I apologize if this question has been answered elsewhere and I failed to find it.

I recently had an AT&T Bold stolen. I immediately reported it stolen, and AT&T told me that no one would be able to use it on their network, but that it could potentially work on another network with a different sim card. I'm wondering if AT&T would automatically report it stolen to RIM, which would result in the PIN being useless for the email, BB messenger, internet features, etc.

I have PIN messaged the stolen phone every day since I lost it, and about 24 hours (usually exactly) after I send the message it just returns a red X next to where the message is in my outgoing messages. Is this because the PIN has been disabled by AT&T? Or does it just mean the phone isn't being used by anyone else? Or is there no way to tell the difference?

Any help from someone with knowledge of how this works would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    08-07-09 04:00 PM
    I'm not positive this is the case and if I'm wrong please correct me, but I believe the red X next to the message means that your phone has not received the message. This could mean the phone is off, the battery is dead, or presumably that the PIN has been disabled even. I really don't know but those would be my guesses...
    08-07-09 04:53 PM
    Yeah, what they would do is usually block the IMEI and render the phone useless, even with another SIM Card. Though, wifi should still work, but next time, invest in "SmrtGuard".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 05:32 PM
    I figured that's probably what AT&T would do, but I wanted to make sure. I thought I might have to go directly through RIM for the PIN to be disabled. Just want to make sure that whoever stole it isn't able to use as much of it as possible.
    08-07-09 05:35 PM
    I figured that's probably what AT&T would do, but I wanted to make sure. I thought I might have to go directly through RIM for the PIN to be disabled. Just want to make sure that whoever stole it isn't able to use as much of it as possible.
    They can block the IMEI from being used on their network I believe. But if
    the person unlocks the phone it can be used on another network that uses
    GSM. The phone capablities at least. So if the person gets the phone on
    T-Mobile and add a Blackberry plan, the data plan will work unless...

You get in contact directly with RIM and have them block the PIN. That way
    the phone is useless for internet and data since the PIN wouldn't be able to
    be activated and the phone can only work as a phone. Or unless the person
    uses the regular internet browser that their provider has. To block the PIN
    might cost you some $$$$$ though.
    08-07-09 05:42 PM
    How did u have it stolen?

08-07-09 05:56 PM
    Yes call up RIM and have the pin and IMEI blocked. He wont be able to use any features of the phone. I belive at most, he can unlock the phone and use it with another sim to make calls etc...
    08-07-09 07:38 PM
    Thanks for this thread, I had my bold stolen last week-end, Rogers wont even keep track of stolen IMEI's as far as I know, so the theifs could be using it/selling it with no problem !
    08-07-09 09:52 PM
    I doubt the robber is going to keep it for himself lols. Chances are it sold already. But sorry for your loss (no one has said that yet) it is one of the worst feelings to have something stolen. Let alone a blackberry. Hope you got hooked up with a new one !

08-07-09 10:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD