hello
    first let me start by saying sorry for my bad english.

I've never had a BB in my life and I don't even know how the technology behind it works or whatever... but I fell in love with the Bold and I really would love to try something new.

I found one online for a good price, it says its unlocked.
    However i won't be using this phone in the US.

My carrier is GSM as well.

I was looking for ways to unlock your BB and I came across this site, I must say it got my a bit worried.

the whole article is basically a casual review of the device, but the thing that caught my attention was this part :

"That's where the cool stuff stop I am afraid. From then on, it was a pain to get any new applications installed or EDGE/3G data out of this baby. "Fully unlocked" unfortunately didn't mean a free ride.

"The first major problem is that I can't have EDGE/3G access with this phone. AT&T recognizes the phone as a Blackberry and denies access to its network (other than voice/texting) unless you buy their expensive Blackberry package or unlimited data plan. I don't have a data plan with AT&T (although I should have still being able to access the internet at their $10 per 1 MB rate), but I do have one with T-Mobile. Unfortunately, T-Mobile just wouldn't play nice either. I tried every possible APN and related settings, but T-Mobile just wouldn't give me access to their WAN network. So the only internet I was able to get, was via WiFi.

The second problem is with installing new applications. You are supposed to go to mobile.blackberry.com to install apps, but the internal browser only saw what you see with your desktop browser. Instead, it should have seen RIM's application store! It's like that RIM doesn't recognize the phone as being a Blackberry (the user agent was correct btw, I checked it). By searching on the web, I found that you can't access that page properly via WiFi (it requires EDGE/3G), and you also need to have certain "Host Routing Table" entries in the advanced settings, but these just wouldn't fill up despite my efforts (with either carrier). Then, I found that in order to have these filled up, you need to send your "service books" and have your carrier recognize the phone as its own. This being an unlocked phone from Canada, failed to get the HRT values with either AT&T, T-Mobile and a Greek Vodafone SIM I had around and I thought that it wouldn't hurt to try too.
    "

"My conclusion is that an unlocked Blackberry phone doesn't give you a free ride the same way an unlocked Nokia or even iPhone cellphone does. "

-----------------------

So, anyone seen this before or can confirm ?
    I don't want to get this phone if i won't be able to use it to its full potential .

Thank you for helping a COMPLETE NOOB

take care
    08-10-09 06:59 PM
    If your carrier offers a Blackberry data plan then you can use it to it's full potential.
    08-10-09 07:10 PM
    My Bold is unlocked and I used a mobily SIM when I was in Jiddah. To enjoy all a BB has to offer you need a BB Plan. I think STC have BB plans so you can call them and add it to your tariff.

The guy in the post above didn't have a BB plan and that's why he can't use everything a BB can do like BB Messenger etc.

So basically you have 3 options:
    1. Get a BB plan (on mobily I think it was about SR90/month 250MB when I was there) and enjoy everything a BB can do like PUSH email and BB Messenger etc.
    2. Get a normal voice + data plan and with this you can use Gmail App to get your google emails for example.
    3. Voice only like a normal phone. No internet or email just voice.

Finally you need to know if the seller is OK and the phone is really unlocked. Meaning you can put any SIM from any country and it will work as phone. Then you need to choose which option you want from the above 1, 2 or 3.
    08-10-09 07:21 PM
    With any blackberry you need a blackberry plan to be able to use its functions. The issue that guy was having is that he's not on a blackberry plan but trying to use all the BB functions
    08-10-09 07:32 PM
    Yeah, basically that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
    08-10-09 07:51 PM
    " unless you buy their expensive Blackberry package or unlimited data plan. I don't have a data plan with AT&T (although I should have still being able to access the internet at their $10 per 1 MB rate), but I do have one with T-Mobile. Unfortunately, T-Mobile just wouldn't play nice either. I tried every possible APN and related settings, but T-Mobile just wouldn't give me access to their WAN network. So the only internet I was able to get, was via WiFi."

The fellow says why he is having a problem: he is too cheap to buy the BB plan on whatever carrier. If he were to buy the BB plan then the case is closed, and he will be happy, except that he will have to pay for it
    08-10-09 07:57 PM
    I don't get it. He's trying to use AT&T regular data plan without having an AT&T account?....

You can't access per byte rates if you don't have an account for them to charge...
    08-10-09 07:59 PM
    I think the OP got a little confused with that guy's comments. He got confused with the 'Unlocked' part hence the thread title.

To spacefonkey:
    Unlocked means you can put any SIM from any network and the phone would work as a phone (voice + text). But you need a BlackBerry data plan to use a BlackBerry to the maximum.
    08-10-09 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD