After about two weeks with my 8900, I must say I'm somewhat disappointed. The main problem is the loose keyboard (as I understand, it is a common problem with this particular model), which is getting progressively worse. The letter keys, as well as the top row keys, move freely up and down, and the end call key has become creaky. Also, the bottom right corner of the screen makes a clicking sound when pressed (again, apparently a common issues). In addition, the vibration is so weak that it's nearly imperceptible and the earpiece and speaker are not as loud as I'd like them to be.

So what can you guys tell me about the Bold? Do these phones have various issues and quality control problems too or are they generally problem-free? Should I go for something entirely different, like Nokia E71?
    Last edited by Andy B; 08-03-09 at 03:41 PM.
    08-03-09 03:34 PM
    The Bold feels rock solid compared to the plasticky cheap feel of the 8900. Many complain of creaking or loose battery doors but I've yet to have this issue and I'm on my 3rd Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 03:39 PM
    The Bold and 8900 are both reliable phones from my experience. The Bold does have a better keyboard and speaker, in my opinion.

I would either take your 8900 and get a new one, or just switch to the Bold if what I listed above matters a lot to you. 3G is also a plus to the Bold.
    08-03-09 03:39 PM
    First, you cannot beat the keyboard on the Bold. For me, it's one of the high points of the phone. Also, it has 3G. The battery door creaks a little bit, but other than that, I've had no problems. I do EVERYTHING with this phone!

08-03-09 03:41 PM
    The keyboard on my Bold never got loose (on the oem or the one I swapped out).

The battery door gets creaky but it's easy to fix. Basically no phone is "problem free". Just a matter of what the issues are that you can deal with.
    08-03-09 04:04 PM
    they're both pretty good, but bold is a little better. If its free or cheap, its worth a shot right?
    08-03-09 04:07 PM
    I had the 8900 and moved to the bold and I havent regretted the move so far. Everything on the bold seems more solid and the keyboard feels a lot better to type on.
    08-03-09 06:22 PM
    N0 don't get the b0ld... I'm happy with mine and I would hate f0r you to enjoy and became addicted to such a wonderful device. :-)

08-03-09 07:17 PM
    I used an 8900 for about 5 months straight-- this is a record for me.
    About a month ago, I switched to the Bold (I had no beef with the 8900, just wanted a change).
    The Bold feels much richer and refined (I don't give a rip about 3G-- I'm almost always on wifi). I don't even mind the extra weight. Last week, I felt like I was missing the 8900 so I put myself into one..... that lasted ONE NIGHT-- went straight back to my Bold... Hope that helps!! :-)
    08-03-09 08:23 PM
    Both are pretty solid phones but I picked the Bold because it had 3G and it feels better in my hands.

I've also tried the 8900 and the only thing i didn't like was the keys. I would switch to another 8900 and see if it gives you the same problems or just got with the Bold.
    08-03-09 08:28 PM
    The 8900 looks sexier than the bold IMO but who's willing to give up 3G. Nahh.

08-03-09 08:35 PM
    I've played w both in the store and have decided on the Bold. The keyboard just blows all competition out of the water!
    On the flipside, there ARE 8900's out there that don't have wobbily keyboards. You just have to find it! lol!
    That said, I sure wish the Bold was $200 instead of $300.
    08-04-09 01:11 AM
    As a bold owner, you cannot beat the build quality of the bold. However, I would say if the only thing you didn't like are the keys, why not wait till the onyx releases. It will have a better camera, more app memory and a 624 mhz marvell tavor processor. Wait for the onyx it will be worth it.

08-04-09 01:25 AM
    persoanlly i have never had any issues with my 8900, clicking screen, loose keyboard etc......however i do think the bold is a better built phone than the 8900 even though i feel the 8900 is much better looking than the bold, i choose the 8900 because its a little smaller a little prettier and it has UMA which is important for me bacause i go abroad a lot and take advantage of using UMA for calls and using my blackberry services without pay roaming charges, also the wifi gives fast internet service which makes up for the lack of 3g.

If your looking for a better built phone go for the bold, however i can see from this forum its not without its problems, if your looking for the phone to be a little more flexible in abilities i would stick with the 8900 and sort out the issues with it.

Both are great phones just depends what you want out of it
    08-04-09 01:47 AM
    Oh i forgot to say i also have a Nokia e71 which i love and when you have in your hand the quality is fantastic infact i just brought a new battery door for it with a dragon etched into it now it looks even better.

of course it doesnt have blackberry services but some of the programes run better on the Nokia for example map applications.The Nokia does have push email and instant messenger services both of which work great i was forced to use it once when my blackberry services went down, i have a Nokia because the blackberry doesnt run services like Fring i use it for free international calls which i use daily and there are loads of free messenger clients and i like the video calling it is expensive but i have a programe that is free to use.

I love both my Nokia e71 and my Blackberry 8900
    08-04-09 02:04 AM