hi guys, im new to crackberry but ive visited every so often looking for info. ive read past threads about the bold's trackball and how it often stops working in one direction. my situation is a bit different though and i wanted to see if anyone has had this happen to them. my trackball is currently stuck (electronically). i can click the trackball and it will take me to the desired application which is currently selected so theres nothing wrong with the "click" function of the trackball but i cannot move up, down, left, or right so ya it wont move in any direction. the trackball feels the way it did when i first bought it and IT DOES STILL ROLL. it seems like a electronic malfunction to me since the trackball isn't physically stuck in place and when i roll it in any direction, there's no response on the screen. i tried pulling the battery numerous amounts of times, blowing air into the trackball, rubbing alcohol on the trackball but still, nothing works!

Any clue or ideas as to what the **** is going on will be much appreciated since i have to use google maps to navigate my way around new york city tomorrow which i heavily rely on but i cant move the cursor to it to select it!!! as of now i am F**ked
    Thanks to anyone who can help!!
    08-02-09 07:48 PM
    i have to use google maps to navigate my way around new york city tomorrow which i heavily rely on

... who can help!!
    No problem, us NYC folk are very friendly and will take you anywhere you want to go without a map
    08-02-09 07:52 PM
    You might need a new trackball! There might be places in NYC to get them from but I wouldn't know. I know you can buy them off of eBay or from Cellular Nationwide Network - 3G, Sony, Panasonic, LG, SonyEricsson, Nokia, Tools, BlackBerry,

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 07:53 PM
    You might need a new trackball! There might be places in NYC
    try
    Portatronics.
    169 Thompson St (at W Houston St) phone: 646-797-2838
    307 W 38th St 8th Floor (at 8th Ave)
    2 W 46th St 16th Floor (at 5th Ave)
    08-02-09 07:57 PM
    haha i appreciate that mandony. believe it or not, im from long island yet im the only new yorker that doesnt know my way around New York City too well. thats why google maps has been a freaking lifesaver for me....

And as for getting a new trackball, i was trying to avoid taking the thing apart myself since it voids the warranty and with my luck i will screw it up. but if its my only practicle option without spending 500 bucks on a new bold, then i will go for it.
    08-02-09 07:58 PM
    If it's under warranty, which it should be, you can take it in and get the entire phone replaced for free.

08-02-09 08:00 PM
    i got the phone for christmas this past december. i have no idea if its still under warranty. how long does the warranty last?
    08-02-09 08:03 PM
    How long have you had your BB? Sometimes the trackball can get dirt and dust underneath it and it can stop functioning. My friend's Curve 8330 wouldn't scroll down anymore but her BB was still covered under warranty so they just replaced her phone.

If you can, you can purchase a replacement trackball here on crackberry.com through the store and replace it yourself.
    08-02-09 08:08 PM
    i've had it for 7 months now. ive had my trackball physically jam up in one direction before but it always just worked its way lose again...never has it stopped working in all directions electronically like this. im stumped.
    08-02-09 08:19 PM
    The warranty lasts one year. Go your local carrier store and see what they can do for you about getting it replaced.

08-02-09 08:20 PM
    awesome that is good news. thanks! i figured it was a typical 30 day warranty. guess not. sick!
    08-02-09 08:21 PM
    turn the bb off. dip a qtip in some alcohol and run it over the trackball. then, press the ball in all directions for about a minute before turning on. you can also buy a can of compressed air to blow all the dust/dirt out. i had a similar issue like that with a previous bb...i was told my tmobile to run the app/software loader on DM. they said whenever the trackball malfunctions like that, it's a software error.
    08-02-09 09:04 PM
    awesome that is good news. thanks! i figured it was a typical 30 day warranty. guess not. sick!
    They won't give you a new one, you will get a refurbished device after 30 days, make sure you backup your device first.
    08-02-09 09:24 PM
    i was told my tmobile to run the app/software loader on DM. they said whenever the trackball malfunctions like that, it's a software error.

this might be a dumb question but what is "DM"?
    08-02-09 10:08 PM
    i got the phone for christmas this past december. i have no idea if its still under warranty. how long does the warranty last?
    The RIM warranty is for 12 months for the original purchaser. If someone else purchased it for you then they should be the correspondent for the return.

Regarding NYC: I use Google maps in lower Manhattan where there are 'named' streets that go in strange directions (since they were originally farm paths).
    08-02-09 10:16 PM
    Aetius: i looked up what DM was and figured out it was the desktop manager. so i ran it and a list of my loaded applications came up...what am i supposed to do after that list comes up??? and how does that relate to my trackball?
    08-02-09 10:23 PM
    It has nothing to do with your trackball, I was suggesting that you backup your information using DM, and return the device to the store for a replacement.
    08-03-09 12:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD