only one I've paid for and would want to keep is BerryBuzz, but I'd need to get the 5.0 version of it... Is it okay to upgrade with the 4.6 version installed, and then change it to the 5.0 version afterwards?

Other than that, the apps I have can simply be re-downloaded if the AppLoader does not restore them.

My main point of concern are my SMS and email messages. Those will still be there, right?
    Do a backup with DM first just to make sure your user data is not lost.

You do not have to use the utilities I mentioned. I just provided them, since they will allow you to get rid of unnecessary stuff on the OS in order to conserve memory. I always use CrackMem to delete stuff I do not use to allow more app memory.
    06-09-10 09:16 PM
    Do a backup with DM first just to make sure your user data is not lost.

You do not have to use the utilities I mentioned. I just provided them, since they will allow you to get rid of unnecessary stuff on the OS in order to conserve memory. I always use CrackMem to delete stuff I do not use to allow more app memory.
    Ah, I see. Okay, much appreciated then. I wasn't sure if most of the things I could get rid of using crackmem would free up more of the general system memory or the app memory, because it's the app memory I'm concerned about. I'll look into it, though it looks like most of the instructions on the forums that show crackmem screenshots are for 4.6 versions of the OS.
    06-09-10 09:54 PM
    Hulkster has a wide variety of great Today themes that I highly recommend:

Blackberry Bold 9000 Themes by Hulkster1970
    06-10-10 08:17 AM
    Hulkster has a wide variety of great Today themes that I highly recommend:

Blackberry Bold 9000 Themes by Hulkster1970
    Oh wow, thanks for that! Looks like what I currently have, except 7 icons instead of 6.

What is the "CANDARA" version of each theme? Some differences?
    06-10-10 10:08 AM
    Why is this is in service outages lol?
    06-10-10 11:16 AM
    Why was this moved from the Bold 9000 forum to Service Outages? Come on now, guys...
    06-10-10 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD