like it says i want to unbrand my bold but i need a walkthrough and the link to get the program that enables you to do it...where can i get all of this...i'm running a 282 hybrid os if that helps...holla at me and thanks in advance guys!!!!If anything send me a pm because cb will probably lock this thread...thanks
    08-05-09 11:00 AM
    If you knew ahead of time that CB would most likely lock this thread, why did you post it? Why not just search the forums for previously posted topics or even Google. A simple search on CB would have gotten you this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/unl...anding-181612/

Chris
    08-05-09 12:45 PM
    I actually didnt know b4 posting...i was told by my friend which i cinsulted after making the initial post then i edited the post...anyways thanks for the link...i actually wanted to pm you about it but i'm not allowed yet...bcause you seem to b the guy to talk to about this stuff...could i get ur pin...
    08-05-09 12:56 PM
    Nah. I get enough unwanted "traffic" via e-mails, IMs, etc. No offense. PM me when you can.

Chris
    08-05-09 12:58 PM
    yeah so i read all the threads on unbranding the BOLD and from what i understand the program itself is illegal but is unbranding illegal? There's peoples saying it is and others r saying its just the program...maybe tronyx could shed some light on that for me...and i want to apolagize for the taboo subject i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to posting on threads...sorry
    08-05-09 01:16 PM
    What's it mean to unbrand a phone?
    08-05-09 01:25 PM
    quickly it won't say rogers when u boot up ur phone i think it'll say something like property of rim i think...tronyx might be able to help u out with that because that's not the only thing it does...and btw i'm learning that its a taboo subject on alot of forums...
    08-05-09 01:37 PM
    quickly it won't say rogers when u boot up ur phone i think it'll say something like property of rim i think...tronyx might be able to help u out with that because that's not the only thing it does...and btw i'm learning that its a taboo subject on alot of forums...
    It is taboo. Honestly Im surprised a mod hasnt locked this thread. I don't think unbranding your phone is illegal because by all means its YOUR phone. But i do know the software is illegal. and carriers don't like you doing it at all. I attempted it one time and then decided it was too much work if i had to rebrand it. the only thing I could see positive about unbranding is being able to force your phone to connect to a 3G tower reguardless of signal strength. Good Luck tho
    08-05-09 05:20 PM
    What exactly are your motives for unbranding your phone?
    08-05-09 05:41 PM
    Debranding your device will void the warranty. So if you ever need to take it into the store, forget about it. The software isn't to be played with and can render your device useless.

Also, the software on the device isn't "yours" and its not the "carriers". Its RIM, hence the license agreements. Any type of modification to the device or its software that deviates from its intended use voids the warranty.

FYI: if you guys want to discuss debranding, go right ahead. But no links to illegal software can/will be posted. Again, I urge you to use caution if attempting to use any software that you're unfamiliar with or try to de-brand the device with.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 06:54 PM
    i unbranded mine and honestly there is no difference except for the lack of a splash screen of a carrier. it used to be the e-screen that was available but now that there is the code generator theres no need for the unbranding at all
    Last edited by nikolous; 08-05-09 at 07:45 PM.
    08-05-09 06:57 PM
    i unbranded mine and honestly there is no difference except for the lack of a splash screen of a carrier. it used to be the e-screen that was available but not that there is the code generator theres no need for the unbranding at all
    There is no benefit of an unbranded device. 99% of people have no idea how to properly use the Engineering Screen anyway, so its really pointless. And there's only so much you can do anyway without the Radio Lab Tool. And nobody on this or any other forum has the latest version that's not supposed to, so people are limited in what they can do.(V1.9 is worthless).

I'm against any debranding their device. There's honestly no point or benefit in doing it. Plenty of people have completely trashed their device by trying to do it as well. If the carrier or the manufacturer wanted or was ok with debranding, the device would have came that way from the store.
    08-05-09 07:03 PM
    There is no benefit of an unbranded device. 99% of people have no idea how to properly use the Engineering Screen anyway, so its really pointless. And there's only so much you can do anyway without the Radio Lab Tool. And nobody on this or any other forum has the latest version that's not supposed to, so people are limited in what they can do.(V1.9 is worthless).

I'm against any debranding their device. There's honestly no point or benefit in doing it. Plenty of people have completely trashed their device by trying to do it as well. If the carrier or the manufacturer wanted or was ok with debranding, the device would have came that way from the store.
    Exactly why I stopped "promoting" the unbranding process. It's not worth it and there are legit ways of accomplishing the main goal(s) of unbrandind. The new .282 OS for the Bold gives you the 3G/2G switching capability which was the biggest thing.

Chris
    08-05-09 11:24 PM

Seriously? For someone with some patience and knowledge I think there's a huge benefit. Sure .282 gives you the option the switch between 2G and 3G, but will the newer OS's? There are some fairly basic tweaks that are great, and the rest is just fun to see. I think as long as someone does there research and makes an educated decision, there's absolutely nothing wrong with unbranding.

As far as I'm concerned it's my phone and I'll do what I want with it. If the warranty is that important to you than don't mess with it, otherwise have fun! I'm not endorsing unbranding, but I don't regret it for a second. I despise the hardware crippling software modifications that are made by wireless SERVICE (not hardware) providers to phones that we are apparently purchasing. When the function of those phones doesn't correspond the original manufacturers intent I think there's a big problem. Rant over.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 01:33 AM
    what i meant to say was the device is yours so if you want to screw with the software and void the warranty then by all means do so. rim will most likely know you screwed with it if you send it off for warranty repair tronyx is right. 2G/3G switching was the main goal of debranding.
    08-06-09 04:05 AM
    My phone isn't under warranty anymore anyways I've already changed the mid-plate myself and the bezel and the bottons and the trackball so if my phone chokes out on me i'm screwed either way...so to be honest with everyone I have no real reason why I want to do it...I just want to do it just cause...
    08-06-09 08:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD