11-11-09 01:44 PM
46 12
tools
    Has anyone else had trouble maintaining signal strength with a Bold on the ATT network? Weeks went by where I struggled just to get one bar so I set it down on the desk and called customer service from my Curve (which had full signal) and asked "How am I talking to you right now?" ATT has replaced my bold twice with absolutely no change. I finally settled for a 2nd Curve so I could have a working device. I'm not impressed and I am not finished talking to them yet. If only I could get someone from 611 that speaks better "Engrish".......
    11-03-09 10:33 PM
    I upgraded to the Bold when AT&T first got them, I'm on number 8 now. Everyone of them has had random restarts, searching for network, drop calls, freezing, white screen. Currently running the latest and greatest AT&T .297 and it still does the same thing. It will go from full bars, 3G to searching for network at the drop of the hat. The 8310 curve was the only blackberry I didn't have problems with, I wish now I would have kept it, but I had to have the latest and greatest blackberry. What a mistake it has turned out to be. My two cents only.
    11-03-09 10:56 PM
    it's been proven that AT&T's 3G network is a joke. I get full 3G bars and I miraculously drop a call or is 'congested.' Coupled with the influx of iPhone users which truly crippled the network. The iphone should have launched with Verizon a long time ago.

I'm on my 4th bold replacement refurb, and I've come to the conclusion that it is not a hardware issue with the phone, but of the network that succumbs to the fluctuation of the 3G signal. I love the bold to death but what use is it if the network behind it is utterly a joke?

I've tried explaining to tech support and to the people in the device support center my problem and they all agree it IS the network and the only thing they can do is get me another refurb. But in reality I will experience the same network issues.

Of course the 2G curve phone is better cause AT&T's 3G network is not at its full potential. The 2G EDGE is far superior IMO in terms of call quality and stability (heck that's why under the mobile network options it says 3G & 2G so it can purposefully fall back to EDGE). Oh and one more thing, when the network switches from EDGE to 3G or vice-versa you will 99.9% drop a call. Guaranteed.

Nation's fastest 3G network? Sure why not (WHEN IT WORKS)

Nation's most RELIABLE 3G network? H-E-L-L NO
    (Verizon is looking pretty good right about now)
    11-04-09 12:29 AM
    like "violatizzle" said

im also on my 4th refurb phoneand yes 3G sucks if you dont have a damn iPhone. my brother has an iphone 3GS, thanks to him i prolly dont have 3G hahaha

at&t 3g should be named (i3G)

the only people that really are able to use it are iPhone users.

im on 2G (on the network settings) all the time i gave up with 3g LOL
    11-04-09 03:44 AM
    ive had my phone for 5 months and i havent had any problems at all with coverage or dropped calls. the first thing i did when i got the phone was upgrade to 4.6.0.266 and ive been upgrading to the latest OS ever since. right now im running 5.0.0.314 and the only problem im having with that version is the massive memory leaks im getting. i used to have an iphone 3g and my reception has been comparable if not better with this phone. i almost always have 3G reception and it rarely switches to EDGE.
    11-04-09 04:31 AM
    I skipped the ATT bold and got mine from rogers and have yet to experience the same problems as those with an ATT bold! I opted for rogers bold so I could have the option to use 2G or 3G as necessary fortunately it is an option for att bolds now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-09 07:10 AM
    Knock on wood! Last year when my wife had her LG Shine, her phone dropped calls, missed incoming calls (went to vm without vibrating or ringing), and had a lot of echoing when she did speak on the phone. She went through numerous refurbished models, and at the same time, I never had a problem with my 8310 Curve.

In August, we were lucky to get early upgrades and my wife switched to a Samsung Eternity and I now have a Bold. Haven't had any problems (other than a continued obsession/addiction with by BB) with either phones.

One thing I have learned over the years...don't buy any technology that is in it's first year or so of production. I know that's hard to follow, especially since things are obsolete 4 months after being introduced to the public, but every time I buy something like a first year production vehicle or the latest fantabulous gadget, I end up with a piece of junk that only frustrates me into submission, and makes me bang my head on the nearest wall.
    11-04-09 07:25 AM
    I keep hearing these BOLD complaints but I have not had one issue with mine since the day it released. Maybe I am just in a good area but I switch from edge at home to 3G at work with no issues.

11-04-09 07:41 AM
    Over the last six months, I have been dropping calls and suffering from random reboots with three different Bolds. I can rarely make a call where 'call failed' does not appear. I am fighting to get out of my contract...if they cannot provide me acceptable wireless service, I am not paying to get out of the contract. If only I can be sure that Verizon will be better, I would be gone already.
    11-04-09 07:49 AM
    Wow guess I too should knock on wood as I have not had any issues with my bold. It is the original one I purchased back in 11/1008. Network stability is great for me. Have not had any issues with dropped called besides an occasional one here and there, but nothing to even come close to ***** about. I can't seem to figure out how could there be such problems with some and with others nothing....again let me knock on wood.
    11-04-09 08:00 AM
    I've noticed all of these problems myself. I have tons of dropped calls on my Bold, or just those dang "Call Failed" issues in the middle of important conversations. Sometimes my Bold says I can't make a call unless it's an emergency, whatever that means.

My Bold is going to be a year old in December and I've used the same one since I bought it. Part of me wants to chunk it to get an iPhone, but I know it's still on AT&T.
    11-04-09 08:29 AM
    got my AT&T Bold last May, currently running the 2nd .297 OS from AT&T.
    since getting my Bold i don't remember having dropped calls, 3G signal is consistent; except inside our EE Testing Lab it will search for network then to 2G and sometimes no network.

my wife has iphone 3G, both the signal strengths are almost the same.

no random restart here, hopefully not.
    11-04-09 08:32 AM
    I have all the same issues. Its not my Bold, its AT&T's implementation of 3G, which has been horrible since they turned on MMS for iphone users. Bye bye AT&T, hello Verizon.

11-04-09 08:42 AM
    Any time I've had problems with my Bold, it usually ends up being a service problem with ATT. I do seem to be losing 3G a lot more frequently in the past several weeks here in SW IN, but my wife is having the same issues with her iPhone. Actually, her problems have been a lot worse than mine: VM showing up hours later, calls straight to VM, etc.
    11-04-09 09:16 AM
    I skipped the ATT bold and got mine from rogers and have yet to experience the same problems as those with an ATT bold! I opted for rogers bold so I could have the option to use 2G or 3G as necessary fortunately it is an option for att bolds now.

It really wouldn't matter what carrier's branding was on the device. It is possible to use a different carrier's OS as long as the vendor xml file is deleted when installing the OS. I used Vodafone UK's version of .282 before I switched to AT&T's .297, so I did have the capability of switching from 3G to 2G.
    11-04-09 10:05 AM
    I'm on .297 too, the one AT&T re-released. I never dropped my phone or modded it. I guess it's my area? (Metro New York City) I, too get complaints from people who call me that calls go straight to voicemail and I get voicemails 30 minutes to an hour late.

Ridiculous.

And I fear that the new Bold 9700 coming to AT&T will be plagued by the same problems with spotty 3G coverage. I'm due for an upgrade for the past 3 months but I'm really uncertain if I will renew my contract anymore with AT&T.
    11-04-09 11:06 AM
    I thought it was just me. I'm in the Chicago area and have nothin, but issues with the network. Downtown is one of the worse for me.
    11-04-09 12:49 PM
    I'm on .297 too, the one AT&T re-released. I never dropped my phone or modded it. I guess it's my area? (Metro New York City) I, too get complaints from people who call me that calls go straight to voicemail and I get voicemails 30 minutes to an hour late.

Ridiculous.

And I fear that the new Bold 9700 coming to AT&T will be plagued by the same problems with spotty 3G coverage. I'm due for an upgrade for the past 3 months but I'm really uncertain if I will renew my contract anymore with AT&T.
    I've been noticing more and more complaints about 3G service and dropped
    calls in the NYC area. I think you have a legitimate point.
    11-04-09 01:13 PM
    I'm from NY also, there are a lot of issues right now with the network but are being worked on (take that with a grain of salt if you want). It doesnt matter if you have a cheap flip phone or a $500 berry, the coverage wont be as good as it should be until the network is back up to par.
    11-04-09 01:15 PM
    The biggest New York critic against the Bold on AT&T is Howard Stern. He raved about the phone when he first got it but coverage in NY is so horrible he finally switched to the Verizon Tour.

I'm in CT and luckily I've never had a problem with dropped calls or spotty 3G coverage here. The one and only time I had an issue was at Yankee Stadium I had an SOS signal. AT&T is a huge sponsor and yet can't get a signal at the stadium. Pathetic.
    11-04-09 02:14 PM
    *sigh it's the network at fault not the device

Come December when my 2 years is up, Verizon has a new customer
    11-04-09 07:25 PM
    Well, not going to waste a bunch of time repeating the same stuff 100 other people have said.. but i agree and had same issues.

Just turn off the 3g network access! I know this shouldnt be the solution but it will fix the problem... AND your battery life will go WAY up!!
    11-04-09 08:04 PM
    Same issues for me. I have had it for a while now and I drop at least 3-4 calls a day. I don't even bother replacing the phone cause I read threads like this and know it's not going to do any good. I have the latest upgrade and have tried all the os upgrades and leave it on 2g and it still drops. Nothing works. Some of you are lucky and in good areas and don't have this dreaded problem but I can't hold a call on my couch or in my office or driving on some major highways in Wisconsin. It's pathetic but I'm stuck. I had the same problems with my HTC Fuze. I keep saying I'm going to leave AT&T but I hate Verizon and Spring doesn't have the phones I want and frankly everyone I know is used to me just hanging up on them all the time so I guess I've just gotten used to crappy service. It's a shame since I pay so damn much but I don't feel like sitting on the phone with someone who can hardly speak English to plead my case.
    11-04-09 08:14 PM
    Glad I found this thread because I am going to AT&Trash tomorrow and show it to them. I have been having the same problem on Long Island.
    Thought it was my replaced Bold. Had the problem with the AT&Trash OS. I am now on a 5.0 system and still have problems. SoS and one bar sometimes.
    My son has Verizon Storm and has a problem in his room only. No Service. He called up Verizon and told them, they said Download some patch and now it is working.
    I have a contract through the City and have 3 phones at a very good deal, but I am tired of this problem.
    Also in PA I hardly have service unless near I-80 around Harrisburg. Sometimes I have service in Williamsport and forget about Altoona or near State Collage.
    In NJ is another problem right after Atlantic City. Melville is like a complete dead zone. Yet my friend on Verizon has no problem at any of these places.
    I tried the 2G-edge and it seems better but still not getting proper service....AT&Trash you listening or do you have no service either to hear our complaints

11-04-09 11:16 PM
    I used to have miserable coverage in my house with my iPhone. Most of the time I would only get 1 bar of Edge at the most. Since switching to the Bold, I get 2 or 3 bars on Edge and 2 bars of 3G occasionally, which is a big improvement in my opinion over what I was dealing with when I was using the iPhone.
    11-04-09 11:25 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD