I am currently testing a Bold and Tour. When I go into the Status screen in Options there is a number next to Signal.

On the Tour it says -91 dBm and on the Bold it says -70 dBm.

The question is which is the better signal number to have? I think I remember hearing that the lower the dBm number the better the signal.
    08-04-09 10:22 PM
    Lower the better!
    08-04-09 10:30 PM
    Yes, lower number is better. But the diff between 91 and 70 is marginal at best.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 10:31 PM
    -70 db is much better than -91 db.

Doug
    08-04-09 10:31 PM
    Thanks for the quick replies, I thought I was remembering it correctly.

I don't know at what point the spread between the values would be considered critical but it does seem to me the stated values of -70 and -91 makes more than a marginal difference.

The audio quality of the Tour at -91 has a "blurry" sound compared to the "focused" sound of the Bold at -70.

I am a little surprized because I really expected the Verizon service to be better than the AT&T. I don't know if the problem is with the carriers signals or if it is a difference with the quality of the phones construction. I am getting the feeling that the Bold is a much higher quality phone.
    08-04-09 11:43 PM
    Keep in mind that comparing CDMA RSSI with GSM/UMTS RSSI isn't an apples-to-apples comparison -- they may even be calculated differently per device.
    08-05-09 01:16 AM
    Keep in mind that comparing CDMA RSSI with GSM/UMTS RSSI isn't an apples-to-apples comparison -- they may even be calculated differently per device.
    That did cross my mind but it would seem that the dBm value itself would not be effected one way or the other. Now, as to the required signal strength required for GSM as opposed to CDMA to operate at an acceptable level...?
    That is an interesting question. We now enter the realm of the ubber geek!

All I can say is that the dBm displayed on the Tour seems to be consistently higher than that on the Bold and that to my ear, the Bold seems more like a land line compared to the Tour.
    08-05-09 06:29 AM
    if you knew algebra, then you will know that -91 is not greater than
    -71, it is lower. Therefore, the -71 signal is better.
    08-05-09 07:33 AM
    <snip>All I can say is that the dBm displayed on the Tour seems to be consistently higher than that on the Bold and that to my ear, the Bold seems more like a land line compared to the Tour.
    Another reason, if it was needed in the first place, to prefer the Bold!
    08-05-09 07:34 AM
    I am currently testing a Bold and Tour. When I go into the Status screen in Options there is a number next to Signal.

On the Tour it says -91 dBm and on the Bold it says -70 dBm.

The question is which is the better signal number to have? I think I remember hearing that the lower the dBm number the better the signal.
    There's an excellent explanation here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/chan...wer-dbm-26381/

Remember these are negative numbers, and you want the largest number possible (stronger moves towards zero then positive numbers). -70dBm is a stronger signal than -91dBm. However, the user who suggested these differences are small seems to not understand logarithmic scales. Each change of 3dB doubles or halves the signal. So -70dBm is actually 128x higher power than -91dBm.

There is one other point which is not widely known. The Bold stops measuring at -70dBm and can't show stronger signals. If you show it a true -50dBm it will still report -70dBm. I don't know if this is the sensing element has hit its limit or if it's a software interpretation and display issue. Really it doesn't matter because -70 is a pretty strong signal anyway, something like 10,000x the lower limit of sensitivity (around -110dBm when it finally falls over).
    08-05-09 05:32 PM
    if you knew algebra, then you will know that -91 is not greater than
    -71, it is lower. Therefore, the -71 signal is better.
    I was going to make the same point. The higher number = better signal strength

Oh and excellent post branta, very informative

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by silence69; 08-05-09 at 06:58 PM.
    08-05-09 06:56 PM
    Some great posts in here. Very helpful.
    08-05-09 07:09 PM
    There is one other point which is not widely known. The Bold stops measuring at -70dBm and can't show stronger signals. If you show it a true -50dBm it will still report -70dBm. I don't know if this is the sensing element has hit its limit or if it's a software interpretation and display issue. Really it doesn't matter because -70 is a pretty strong signal anyway, something like 10,000x the lower limit of sensitivity (around -110dBm when it finally falls over).
    That is something I didn't know but as it turns out it doesn't matter because I returned the Bold today and will be going with the Tour. -- or ++ doesn't make any difference when the service is not available in an area. I did a little checking and AT&T does not have 3G coverage in the area I may or may not move to. I couldn't take a chance on a 2 year contract if I wasn't sure the network was in place. Verizon covers the whole state so I went with them. It broke my heart to give up the Bold because I think it is a superior device but without 3G it is only a phone. Hopefully T will build out the network over the next 2 years but by then maybe Verizon will have the top dog. At this point comparing the Bold to the Tour is like comparing a semi to a minni cooper. Unfortunately the minni cooper would win if the semi couldn't get deisel.
    08-05-09 11:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD