1. warweasel's Avatar
    I took my Bold swimming. Well, not really, but it ended up being under water for about 10 minutes. I've already replaced it, but I was just seeing if there is any hope of revival. I've already tried the rice thing. It turned on, once or twice, soon after the event, but now, over a month later, it won't turn on. Doesn't matter if it's the battery that was in it, or the one out of my new Bold, or if it's plugged in. Just wondering. Other than that, I guess it's just a parts phone? Thanks
    08-06-09 03:10 AM
  2. skyboxer's Avatar
    Sound like a dead one to me. Dunno what parts would be salvageable other than body parts.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 03:13 AM
  3. thekrishna's Avatar
    Yea underwater for 10 minutes? I would say dead
    08-06-09 03:23 AM
  4. pinoi's Avatar
    If you can't hold your breath under water for 10 min... I don't think your bold can too...

    RIP Bold....

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 06:38 AM
  5. doomiberry's Avatar
    Sound like is too late
    08-06-09 07:17 AM
  6. slalom's Avatar
    ....only tricks I've heard working are:

    1. Cover off, battery out, in oven at about 150 degrees f. overnight, or
    2. Cover off, battery out, in a sealed tuperware container or zip lock bag with uncooked rice.

    In both cases, the cure should be attempted as soon as possible after the device gets wet.

    In your case....I think you are out-of-luck.
    08-06-09 08:20 AM
  7. Teek's Avatar
    Sounds like thats a done deal.
    I'd use it as a practice dummy taking it apart and putting it back together.
    Maybe sell salvaged parts for cheap on Craigslist?
    08-06-09 09:59 AM
  8. slite's Avatar
    Please dont put this in the oven...if you have already done rice...its dry.

    There is no power at all? Reason I ask is because its possible the screen is just dead and the unit is on, but you cant see graphics.

    There are absolutely no moving parts in a Blackberry. Other than it short circuiting from a surge in the wet battery...there could be something to save.

    You went swimming in a chlorinated pool in a salty ocean a bubble bath? that could have reacted really poorly with the battery and short circuited the unit. Although I have just revived a Moto Razr for a friend who went swimming with his phone for longer than 10 mins.

    Where did you go swimming? Ocean, then there could be salt build up between the circuits. Swimming pool? Chlorine build up betwen the circuits.

    It may be and possibly is completely dead, but im telling you ive saved worse phones. Once it goes dead from the H2O in the first 30 seconds, it doesnt matter if it was down there for 30 days...off is off.

    I am currently using a Bold that was submerged in water and sunscreen for over an hour...its like new after a good thorough cleaning and a new lcd screen.

    If you are going to throw this thing away, Id like to take a stab at fixing it.

    BTW: keep the battery OUT of the unit!

    Also...if you have insurance, they have to replace lost phones.
    Last edited by slite; 08-07-09 at 09:15 AM.
    08-06-09 09:15 PM
  9. Teek's Avatar

    Also...if you have insurance, they have to replace lost phones.
    lmao...............
    08-06-09 09:54 PM
  10. hiitsmikee's Avatar
    damn that sucks
    08-07-09 01:25 AM
  11. PHughes's Avatar
    Please dont put this in the oven...if you have already done rice...its dry.
    I have put electronics in the oven for probably 20 years and have always had success. Most recently was my Motorola Razor, still working nicely, and my Palm Pilot, also still working.

    The trick is to get the oven warmed up, I use the "Warm" setting on my oven and have a thermometer in the oven to be sure it isn't too hot. I get it warmed up and usually turn off the oven before putting the device in.

    It really doesn't have to be very hot, 100 degrees will work. In the past with a robot I used for work, we had problems with moisture so we built a box for it and installed a simple light using a 100 watt lightbulb. The robot was stored in the box overnight with the light on, the light kept the box heated and drove the moisture out.

    The key with electronics that have gotten wet, is to get the battery out immediately. As long as you do that the circuitry has very little chance of being damaged. It doesn't take long for the circuitry to be damaged in today's devices since the circuits are so close together and so thin to begin with. Just because your device is off, doesn't mean there is no current flowing to some part of it when it comes to Blackberries.

    The only things that can suffer long term damage might be the speakers or mics, but they usually dry out nicely as well with no long term effects.

    The big thing to remember is to get the battery out right away and don't try to turn it on too soon.
    08-07-09 11:59 AM
  12. slalom's Avatar
    One other trick....on a camping trip, my Bold had an unfortunate encounter with some red wine.

    Not having rice or an oven, I took the battery out and set it on the dashboard of my car and rolled the windows up.

    After leaving it for 8 hours, everything worked as normal!
    08-07-09 12:23 PM
  13. slite's Avatar
    I dont disagree with the oven thing car thing light bulb thing etc...

    All im saying is that unless you are really comfortable with regulating heat...if you make a mistake, then its over.

    The cold methods may be safer, but I think the next time I need to Ill try yours (and if I have just baked cookies, my phone can come out bakery fresh) :-)
    08-07-09 03:05 PM
  14. PHughes's Avatar
    I dont disagree , but I think the next time I need to Ill try yours (and if I have just baked cookies, my phone can come out bakery fresh) :-)
    LOL That sounds like a good idea.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD