I've been a dedicated BB user since the first one they made, but I'm also a Mac user and really like the many apps and true HTML display of content on the iPhone. I currently use a Curve 8330 with VZW so I'll have to switch to get either phone, but I'm simply over the antiquated interface of the Curve. Yes, I've tried the BB Tour, but it had to go back for all the problems it had, as evidenced by the Tour section here in the forums.

My specific question: are there any Bold users out there who "really" wanted to use the iPhone, but went with the Bold? Are you happy...or would you rather have the iPhone?

My primary uses are Gmail (the app...not via BIS IMAP) and Google Sync for Google Contacts and Google Calendar. Thanks for any comparative thoughts.
    08-10-09 10:18 AM
    Buy a bold for your telephone and email needs and get urself an Ipod touch to play around all you want. the only issue is that neither of them have FM radio.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 10:23 AM
    why not just get an iPod Touch. Same thing, minus the phone.
    08-10-09 10:26 AM
    I've been a dedicated BB user since the first one they made, but I'm also a Mac user and really like the many apps and true HTML display of content on the iPhone. I currently use a Curve 8330 with VZW so I'll have to switch to get either phone, but I'm simply over the antiquated interface of the Curve. Yes, I've tried the BB Tour, but it had to go back for all the problems it had, as evidenced by the Tour section here in the forums.

My specific question: are there any Bold users out there who "really" wanted to use the iPhone, but went with the Bold? Are you happy...or would you rather have the iPhone?

My primary uses are Gmail (the app...not via BIS IMAP) and Google Sync for Google Contacts and Google Calendar. Thanks for any comparative thoughts.
    If your primary use is email, go for the Bold. If I didn't have a need for much in the way of email, I would likely have gotten an iPhone. But the Bold is vastly superior when it comes to handling email, from the great keyboard to way email is set up on the phone. Plus I have BES and my firm doesn't support the iPhone (yet) for email in any event.

But if I were just a regular shmoo who wasn't so tied into email, I would get the iPhone.
    08-10-09 10:29 AM

Get an iPhone. If you aren't using BIS, then you lose much of the BB goodness. If you are using a Mac computer, Rim doesn't play very nice with Apple equipment and requires some work arounds.
    08-10-09 10:33 AM
    Thanks for the opinions so far. I should have added I am not much of an iPod user...have one already and rarely use it. I hate Gmail with BIS and IMAP because deleted messages still won't sync properly, though I think RIM will be releasing their new Enhanced Gmail Plugin before long. Currently I won't use anything but the actual Gmail App for BlackBerry.
    08-10-09 10:33 AM
    Get an iPhone. If you aren't using BIS, then you lose much of the BB goodness. If you are using a Mac computer, Rim doesn't play very nice with Apple equipment and requires some work arounds.
    Agree with part of this...have been fighting that for years with a Mac, though the new BBDTM for Mac will also be out in September, along with the Enhanced Gmail Plugin. Starting to lean toward keepin with a BB and just upgrade to the Bold. It would be nice to have it on VZW for the better network, but sometimes hardware has to win out over network.

Where BB email doesn't work for me is it simply will not sync deleted messages...known problem for many years.
    08-10-09 10:35 AM
    Mine syncs deleted messages for Gmail, but only one way.
    08-10-09 10:38 AM
    Buy a bold for your telephone and email needs and get urself an Ipod touch to play around all you want. the only issue is that neither of them have FM radio.
    Whatever I get...it has to be just one device...my belt's only so big :-) Actually, I currently use BlackBerry Media Sync to keep about 500 iTunes songs on my BB Curve and it works just fine for my minimal music needs.
    08-10-09 10:38 AM
    Mine syncs deleted messages for Gmail, but only one way.
    Correct...that's the reason I have to use the Gmail app. The new Enhanced Gmail Plugin from RIM (whenever it's released) will fix this, add real push, label support and other things.
    08-10-09 10:41 AM
    First of all, youre doubting staying with the blackberry device...so thats a reason to switch since youre tired of the OS.

I have a Bold.. and i love it...its great.. but the apps arent. which is why I got an ipod Touch. I get the best of both worlds(said in a hannah montana voice) and its great, but the only thing is carrying two devices.

I would say just switch since 3.0 fixed alot of iphone issues.
    08-10-09 10:43 AM
    First of all, youre doubting staying with the blackberry device...so thats a reason to switch since youre tired of the OS.
    I would say just switch since 3.0 fixed alot of iphone issues.
    Actually, I don't really doubt the BB OS...I just want the newsest one instead of what I have on the old VZW Curve. And if I could have Gmail on the iPhone as nice as it is on a BB, then I would definitely switch as you're so correct in that iPhone 3.0 is so much better. Still undecided. If VZW offered the Bold I'd have it in a heartbeat, but since to get either new phone I want I need switch carriers, trying to be really sure before doing so.
    08-10-09 10:49 AM
    Go with the Bold. The iphone is a great toy, but when it comes to functionality and getting things done the Bold blows the iphone out of the water. I personally don't use many apps on my bb. I only use facebook. So when it comes to apps, I don't really care. I only care about email, attachments, and bbm. But good luck in whatever you choose.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 12:52 PM
    I say go with the Bold, I had an Iphone 3G before I got my Bold I'm glad I made the switch don't regret it at all, don't miss anything about the Iphone. People talk about all the Apps on the Iphone but I had 50 Apps on mine n I was lucky if I used 5, most of the apps are pointless and won't use, both great phones but the Bold is the better phone for me and my needs n use.
    08-10-09 01:09 PM
    You primarily want to use email through a 3rd party app, not BIS.

So my question is why are you opting for a BB? You can get an unbranded GSM phone and pay $15 for data or $30 for data + unlimited sms, versus $30 for data + $20 sms for either the iphone or BB.
    08-10-09 01:15 PM
    I previously came from an iphone 3g 4 months ago to a bb bold. I love the bold's keyboard, notification led (esp w/berrybuzz), and the crisp screen. I however miss the iphone's web safari. Im in the healthcare field so email isn't too important to me, but when i have downtime i like to surf the web. I thought about getting an ipod touch, but i dont like having to carry more than i need to. I was thinking about the palm pre or the iphone 3gs because of their mobile web is fantastic. I have opera mini on my bold and it helps, but it still cant compare. just my .02 cents.
    08-10-09 01:24 PM
    You primarily want to use email through a 3rd party app, not BIS.

So my question is why are you opting for a BB? You can get an unbranded GSM phone and pay $15 for data or $30 for data + unlimited sms, versus $30 for data + $20 sms for either the iphone or BB.
    I probably didn't provide enough background here...using a regular phone just won't work for me. I do have to have some apps that are both on BB and the iPhone (weather, Bank of America, Gmail, Facebook) and most of all I have to be able to sync Google Calendar and Google Contacts to my phone. I can do that easily with a BB and Google Sync. Or directly through iTunes and iCal (already synched with Google Calendar) right on my Mac with an iPhone. So the decision is only between the Bold and the iPhone.
    08-10-09 01:44 PM
    I previously came from an iphone 3g 4 months ago to a bb bold. I love the bold's keyboard, notification led (esp w/berrybuzz), and the crisp screen. I however miss the iphone's web safari. Im in the healthcare field so email isn't too important to me, but when i have downtime i like to surf the web. I thought about getting an ipod touch, but i dont like having to carry more than i need to. I was thinking about the palm pre or the iphone 3gs because of their mobile web is fantastic. I have opera mini on my bold and it helps, but it still cant compare. just my .02 cents.
    Thanks for your comments...but I think you can rule out the Palm Pre. I played around with one for a couple of hours...hated it. I suppose if you're under 25 and have perfect vision or are nearsighted, you'll be OK. But the fonts on the Pre are NOT changeable...you are stuck with whatever they are and they were way too small for me, plus the display is way smaller.
    08-10-09 01:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD