Howdy all,

I'm trying to help a technophobic co-worker of mine with an issue she's having with her BB, a month-old Bold 9000 on 3G with AT&T. I use a Pearl 8130 on U.S. Cellular, so there are some things I can compare to on mine and others not. I did my homework as well as possible in preparation for posting this - Googled extensively, searched blackberryforums and crackberry, scrolled thru the Bold user guide. No solutions yet. I'll try to make this as succinct as possible.

She wants to access the website of a local newspaper, (can't post link but it's the Portland Press Herald) This site requires that users enable cookies and java in order to view most of their sections, and if one does not do so, the homepage will load almost completely and then at the very end, redirect to a page telling the user they need to have cookies/java enabled. I know as a new user to CB I can't post a link to it, but it is clearly a proprietary error page, NOT a javascript error. Anyway. A while back I had reacehd same error page on my desktop using IE7; if not for that, I would think it was an isolated issue on my friend's BB, but I know that isn't the case. If i remember correctly, the issue was resolved on my desktop as soon as I enabled java and allowed cookies. Unfortunately, the same does not appear to be working for my friend's Bold. I made sure all java options are enabled in browser settings, and according to the cache info, there ARE cookies in place, so obviously they are enabled. Still the error message. I've wondered if it's related to some sort of advertising function they tack on at the end, because if you hit 'Stop' when the page display has loaded but before it runs the final scripts, you can view that page (though would have to do the same on subsequent pagesnot exactly feasible on a handheld where 'Stop' involves more than slapping the escape key.) I'd also mention that at no point since purchasing my BB have I had the same problem.

My attempts at troubleshooting so far on the device itself:
    - made sure the OS and applications are up to date
    - shutdown/battery out 30 seconds/restart
    - battery out while phone is on/ 30 seconds/restart
    - disabled/enabled all javascript options in the browser options section
    - cleared history/cache/cookies & restart
    - tried all the different browser and MDS browser configs available - MediaNET, IE, Hotspot, Blackberry
    - disabled/enabled push settings (didn't think this would be related, but tried anyway)

Other things tried:

- Getting in touch with AT&T - so far they have not been much help, suggested contacting the paper.
    - Getting in touch with the paper - my co-worker got in touch with the director of online services for the paper and is awaiting a call back (that was yesterday or friday)

Other ideas I have that we haven't tried yet:

- trying an alternate browser, like Opera Mini - my friend is a little nervous about that but I'm sure she'll give in to at least trying it if the problem persists. It would at least help to isolate whether the problem is native to the browser. I tend to doubt this, having had the same problem on my desktop, but it's always a possibility.
    -uninstalling and reinstalling the browser, though I'm skeptical this would have any positive effect - everything appears to be working properly and she's not having any problems with other pages that use cookies and java (yahoo in particular, which I know other folks HAVE had cookies problems with.)

If this were my own device, I'd be ready to roll up my sleeves and dive into command-line troubleshooting; however, I am not a programmer and though I relish problem-solving and trying new things, I don't want to eff up anyone else's (brand new) phone.

So. With the knowledge that this is a highly isolated problem lacking blanket relevence to most blackberry users, I nonetheless present the issue to anybody on here that might have any other suggestions. Allons-y!

thanks,
    -t
    08-03-09 02:05 PM
    I went to the Portland Press Herald website and got the error message you mentioned. But when I enabled javascript by pressing j, it worked. Btw, I just googled portland press herald, so I'm not sure if it's the right paper (in Maine). I'm using OS 5.0.0.130 and using the Internet Browser. Also have at&t.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 02:41 PM
    'Morning, thanks for responding so quickly. The OS on this one is 4.6.0.167, tho I don't think it's on BES - would that have anything to do with the issue? I tried what you suggested, pressing J to enable, didn't appear to have changed anything. Also tried holding it for a few seconds and threw in a battery restart for good measure - upon restart, received 3 error messages:

Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
    Uncaught exception: java.lang.Error
    Uncaught exception: ApplicationRegistry.waitFor (0x7491f7b6ae80681a) timeout

After that, browser/email/other apps not showing, which I have heard of from other users.. another restart and then no errors. Just for s&g I tried pressing J on the press herald website again, still not working. Anyway, I think there are greater issues with this phone and I'm going to recommend that she take it back into AT&T to have them look at it again.

Thanks for your help.
    -t
    08-04-09 06:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD