So recently my Bold got a little wet but is working fine...except for this click noise every time I press a key. Whenever I go to dial a number and press a number key the regular beep tone is made but followed by a small "click click"... Almost as if someone was pushing on the speaker and it was popping back out...? This seems strange to me because Pandora sounds perfect on speaker...

Am I imaging this because I expect something to be wrong with my phone because it got wet?

Would buying a new mid plate fix my issue??
    08-03-09 12:38 AM
    a new midplate won't fix an issue with the motherboard which is what the keypad sits on top of. i doubt a midplate will fix it
    08-03-09 12:42 AM
    So recently my Bold got a little wet but is working fine...except for this click noise every time I press a key. Whenever I go to dial a number and press a number key the regular beep tone is made but followed by a small "click click"... Almost as if someone was pushing on the speaker and it was popping back out...? This seems strange to me because Pandora sounds perfect on speaker...

Am I imaging this because I expect something to be wrong with my phone because it got wet?

Would buying a new mid plate fix my issue??
    That seems wierd. Go to options >> keyboard and screen and check settings, your looking for a setting that makes an audible noise when you click keys or scroll the trackball. You could also try reinstalling the OS to rule out a software glitch (read the crackberry blogs for detailed instructions and make sure you back up your data!) Your other option if you did in fact get the phone recently (less than 30 days) is to go to the store and swap it for another New Bold. If its been more than 30 days you can still swap the phone under the 1 year warranty, but you get a refurbished Bold instead of a brand new sealed phone. There's an indicator under the battery cover (it looks like a little white sticker) that turns red to indicate the phone has been in contact with water, make sure this is not the case with you phone or the warranty will be void and you will not be able to swap your phone for a new or refurbished one. think outside the box if you need to before going into the store for a phone swap under warranty.
    Last edited by ClassyBOLD; 08-03-09 at 02:32 AM.
    08-03-09 02:25 AM
    Ok... Well its not the software because I have already wiped and reloaded. Its not the keys themselves because the issue is the speaker manking a clicking noise. Basically what I need to know is, is there one speaker that functions as the handset speaker and the speakerphone speaker? I ask this because I can't tell where the noise comes from when I the keys are hit... So would replacing my mid plate potentially fix my speaker problem because a new mid plate would encompass a new speaker.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 08:27 AM
    It's a blown speaker. I had this issue on my first Bold and had to get a replacement.

Let me guess...the noise only becomes apparent on the "shorter" sound bursts? Like the audible trackwheel scroll, key tones, etc., but NOT on songs or long ringtones. Sometimes it may be at the beginning of a song, but not during the remainder. Definitely a blown speaker, because that sounds just like my issue.

You're gonna have to replace the speaker if you don't have insurance on the phone.

Hope this helps.
    08-03-09 09:10 AM
    Alright thanks that actually helps a lot. I don't want to get a replacement and change my pin. I think I will just buy a new mid plate from cnn.cn for $11. The mid plate encompasses a new loudspeaker and I am assuming there is only one in the phone and that is what is blown and needs to be replaced...

08-03-09 09:33 AM
    Basically what I need to know is, is there one speaker that functions as the handset speaker and the speakerphone speaker?
    There are stereo speakers for the loudspeaker (for music, ringtones, speakerphone, etc.) built into the antenna area of the midplate, and there's a separate speaker for the handset earpiece. Since the noise is plainly audible, it must be coming from the stereo speakers. I would buy a new midplate, you can get one at dealsishop.com for $10. Not much to lose if that isn't the problem.

Come to think of it, that should have been posed as a solution for all the people posting about the low volume problem with their speakers, get a new midplate.
    08-03-09 09:46 AM
    the speaker isnt hooked up to the midplate though :S ... only the flash is .. the speaker is part of the motherboard ...
    08-03-09 10:10 AM
    So do the key tones come from the replaceable speaker in the mid plate or the one in the handset...seems like the consesus is the one in the mid plate. Thanks for the help.

08-03-09 10:20 AM
    I guess I am just confused because playing music sounds fine but short noises like key tones make the click noise and was trying to figure out if two different speakers produce those sounds. But someone said before that it is the same speaker I guess but longer tones work fine with a blown speaker for some reason.

08-03-09 10:29 AM
    I guess I am just confused because playing music sounds fine but short noises like key tones make the click noise and was trying to figure out if two different speakers produce those sounds. But someone said before that it is the same speaker I guess but longer tones work fine with a blown speaker for some reason.

Yep, you're right. It's the same speaker, but it's the initial change from silent to loud that causes the "pop"...That's exactly what I noticed and I confirmed this with AT&T when they gave me my replacement.
    08-03-09 12:47 PM
    Yep, you're right. It's the same speaker, but it's the initial change from silent to loud that causes the "pop"...That's exactly what I noticed and I confirmed this with AT&T when they gave me my replacement.
    Do you know if AT&T said if it was the speaker in the mid plate or the one in the handset... I can easily replace the mid plate one so I am hoping it is that.

Thank you.
    08-03-09 12:56 PM
    Do you know if AT&T said if it was the speaker in the mid plate or the one in the handset... I can easily replace the mid plate one so I am hoping it is that.

Thank you.
    I don't know that specifically, sorry. All I know is when I was troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem with them over the phone, it was agreed upon that the speaker was blown/damaged.
    08-03-09 02:40 PM
    Alright thanks, I think I will just replace the mid plate regardless and see what happens...
    08-03-09 05:36 PM
    What don't people understand about keeping cells away from water? My Bold is in the leather case it came with, attached to my belt, UNDER my shirt. Is this such a difficult concept? When I am not wearing pants, the case is in my pocketbook. Try putting the cell in a bag of rice untouched for 3 days and see if problem corrects. If not, replacing anything may not be your answer at this point except for replacing phone itself with warranty and a refurbished one. KEEP THE PHONE IN CASE ON A BELT OR IN POCKET (as you are a guy). And for PETE'S SAKE KEEP AWAY FROM WATER. Too many water stories here
    What is even the point of posting this? This has nothing to do with the topic... I normally have the phone in my pocket. I left the sunroof of my car open while I was in a theatre and it rained where my Bold was sitting. I did the rice thing already and the phone is fine except for the speaker making a slight clicking noise that I can afford to fix with a 10 dollar mid plate. I don't want to warranty the phone as I have many BBM contacts so I don't want to switch PINs. I'm glad your Bold is in a leather case... I pocket mine as to avoid looking like a major tool with a cell phone on his belt, or using a man bag or whatever it is you were talking about. Please don't come into a thread that you knowingly have nothing constructive to say in. Water and Bolds not mixing is pretty elementary, no need to reiterate that, it was an accident. Thanks.
    08-03-09 06:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD