Hi all, I'm just about to order a Bold but the decision rests on the answer to this question (which hopefully some will answer for me)

When headphones are plugged in, does the message alert / incoming call alert come from the internal speaker or the headphones (or both)?

I always forget to unplug my headphones from my phone when I go to bed which was fine with my old phone because the alerts all came through the internal speaker. However, I bought an iPhone a few weeks back and missed two important work messages because its text alerts only come through the headphones if they are plugged in.

So basically, if I leave headphone plugged in, will I still get an alert for new mail and incoming calls outloud.

Thanks in advance for you help.
    08-04-09 07:21 AM
    Welcome to CB my fellow monkey.

Unfortunately, the alerts will go through the headset if they are plugged in. There's no way around that.
    08-04-09 07:53 AM
    Aw nuts. So there's no way of having it do both? It's just one or the other?
    08-04-09 08:03 AM
    the headset bypasses the speaker so, it's a hardware thing.
    08-04-09 08:13 AM
    Better get that order cancelled before they charge me!

Thanks for the info!
    08-04-09 08:18 AM
    Quite honestly, the bold speaker is pretty good, and even on low volume, u can still hear it pretty good.
    08-04-09 10:31 AM
    Unfortunately, if the alerts come through the headphones then it doesn't matter how good the internal speaker is as I won't hear it.

Pity was looking forward to another toy!
    08-04-09 10:45 AM
    Or you could just remember to unplug your headphones before abandoning the device at night

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 10:50 AM
    Yeah, obviously that would be the solution, but if I forget once there's a chance that I'll miss an urgent text (that is how we are paged out for emergencies at work)
    08-04-09 11:12 AM
    i say get it, and don't use headphones. Trust me you won't regret it. the bold is great phone
    08-06-09 04:30 PM
    Don't forget although the alert will come through the headphones, unlike the iphone the
    Bold has the led indecator as well so you'll see you have a message even if u don't hear it. You
    Could also set text message alerts to vibrate so you'll get the flashing light plus fell and hear it
    Vibrating. Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 09:34 PM
    Not true, alerts will come thru the headphones so long as you have music playing, once the music is stopped alerts come through the speaker. I listen to slacker ALL day at work and I get alerts thru the headphones, when I give it a break and stop the music, alerts come through the speaker even though I leave the headphones plugged in.
    08-06-09 10:33 PM
    That's great news, thanks. I've actually got the Bold sitting here next to me (I was too lazy to cancel the order) but my sim doesn't get activated until Sunday night so I haven't had a chance to try it. Thanks again.
    08-07-09 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD