I have to click extremely hard for it to work. I don't know why this happened, but last night the back button wasn't working and several letter keys were malfunctioning as well (when I pressed the a button, it would print "uo" and when I pressed L it would print "hl" just to name a few. This happened to me before for no reason, and they gave me a new phone, but does anyone know any remedies for it? Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-09 08:53 AM
    never heard of it,could be some dirt just under the key pad
    06-15-09 01:42 PM
    I wouldn't even try to fix it. I'd get a warranty replacement. No reason that
    you should have to go through problems like that.
    06-15-09 01:52 PM
    Knicksfan: get another phone!

I am having the exact same problem with my 8900. I already returned one to T-mobile after about the first month because all of the keys locked up (and I lost all my saved Contacts as a result). Now, the trackball on my replacement 8900 is malfunctioning- after only about 3 weeks.

The T-mobile tech talked me through the test of the trackball, and my phone failed that test. She even mentioned that trackball problems are a known issue with this phone.

The tech said it's too late to get a return (huh?) even though the phone is under warranty. I told her the phone is crap, I want something else, even if I have to downgrade. She said I couldnt get a refund for the 8900 because it's past the 14 day "buyer remorse" period that started when I got my first 8900.

I am waiting for a supervisor to call me back.
    06-15-09 02:24 PM
    I wouldn't even try to fix it. I'd get a warranty replacement. No reason that
    you should have to go through problems like that.
    Agreed. If you experience any problems with the device while you are still within the warranty replacement period, get the thing replaced!

Chris
    06-15-09 11:55 PM
    Has anyone been able to correct the problem themselves ?
    06-16-09 01:24 PM
    i take my phone apart ang clean it quite often,in doing so perhaps im ivoiding these sort of problems
    06-16-09 02:12 PM
    this problem can still be fixed.
    I am going to China tonight, (opps, Wed 1:30AM), and my friend is blackberry dealer in the city, so I will see if I can get some replacement parts from his store. I asked him about this problem, he told me it could be easily fixed.
    06-16-09 03:56 PM
    this probably just needs to be cleaned, but i'm too lazy and would just try to exchange it.
    06-16-09 05:16 PM
    I had the same problem with having to click extremely hard with the trackball. I finally found out what the issue was. If you remove the silver trip piece around the trackball and then remove the trackball by gently tapping it against the palm of your hand, the switch on the circuit board will be exposed as a small, square about .5 x .5 cm in a yellow/brownish color.

I found that the way the switch is designed is that there is a convexed piece of metal that is held in place by the yellow/brownish material that essentially acts as a piece of tape. When you click on the trackball, it depresses the convexed metal piece to complete the circuit from a dot in the middle of the circuit board to a half-circle metal piece that contacts the convexed metal piece at all times.

In my case, I found that moisture had caused a corner of the yellow/brownish sticker to peel up and moisture had caused corrosion between the convexed metal piece and the dot in the middle of the circuit board that completes the circuit. If you VERY carefully remove the yellow/brownish sticker with the tip of a very sharp knife or tweezers, the convexed piece of metal will come off with it. You can then carefully clean all metal surfaces involved with the switch gently using the tip of a pencil covered in paper towel. Be VERY careful while doing this and I should have mentioned the battery should be removed before you start any of this.

DO NOT MISPLACE THE CONVEXED METAL PIECE. This is how the track ball switch works. I simply then used a piece of clear packaging tape and cut it to the same size as the yellow/brownish sticker that held the convexed piece of metal in place. Carefully center the piece of metal on the new sticker while keeping in mind that the apex of the convexed shape should be at the center of the sticker. Then, carefully place the sicker/metal back in place EXACTLY centered over the metal contacts on the circuit board such that it is oriented exactly how it was when you disassembled it.

Then carefully press the edges of the tape down with the top of a pencil still covered in paper towel. Now you can place the trackball and trim back in place. The clicker on the trackball should now work as good if not better than brand new!
    07-13-09 03:30 PM
    My 8110 just stopped clicking, works fine up/dn and side to side, has ronan zj found the replacements yet?
    08-11-09 05:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD