I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question (I'm guessing it is), but I just got a Bold two days ago (after suffering with a Storm for 7+ months). I absolutely love this thing so far!

The OS I have on my new Bold is v4.6.0.167 (Platform 4.0.0.217).

It seems to be working great, but mostly out of simple curiosity (and the fact that I'm completely new to the Bold), I'm just wondering if there's any word on when AT&T is planning on releasing the next official Bold OS?

Any and all input is much appreciated -- Thanks, folks!
    Last edited by Turrese; 08-07-09 at 06:05 PM.
    08-07-09 06:03 PM
    Don't wait on it. Just install the rogers 282 OS and call it a day. I'm with att and have the rogers 282 OS on my phone. Just make sure you delete the vendor.xml file.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 06:57 PM
    The official AT&T releases are pointless anyways, and that's if they occur.
    08-07-09 06:59 PM
    Some BES users can only use official, so it would be nice for them go get some update love. I know my buddy is eagerly waiting while I flash my BETA's and BBM5.

08-07-09 07:23 PM
    They can only use official, but can they only use AT&T official?
    08-07-09 07:28 PM
    Depends on the company. My buddy can only use ATT official cause his company says so. They won't give out BIS registration info so he can update at will.

08-07-09 07:35 PM
    Depends on the company. My buddy can only use ATT official cause his company says so. They won't give out BIS registration info so he can update at will.

That's not a limitation of BES, that's just the say-so (or say-no) of his company. All one needs from the IT department to upgrade -- to any OS, there being nothing that makes an OS "official" other than its adoption by a carrier -- is an enterprise activation password. Seems like your buddy's company won't give them out unless there is a new OS "officially" adopted by their carrier. Too bad, but not the direct consequence of having BES.

I have BES but I can upgrade to whatever I want because I'm given an activation password whenever I request one. It's also worth noting that you don't need an activation password to upgrade, just to activate your BES email and calendar. The BIS equivalents will still run fine along with the rest of the phone.

Which begs the question: what if your buddy upgraded and called for a password after the fact, making up something to the effect that he had to reinstall the current "official" OS in the wee hours because he bricked the phone somehow?.

Last edited by JasW; 08-07-09 at 08:44 PM.
    08-07-09 08:40 PM
    at&t is currently testing OS 4.6.0.297.
    08-07-09 08:48 PM
    .282 is awesome!
    08-07-09 11:14 PM
    ATT has already released an official OS beyond .167. .247 has been out for a while, but your best bet is to DL a beta like .282 or .266 and install using the instructions which can be found throughout these forums
    08-08-09 03:52 AM
    ATT has already released an official OS beyond .167. .247 has been out for a while, but your best bet is to DL a beta like .282 or .266 and install using the instructions which can be found throughout these forums
    When did they release .247? There site is still on .167 and all bolds are being shipped with .167...

08-08-09 04:44 AM
    cjsph88 is misinformed. AT&T never adopted .247... and both .266 and .282 went official on other carriers, so you don't need to install a beta. Reading about the policy of your company, I suppose this info doesn't help you, but for the record, ANY company's official build will work on a Bold with any other carrier, without negative repercussions, as long as vendor.xml is deleted. There's also no difference between beta and official versions. Once a carrier decides they like a beta well enough to want to support it, they can release it and no real changes are made to the OS. I have no idea why AT&T refuses to start offering .247, .266, or .282... all three solve several known issues that .167 has. The first thing I'd do after buying an AT&T bold is replace the OS with .282, especially BBCrackman's hybrid of .282 with the 5.0 browser and BBM. That improves performance so much!

08-08-09 06:01 AM
    cjsph88 is misinformed. AT&T never adopted .247... and both .266 and .282 went official on other carriers, so you don't need to install a beta. Reading about the policy of your company, I suppose this info doesn't help you, but for the record, ANY company's official build will work on a Bold with any other carrier, without negative repercussions, as long as vendor.xml is deleted. There's also no difference between beta and official versions. Once a carrier decides they like a beta well enough to want to support it, they can release it and no real changes are made to the OS. I have no idea why AT&T refuses to start offering .247, .266, or .282... all three solve several known issues that .167 has. The first thing I'd do after buying an AT&T bold is replace the OS with .282, especially BBCrackman's hybrid of .282 with the 5.0 browser and BBM. That improves performance so much!

Hey, don't want to hijack the thread but is there a link to this hybrid OS?

08-08-09 06:47 AM
    I got m Bold on June 20th and my rep said new OS to be out in September!!

08-08-09 07:20 AM
    That's not a limitation of BES, that's just the say-so (or say-no) of his company. All one needs from the IT department to upgrade -- to any OS, there being nothing that makes an OS "official" other than its adoption by a carrier -- is an enterprise activation password. Seems like your buddy's company won't give them out unless there is a new OS "officially" adopted by their carrier. Too bad, but not the direct consequence of having BES.

I have BES but I can upgrade to whatever I want because I'm given an activation password whenever I request one. It's also worth noting that you don't need an activation password to upgrade, just to activate your BES email and calendar. The BIS equivalents will still run fine along with the rest of the phone.

Which begs the question: what if your buddy upgraded and called for a password after the fact, making up something to the effect that he had to reinstall the current "official" OS in the wee hours because he bricked the phone somehow?.

That's what I said. His company is the prob. So an official ATT would be nice, I'm sure that is not the only company like that. His company won't give him registration info to freely update.

I thought I made that clear already...

08-08-09 12:42 PM
    Hey, don't want to hijack the thread but is there a link to this hybrid OS?

That would be nice...anyone got one?
    08-08-09 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD