Hi everyone.

I have been using my bold 9k for about a month now...my first blackberry device. I like it.

Over the past few days, whenever I use data-intensive apps (Pandora, youtube, etc), the signal strength drops and switches from 3G to EDGE. then, the data streams slow down/stop/stutter. VERY ANNOYING.

Normally, where I live, I have 3G everywhere, it only seems to drop when I try to use it.

I have called AT&T, and they didn't have a clue. Any ideas???

Thanks!
    08-05-09 06:45 PM
    What OS are you using? You might get better signal stability is you upgrade.
    08-05-09 07:08 PM
    my bold is doing it alot today...I am in 3G but keep losing the data logo...im in San diego
    08-05-09 07:09 PM
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you are running .167... Try an upgrade to Rogers 282, holds a 3G signal very well.
    08-05-09 07:12 PM
    my bold is doing it alot today...I am in 3G but keep losing the data logo...im in San diego
    What OS are you using? If you have .282 you can turn off 3G and use EDGE. At least you won't have calls drop until AT&T fixes the problem with their signal.
    08-05-09 07:13 PM
    Yep.
    1) Upgrade to .282

if that doesn't work:

2) Set 3g only
    08-05-09 07:40 PM
    Yep.
    1) Upgrade to .282

if that doesn't work:

2) Set 3g only
    Or set to 2G (EDGE) only if you get a good EDGE signal and lousy 3G signal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 07:43 PM
    Well, he's having it occur when doing heavy data streaming.

Odds are you don't want to force edge for Youtube or Pandora, since that is just painful.
    08-05-09 07:44 PM
    Well, he's having it occur when doing heavy data streaming.

Odds are you don't want to force edge for Youtube or Pandora, since that is just painful.
    True, but if there is a problem with AT&T's 3G signal then it would be a temporary fix until they fix their towers. It sounds like it's a problem with the service in the area if it just started happening now, because he got good signal originally.
    08-05-09 07:47 PM
    AT&T's network has been dropping completely off and on for the last 2-3 days in the bay area, CA.

If that's where you are and that is when it has been happening I wouldn't worry.

Yeah AT&T denies it up and down.
    08-05-09 07:56 PM
    Outages also reported in Northeast and Midwest. http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/07...phone-offline/

08-05-09 08:02 PM
    ATT's network is sucking lately. I drive for RIM testers. Since everyone has given you their "opinion" on OS choices I say go for .266. You can still switch between 2G/3G if that is a concern of yours. It ain't that big a deal, because the BOLD is a battery hog, and batt. life IS subjective.
    08-05-09 08:04 PM
    Horrible service all day. Has lost service completely at times.
    Live in santa monica Ca. Att carrier

08-05-09 08:10 PM
    streaming on the BB??? have u unlimited bytes on your contract? u might faint when your bill comes....
    08-05-09 09:14 PM
    wow what a great forum. Thanks for your insightful replies.

I am in Raleigh, NC. My operating system is .167, which the folks at AT&T led me to believe that it is the newest available OS.

please tell me more about the OS upgrade. I guess it is available on this forum somewhere? I am totally new to blackberry (though I have owned and modified many windows mobile phones). Anyway, if I upgrade, do I lose my enterprise server activation--because my company makes it a bit of a hassle to reset that...but I could do that. also, I'm guessing I'll have to reinstall various software (ie, pandora, google maps, etc...) just not sure how blackberry upgrade works.

Also, is the OS operator specific? that is, is an AT&T phone 'locked' from upgrading to Rogers OS? (I had that problem a lot with windows mobile phones).

thank you !!!
    08-05-09 09:15 PM
    Yes, I have unlimited data, but it is not worth it because the signal is crappy.

streaming on the BB??? have u unlimited bytes on your contract? u might faint when your bill comes....
    08-05-09 09:49 PM
    wow what a great forum. Thanks for your insightful replies.

I am in Raleigh, NC. My operating system is .167, which the folks at AT&T led me to believe that it is the newest available OS.

please tell me more about the OS upgrade. I guess it is available on this forum somewhere? I am totally new to blackberry (though I have owned and modified many windows mobile phones). Anyway, if I upgrade, do I lose my enterprise server activation--because my company makes it a bit of a hassle to reset that...but I could do that. also, I'm guessing I'll have to reinstall various software (ie, pandora, google maps, etc...) just not sure how blackberry upgrade works.

Also, is the OS operator specific? that is, is an AT&T phone 'locked' from upgrading to Rogers OS? (I had that problem a lot with windows mobile phones).

thank you !!!

Upgrade to Rogers 282, follow these instructions. Either or.

How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) with AppLoader | CrackBerry.com

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/
    08-05-09 10:20 PM
    Yes, I have unlimited data, but it is not worth it because the signal is crappy.
    ah... no wonder u're streaming. i think interference is subject to some of the following:
    1. low/weak/no signal coverage
    2. unsupported region
    3. signal present, but interruption due to RF interference
    08-05-09 11:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD