Okay so I had gotten my Bold a little wet about two weeks ago and I dried it out but when I turned it back on it made some pretty suspect cackling and popping noises... So I figured I had blown my loud speaker or somehow ruined it by getting it wet because my sound simply was not what it had used to be. I ordered and installed a new mid plate that contains the loud speaker and the sound seems to be improved but is still pretty bad in comparison to my GF's Bold playing the same audio...

Is there anything else that could be causing the sound quality to be slightly lower in volume/quality?? I was under the assumption replacing the mid plate would solve that...

I had also wiped and reinstalled Rogers 282 (just to prevent any potential software issues after getting it wet) but slightly differently then how I had before, maybe now I am getting the poor sound that people have reported with the OS?

Any ideas or thoughts are much appreciated.
    08-09-09 12:42 AM
    Okay. my 282 is fine just to finish that off

Sounds like maybe. Because you got the MidPlate with Speaker (and everything else of course) which also comes with contacts to plug into the mainboard for the speakers and everything else.

Were the contacts on the mainboard (the ones where the speaker's contacts touches down) look okay?
    Last edited by JohnMidnight; 08-09-09 at 03:57 AM.
    08-09-09 03:49 AM
    Hmmm I didn't see any corrosion or anything else wrong with the contact on the motherboard, I think I will pull the phone apart and check again though...
    08-09-09 09:40 AM
    My blackberry was also wet, but mine in water and sunscreen. I used a solution of distilled water and rubbing alcohol and totally submered my entire main board in a sonic jewelry cleaner (dont recommend unless you have the massive caked on corrosion that I did).

As you know I havent received my speaker yet, so I cant say that I wont have the same problem as you.

BUT

I noticed that the speaker's pins made 2 marks on the main board. While wet, these could have corroded. Since you bought your midplate with the speaker already installed, it could have been in the default position, ie: making contact with the main board at the same exact place as the old one.

Look on the main board and the speaker makes contact with a contact which comprises 2 circles. The speaker on the midplate is magnetically attached, and it pops out pretty easy. Spin the speaker so that the pins will make fresh contact with the main board.

You may as well take a Qtip and rubbing alcohol and give that area on the main board a good cleaning. Also clean the pins on the speaker.

There are a couple other threads on here that describe lower volume on the speaker and the battery cover etc...you may want to also check those out.

Hope this helps. I should get my midplate in a day or two and let you know how mine goes.
    08-09-09 04:31 PM
    Hmm, I am going to run with your idea about cleaning the mid plate with rubbing alcohol... so basically just use the q tip and rubbing alcohol and wipe down the contact and let it air dry for a couple hours? I will also check for marks on the contact.

I have seen the other threads on lower volume generally they say it is because of the mid plate not being tight enough against the main board, so I tightened the screws a little and now it seems the sound has improved but still for some reason is lower then my GF's Bold. I am wondering if this is a software issue as I wiped and loaded 282 on my phone but on hers simply loaded 282 through DM on top of 167 (on accident)... Maybe now I am dealing with the poor sound quality people speak of when dealing with 282.

The most discerning thing that remains is the pop or click at the beginning of any tone... Any key tone, music or ring tone right in the beginning I get a click noise and then the sound comes on after searching around CB, some seem to think it could be blown speakers (just replaced mine though) and some seem to think its just the speaker getting power... hard to tell.
    08-09-09 06:13 PM
    This is quite a mind teaser.

You had said before that when you typed on the keypad that it would make a click through the speaker. Does this still happen after the midplate replacement? If so, then it sounds like an issue on the main board. Was it just water that you got it dirty with? With the method described that I used because of the sunscreen, every single contact and piece of solder was cleaned off...for your situation, the dust in the water that it got wet with could have dried across a circuit or on a contact, which is sending the erroneous "click".

If the speaker volume is getting louder as you tighten the midplate, then definitely clean the contacts on the speaker and main board. Also, GENTLY pull up the pin connectors on the speaker...not alot, but do it to guarantee contact with the main board.

The software angle is also interesting, but sadly I dont have enough experience upgrading and downgrading my bold to have any opinion.
    08-09-09 06:44 PM
    Well, I just cleaned the contacts and repositioned them, hard to tell if there is any real difference but I am still glad I have more or less tried every approach just to settle my mind. It was simply some rain that hit my Bold, left my sun roof open in my car during a downpour and had my phone sitting directly under the sunroof...

The only real problem at this point is the click at the beginning and end of tones and my over all volume does not seem as loud as other Bolds'. Overall, these things aren't really big problems at all and I am just happy the thing is working properly. Hopefully it is a software issue as many have complained about the sound quality of 282 and will be resolved with the next update, otherwise I can deal for now.
    08-09-09 10:51 PM
    I hope im not beating a dead horse here, but in reference to the clicking sound:

1) have you tried to listen to a ringtone or an audio file through the earpiece and not the loudspeaker.

2) have you tried to listen to a rintone or audio file through an attached earpiece both direct wire and bluetooth?

If the audio "clicks" during #1 and #2, then the problem isnt with the midplate or new speaker. Its either software based (corrupeted files??). Download a fresh file and try that one.

OR

Its hardware based on the main board, with the circuits behind the midplate.

Good news is that you can do some more playing....

Bad news is that you can do some more playing...
    08-10-09 06:45 AM
    hahaha, well, the earpiece is fine and the and it rings fine through my headphones so pretty much it is either poor sound quality on 282 or I somehow screwed something up on the main board, although I'm not sure what would cause the speaker to click like that?

After searching through CB for a while it seems like some storm users had a problem that their speaker would click or pop right before a tone came on and with them it was actually an OS issue... I think I will just wait for a new OS and then wipe and see if that's it otherwise I will just have to live with the click as it would be something on the main board.
    08-10-09 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD