Hi everyone,

This is my first post to this forum, so I just wanted to say hi
    I'm thinking about wiping my handheld and starting from scratch to keep it running in top condition, similar to how you might wipe your computer and start again to clean Windows registry etc.
    I'm still fairly new to the Bold, so I wondered what to expect. I know that files encrypted on my memory card would have to be decrypted first or I'd lose access to them, and it was things like this I was thinking about.
    Does anyone have any past experiences they'd be able to share?

Thanks,

Paul
    08-01-09 07:19 PM
    Upgrade your os. The 266 and 282 os's are rock solid. I wouldn't recommend going with a 5.x version os, since all of the available ones are still pretty flaky. Wait until you get some more time under your belt before you use a vers 5 os. Also, search for upgrading using crackmem, ( will be super easy ), and read up on backing up your third party apps (if any), and also use desktop manager to backup your contacts / email / calendar. If you use win 7 to do the upgrade, don't forget to go into the usb settings and turn off the setting that auto suspends usb. I can't remember where that is but it'll cause your update to fail every time with win 7 unless you fix. Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 07:29 PM
    just .. backup using DM ... and go for it

media card stuff wont be deleted ... just wipe ur handheld .. restore the backup .. and upgrade

and ofcourse if you want to delete the 3rd party apps you will have to install them again to get ur backup working 100% like the shortcuts and homescreen icons
    08-01-09 07:34 PM
    Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies. I could try upgrading the OS (I'm running .247), but why don't they appear when I try Wireless upgrade on the BB, and also DM doesn't pick them up when searching for upgrades when I first connect?
    Also, I was thinking more of the items on the checklists on the BB website regarding what actions are taken during different wipes? Could I just wipe the handheld (including 3rd party apps) and would that have the same effect as reloading a clean os?

Thanks,

Paul
    08-01-09 07:55 PM
    I can't answer the question on the wipe, but regarding the OS version, it depends on your carrier. Each carrier has it's own "official" OS. So that means the version for Rogers is different than the one AT&T uses. Search crackberry for their "BlackBerry OS Super Page" and it will list all carriers OS's. You can get another carriers OS to work on your BB. Their are a lot of How To's on crackberry. Just search for upgrading OS. The procedure is pretty much the same regardless of the model.
    08-01-09 08:20 PM
    Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies. I could try upgrading the OS (I'm running .247), but why don't they appear when I try Wireless upgrade on the BB, and also DM doesn't pick them up when searching for upgrades when I first connect?
    Also, I was thinking more of the items on the checklists on the BB website regarding what actions are taken during different wipes? Could I just wipe the handheld (including 3rd party apps) and would that have the same effect as reloading a clean os?

Thanks,

Paul
    The OS has to actually be installed on your PC for DM to pick up the update.
    But if you're running .247 just stick with that for now. It's a solid OS.

If you wipe the handheld including the 3rd party applications it basically puts
    your phone in the state it was when it was new, out of the box. The OS
    remains the same though. If you're ready to put your new info into the phone
    you could wipe it without erasing 3rd party apps. You could delete third party
    apps one by one.
    08-01-09 08:20 PM
    Thanks everyone for your (really fast) replies.
    To be honest, theres two reason I want to do this.
    When I first got the Bold, I was completely new to BB. I'm one of the people that likes to learn by mucking around with things and only use the manual as a last resort. Everything works ok, but I thought a wipe couldn't hurt.
    Second, I linked and removed e-mail account several times. Now I have 10 inboxes under 'View folders'.
    How can I keep my encrypted files working besides moving them off with Media Manager (which doesn't work since I upgraded to DM 5)?
    Also, are there any other nasty little surprises I should expect?

Thanks,

Paul
    08-01-09 08:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD