Hey I currently have a Moto Q9h with an unlimited dataplan package. Im with Claro gsm network. Im planning to buy a new unlocked blackberry bold but it came to my concer if I will be able to use the my normal dataplan with this blackberry. I've heard that you MUST have a blackberry dataplan tu surf the internet with it. Can I use my generic dataplan I currently have on my Q with this blackberry? Can i just insert my sim and use all its features with no problem including internet browing? Remember that I dont have a BB dataplan, just a normal one I get with my Q when I renew the 2 years contract.
    Claro offers the blackberry bold for $199 with 2yr contract. But the Q was free.
    08-09-09 11:57 PM
    You need the blackberry data plan to surf the web. There are a few apps that let you do stuff like surf the web on just wifi alone with out data. But you need the plan to surf net. And if you want push email you need it to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 12:05 AM
    I've always wondered if you could use start using it for "data" and if you didn't have the plan, they would charge you like a $1 a MB transferred or something---omg could you imagine?

Get the plan dude.
    08-10-09 12:15 AM
    I have a data plan just is no the fancy BB dataplan. But i have a dataplan which works well on my moto Q and I pay 30 dollars a month for this plan plus the normal payment for the voice package. In fact i pay 84 dollars a month for this phone. I just want te be sure if I insert my sim in the unlocked blackberry I will be able to surf the internet with my current dataplan.
    08-10-09 12:23 AM
    Carriers have specific data plans for BB's, they usual have a BB data plan and another for all other PDA's.
    08-10-09 12:23 AM
    Im starting to hate on blackberries. Why must the have their stupid fancy dataplan?

08-10-09 12:34 AM
    Im starting to hate on blackberries. Why must the have their stupid fancy dataplan?

this is because you you use a blackberry, you actually use blackberry servers to conduct data transfers. just take sultans advice and get it. its worth it for the most part. its not a BB if you don't
    08-10-09 12:37 AM
    Data used on the HandHeld is encrypted and sent through RIMs BIS servers thats why you need the BB data plan, some applications can take advantage of the Wi-Fi HTTP/TCP connections but 90% of things will end up being routed through BIS thus needing a BlackBerry plan.
    08-10-09 12:41 AM
    I am sure a BB data plan will be close to the price of your current data plan. You do not need to have both data plans. No need to hate BB's. Even if the BB data plan is a little more it is worth it
    08-10-09 12:46 AM
    Or better yet, why are you going to get a BB if you don't have the data package?

That's what you should be asking instead of whining about it.. Blackberries are DATA devices..

I guess Charter should give me my cable internet for free too? How's about free HD service..

You pay to play.. Get over it.

08-10-09 01:16 AM
    OP if you did not understand how a BB works then this is no reason to hate it

Do your research on this forum and determine if a BB is useful for your needs and pricing

Welcome to Crackberry

08-10-09 01:23 AM
    Totally, I used my at&t $15 per month data pkg when I first got my curve 2yrs ago. I had to use the MEdia net browser tho, and had no push email... That only lasted a couple of months tho, I LOVE the extra features the BB data plan has to offer!

08-10-09 01:43 AM
    Yes you can.

Every carrier I kow has a Carrier specific WAP browser.

Yes, it will cost you an arm, a leg, a kidney and your first theree born children just to pay the first months charges, but hey, thats not what you asked!

or you could get the BB data plan and get all browsing for free!
    08-10-09 02:14 AM
    It will work without it, but the BB unlimited data plan is the best one, and if I remember correctly, it doesn't really cost more than the fancy plan you had for your Moto. Even with adding the version that also includes unlimited text, and paying for the upgrade that extends my night-time hours, after all taxes and fees I'm paying less than $100 per month... barely.

It's not cheap, but your $84 figure isn't really cheap either.
    08-10-09 04:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD