What is with all the themes on this site that you can't try them out? There is no way that I am going to pay $7 for something that I can't see on my Bold.

Is there another site that has themes that you can try out before buying?
    11-06-08 07:50 PM
    why dont you google it yourself.
    11-06-08 07:52 PM
    how you are you gonna "try" a theme?if you refuse to not pay for them then don't or maybe watch a video about the theme.until then stick with free themes.
    11-06-08 07:57 PM
    What is with all the themes on this site that you can't try them out? There is no way that I am going to pay $7 for something that I can't see on my Bold.

So don't! There are lots of free themes. A whole thread dedicated to them off the main forum.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-08 08:07 PM
    The simple answer is once someone "try's" a theme what's stopping them from NOT paying for it. Nothing and the great work from GadgetBean is worth the $7 in my opinion.
    11-06-08 08:11 PM
    The simple answer is once someone "try's" a theme what's stopping them from NOT paying for it. Nothing and the great work from GadgetBean is worth the $7 in my opinion.
    Free trial for 2 days and after that need registration code? Lol =)
    11-06-08 09:35 PM
    got to agree with the OP.

Bought iBerry something or other and love the theme but hate the icons. Lasted half a day, waste of $7.
    11-06-08 09:46 PM
    Free trial for 2 days and after that need registration code? Lol =)
    Thats a pretty good idea. Theme makers probably wont go through the trouble though, and there is a bigger chance for them not to get any money at all. So, I dont see it happening.
    11-06-08 09:48 PM
    Thats a pretty good idea. Theme makers probably wont go through the trouble though, and there is a bigger chance for them not to get any money at all. So, I dont see it happening.
    You are right!

And btw... to a lot of people 4 or 5 dollars will not restrict them from taking the chance. =)
    11-06-08 09:54 PM

Bought iBerry something or other and love the theme but hate the icons. Lasted half a day, waste of $7.
    Didn't you see the icons before buying?
    11-07-08 08:37 AM
    Didn't you see the icons before buying?
    yeah, but i was more impressed by how it worked on the video but it was only when I started to use that I realised I hated the icons.
    11-07-08 09:20 AM
    It comes down to what the $6 or $7 is worth to you. I will say in these financial times some would say it's a lot, but if it is you shouldn't be spending it anyways.

Consider what it costs for a nice jacked up latte etc at Starbucks and then tell me you cannot afford a theme. On my previous 8820 I had lots of themes some free that the developer offered that way and the higher end ones like Gadgetbeans I paid for. I had lots of the iBerry Themes but then again I own a MAC. Now I have the Today Plus theme for the BB Bold which will be sweet once I can actually get my BB to stay connected.
    11-07-08 11:48 AM
    it's not the $7 though, if I try 4 themes to find one I like then it's $28 or more.

I'll stick with the free today theme that someone did until I get chance to play with Plazmic
    11-07-08 12:44 PM
    why dont you google it yourself.
    The reason that I asked is because I have googled it myself but can't seem to find anything. There aren't many out there yet.

To some of the others, most developers will put a restriction on a trialware. Lasts a few days/weeks and then expires. I don't know much about the BBs as I am new to them but there must be some sort of provision built in for developers.

I will spend the money for anything that I like but to not even be able to try it is not okay. With my Palm Lifedrive, I tried a lot of software (Docs to go, etc.) and usually ended up buying them.
    11-07-08 02:55 PM
    trialware doesn't make any difference to companies losing sales, i havent checked but im sure themes must get uploaded to bittorrent sites by the bucketload. people who are going to pay do so, people who want it free will find some way to download it, just like mp3's these days. its the way of the world.
    11-07-08 03:35 PM
    Well at least GadgetBean has gone to the effort of putting up an embedded video you can see the theme in action. It was enough both times for me to jump on buying them.
    11-10-08 08:19 PM
    where can I find Gadgetbeans themes?
    08-22-09 08:16 PM
    Yeah I don't buy lots of Apps also because they don't offer a trial.

The only reason I paid $10. for Berryweather was because I liked the trial so much.

I don't buy themes but I do donate if a free theme is good.
    08-22-09 08:33 PM
    Vids and pictures don't always do justice. I have tried so may free themes that have a bunch of vids and/or pictures only to delete them a day or two later due to fonts, bugs, slowing down my phone or something else that the pic/vid didn't show. So imagine if I paid for them. No trial, no buy. There are too many free themes out there for me to buy themes anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-09 09:46 PM
    You could always make your own themes
    Thats what i did after not finding a free theme that i could live with for more than a couple hours.
    Then EVERYTHING is the way you want it...
    well not everything...
    08-22-09 11:22 PM
    i cant even begin to tell you how many themes i purchased and as soon as i got them on my bb, looked at it for 5 minutes and deleted them. dont get me wrong i can redownload but i never do..i always go back to the free ones..
    08-22-09 11:42 PM
    You could always make your own themes
    Thats what i did after not finding a free theme that i could live with for more than a couple hours.
    Then EVERYTHING is the way you want it...
    well not everything...
    good point....
    08-23-09 07:02 AM

Well, on the plus side, I bought a theme that just didn't work well and I was given my money back with very little fan fare. That's something any way. I also wish that the people who design these things might actually check them out. I got my refund because when you moved the cursor over icons, you couldn't even tell which icon was highlighted most of the time. On the main screen, you had to move the trackball up and down vs left and right to get anywhere. This was a theme supposedly made for my model (8900). A real shame since I really like its design.
    08-23-09 07:19 AM
    I have to agree with this thread. There are many themes out there (and apps) that look great but don't work so well. I love the trial idea. If you try it and like it, then buy it. This saves from getting ripped off.
    08-23-09 08:15 AM
    Here's my .02

1.) there are plenty of free themes to try
    2.) download the software to build your own theme. I did.

Now here's my point about the cost of the themes. After playing around with building a theme, I can understand why some charge. It does take some personal time to make good themes.

I laugh when people complain about a few bucks here and there. If someone is really concerned about spending that, then they should take a real good look at their budget/finances. Write down all your spending habits and keep all your receipts for a month. I'll bet that person will find that they spend a lot more money on other crap they don't need. For example, Starbucks, fast food, that extra pair shoes you really didn't need. I'm not preaching to the o.p., I'm just stating my opinion.
    08-23-09 09:19 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD