Hi folks. I just got the Bold a few days ago and started toying around with it. This is my first blackberry. I just today discovered the app store and started loading apps into the phone and realized that there is barely any space for doing so. I did look around a bit and discovered that you can't run apps from the SD card so that is out and the only workaround is removing the battery? These were relatively old posts so I'm hoping there is a better way to get more space for applications. This can't be the way things are supposed to be.... Any help/info would be appreciated. Thanks.
    08-02-09 12:52 PM
    Open your options > Advanced Options > Applications

Delete stuff you don't need, such as games. That will free up some extra space. Make sure you're running on Rogers .282, as it's the most stable one so far (please correct me if I'm wrong). I know 128mb of ram isn't much, and its frustrating to see apps installed to the ram, rather than the 1gb of storage that comes with the phone. There was info on this on crackberry already, I'll see if I can't dig it up for you.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/off...leased-251060/ - Rogers .282

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/ - Info on freeing up more memory on your new crackberry. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by TekDragon; 08-02-09 at 01:10 PM.
    08-02-09 01:01 PM
    Alright cool. I was able to get rid of some stuff. Still REALLY lame that they only give you 128mb for apps and fill half of it. That is crap. Thanks for the link. I will check it out.
    08-02-09 07:37 PM
    Hi folks. I just got the Bold a few days ago and started toying around with it.
    The Blackberry is not a replacement for a full size PC. The key functions of the BB are as a phone, and pushed email and Internet. By contrast, the iPhone offers more applications but does not have, with exception of a phone, the above BB push functions
    08-02-09 07:49 PM
    I realize that it's not a computer but they SHOULD provide much more app memory. That's just common sense regardless of the device. I think RIM has learned its lesson as the 8900, Tour, and the upcoming Onyx have much more app memory.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 10:44 PM
    Let's say the OS itself took just over half of the available device memory and you had 50mb free after that. Do you realize how many apps you'd have to install to fill that up? Let's just say the average app size is 1mb (some are more, some are less). How many apps do you want to install here?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 10:56 PM
    The Blackberry is not a replacement for a full size PC. The key functions of the BB are as a phone, and pushed email and Internet. By contrast, the iPhone offers more applications but does not have, with exception of a phone, the above BB push functions
    Thats not necessarily accurate. MobileMe, Yahoo, and Exchange have push e-mail capability to the iPhone.
    08-02-09 11:00 PM
    Make sure you're closing applications too, and not just hiding them.
    08-03-09 12:08 AM
    Look, there never is "enough". Besides, if you put all the crap that's on line on it,it'll crash on you.These devices are not meant to run 10 apps AND all the necessary apps in the back to keep the phone going. Wake up.There's always a trade off between what you want and what you get.
    08-03-09 05:03 AM
    Are you guys actually defending RIM for this? This security limitation may have been accepted when they worked with the Canadian military, but now that Blackberry is mass market there is no need for such security measures.

And before you say its more secure than the iphone, the iphone has weaker security for emails and texts etc...

The only reason why RIM keeps this in, is because back in the old days, say an enemy captured your phone or it was lost, the second they turned on the phone and connected, you could remote delete all the apps/data that were in the internal ram.

However, I highly doubt that if our Blackberrys lost or stolen, we would be afraid that the thief will see we have scoremobile or shazam installed. I'd be more pissed that I lost my expensive phone instead.

iphone apps are killing us... and the reason is, we are limited to like 400 kb to 1.2 mb apps while some iphone apps are now 100 mb because they install right onto the 16 or 32 gb hard drives.

RIM should open it up and at least allow us to install and RUN our apps from device or external memory.
    08-03-09 06:46 AM
    The best way I have found to take care of it is to install 4.6.0.282. Ever since I did that a couple of weeks ago I harldy ever have less than 30 mbs, and I have like 20 apps.

As for my opinion on the app memory issue, I do not think the os should be considered. If a person could use the 128 MB just for downloaded apps that would be satisfactory for the majority of people, and I really think they should do an update and update the Bold's app memory to 256 like the 8900
    08-03-09 07:11 AM
    i have a bunch of apps installed, 12 in all. Before loading .282, i noticed mem leakage. Now with .282, it doesn't drop as fast. I've only had .282 for a day though but I already noticed that the memory isn't leaking as fast.
    08-03-09 08:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD