Well, I have searched high and low to an answer for this, but to no avail. So here goes. I recently upgraded to the new OS 4.6.0.167 on my Blackberry Bold. Now my phone will not open .WMV attachments sent through email. I CAN download them and save them to my phone alright, and they play fine from the media card, but cannot open them straight from the email (opening straight from the email is preferred, as space on my media card is quickly becoming limited! I would rather not have to save EVERY .WMV file before being able to see it).

I have tried all the usual suggestions (i.e. I DO have 'Blackberry Attachment Service' installed, I DO have "Docs to Go" installed, resent service books to my phone, etc.). I even went as far as to downgrade to the older OS 4.6.0.167, but now I still can't open .WMV files as attachments. I am using just the normal BIS, and am NOT using the Desktop Redirector.

Oh, and I've seen a lot of posts on here that say "blackberry's BIS service can't open .WMV files from attachments;" however, my wife's Bold opens the same file just fine straight from the email, so its NOT a file size issue either.

Any ideas floating around out there? Thanks in advance for any help!
    06-01-09 10:55 AM
    *****bump*****
    06-01-09 03:00 PM
    I had a similar problem last week and I could not open pdf or jpg attachments. I tried a million different things and somehow am now able to open them again. You can see my threads from last week. However, I don't know what I actually did that fixed it.
    06-01-09 04:19 PM
    Come on guys, 70 views and no comments? Please, help a distressed Bold/9000 user out. *****Bump*****
    06-08-09 12:23 AM
    I just left a Verizon store about the WMV issue on my Curve 8330. After a lot of research by their people thay said that WMV files are not supported on my Curve, NOR the two newer Blackberry's, Storm and I forgot the other new one. After researching thru Google I couldn't find any application for my phone installation that would allow viewing, or converting internally, for my Blackberry. The best think I found was that you can convert the file using the Blackberry Media mManager. When selecting a WMV file on your laptop it would covert it for Blackberry viewing. Again, nothing that would alow it if it came to your phone as an attachment. Bummer!
    08-06-09 08:32 PM
    Something screwed up in the POST date! I just posted the previous message on August 2009 but in the message post it shows as 2008? Just so you will know it is current info I am speaking about.
    08-06-09 08:33 PM
    the server storing (and sending) the file may not allow you to do what you are asking. If it is on a mail server those protocols may be your issue.

What you may be looking for is something that would support RTSP server connections (streaming)
    08-06-09 08:37 PM
    Come on guys, 70 views and no comments?
    I don't have an answer as I never knew WMV was supported on bb's.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 08:40 PM
    WMV is a supported file type for various blackberries

View Document
    08-06-09 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD