Ever since getting my BlackBerry Bold last week, I've been periodically receiving what looks to be new messages (the little envelope icon without the red asterisk), but when I check my actual email or smses, there's nothing there.

I've noticed that typically when I receive a "real" email, the icon indicator has a red asterisk on it, but the icon associated with these "ghost messages" is just a plain, yellow envelope.

I've checked every single icon and folder on my device to ensure I wasn't missing something, and I'll be damned if I can find any missing messages but alas, the indicator icon never goes away.

It's also worth mentioning that the second time this happened, a reboot of the phone seemed to clear it, but this has been happening on almost a daily basis so I'd rather not have to resort to powering off / on every single day.

Thanks so much for your help.
    02-11-09 06:44 AM
    Have you checked your saved messages folder? if you have accidentally saved a message, it will still show up in this way.

Irritating as anything until you figure it out.
    02-11-09 06:47 AM
    Yep - I've checked every single folder within the message application and everything is empty. Irritating indeed! I hope it wasn't a message informing me that I just won the lottery and only have 12 hours to claim it
    02-11-09 06:51 AM
    Yep - I've checked every single folder within the message application and everything is empty. Irritating indeed! I hope it wasn't a message informing me that I just won the lottery and only have 12 hours to claim it
    As mentioned above, check for Saved Messages. They are not in your messaging folder. Mine are actually under Applications.
    02-11-09 07:33 AM
    it could also be an Instant Message or Blackberry Messenger notification.

Also you might have an email or text message you forgot to open but only previewed.

And more than likely it's some Nigerian looking to offload you a lot of money he received from an inheritance! GET ON THAT!
    02-11-09 08:42 AM
    try this..

go to messages, options, general options, sms and email inboxes change into COMBINED then save...
    02-11-09 08:55 AM
    Could be browser message
    Go to messages, view folder and check browser messages folder

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 09:11 AM
    All things mentioned are good, but do you have any html emails? I have found in the past that if I had selected "Get all Images." after opening an email, it would sometimes come back how you are describing it.
    02-11-09 10:16 AM
    Ever since getting my BlackBerry Bold last week, I've been periodically receiving what looks to be new messages (the little envelope icon without the red asterisk), but when I check my actual email or smses, there's nothing there.

I've noticed that typically when I receive a "real" email, the icon indicator has a red asterisk on it, but the icon associated with these "ghost messages" is just a plain, yellow envelope.

I've checked every single icon and folder on my device to ensure I wasn't missing something, and I'll be damned if I can find any missing messages but alas, the indicator icon never goes away.

It's also worth mentioning that the second time this happened, a reboot of the phone seemed to clear it, but this has been happening on almost a daily basis so I'd rather not have to resort to powering off / on every single day.

Thanks so much for your help.
    Are they "Missed Calls" ?? I'm not sure though ....
    Go to your Call Log (Green answer button) - Menu - Options - Call Logging - select 'NONE' ... See whether this helps ...

Welcome to CB!
    02-11-09 10:23 AM
    I would open the messages folder and scroll all the way down and make sure you have opened every message. Messages that are in yellow have not been opened and you need to open them and close them as they will turn in gray that means message has been viewed and opened. I think you have a message that you have not opened and its still in your messages folder and that could be email, BB messenger or any other type of message. Also someone mentioned it could be a missed call.

Good Luck to you.
    02-11-09 11:51 AM
    You can also try the "U" shortcut Key which will jump you the the oldest Unread message in the folder you are viewing. If you have all your calls configured to appear in the messages list, it could be missed calls as suggested above.

If still no answer, backup your data, wipe and then reinstall your OS.
    02-12-09 12:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD