I have the AT&T bold and as all of you know it doesnt come with the option to disable 3g by default. So I installed the newest firmware found on this site and the first thing i did was disable 3G. Browsing the web is at least twice as fast now. I have the app from the app store called speed test, which measures the internet throughput and it shows me
    Max speed is : 159.32 kbits/s (DOWNLOAD)
    Max speed is : 78.49 kbits/s (UPLOAD)

to me this seems a bit far fetched. I am sure my wifi is off.
    08-01-09 12:03 AM
    Are you sure that you are in a 3G area?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 12:07 AM
    Are you sure that you are in a 3G area?

Yes sir, I had the ATT Fuze prior to the bold and it worked flawlessly on 3G, I live in brooklyn new york so I'd say my coverage is pretty good as I get 5 bars at all times. However I did notice with 3g the signal meter would go down to 2, then back to 5 whenever i was doing anything data intensive. Might be the problem.

But from my knowledge my EDGE speed should still not be that fast.
    08-01-09 12:10 AM
    kilobits are 1/8th a kilobyte... therefore you should divide the numbers you got by 8 and then see if that is what you are expecting...
    ~9KB up and ~18.5KB down
    08-01-09 12:11 AM
    oh dear.. seems i made a stupid mistake.

My 3g is going at 220 right now. Upload at 57. So those numbers are pretty low. But the browsing speed on edge is so much faster, i dont understand why.
    08-01-09 12:17 AM
    Yes I admit the same it seems its much easier and less battery consuming to use edge when browsing instead of 3G. I can never get a constant 5 bars with 3G it always bounces up and down all day long and kills my battery. But with edge browsing seems as fast and the bars don't bounce as much. add to the fact that I am in the greater los angeles area as well!

08-01-09 12:29 AM
    Are you comparing apples to apples? AKA Are you comparing the browser psot upgrade to the browser post upgrade? One of the things the upgrade did was improve browser speed.
    08-01-09 09:46 AM
    In no way shape or form is EDGE browsing speeds as fast as those with 3G. Not even close IMHO. I'm in both areas quite a bit, and I can't wait until I get back into 3G coverage.
    08-01-09 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD