08-07-09 04:43 AM
40 12
tools
    I'm not sure if this is gonna work from the wap forum, but here goes.
    I decide that seen as I DIY blacked out my trackball I might as well do my bezel and buttons too. This is the outcome. . Just thought I'd add the materials I used too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by jayred; 07-28-09 at 05:07 PM.
    07-28-09 04:55 PM
    I checked the pics and thought "it looks okay" and then I noticed the last pic with the spraycans on it....great job, looks really cool!!
    07-28-09 05:38 PM
    I will post a link soon for the high quality pics so you can judge the quality. 3mb is a bit much to upload via my phone.

07-28-09 05:38 PM
    Looks great...

But I am never painting my electronics again. I foolishly got silver metallic spraypaint and thought that I would paint my old black tube tv silver to keep up with the newer models (when all the new tv's were silver).

Suffice it to say that not only did spray paint particles penetrate everything in my room and hallway (clothes, carpet, walls, etc...) But because it was a metallic paint, I get a ton of static on it now and cannot use the face buttons on the television without a small shock.
    07-28-09 05:42 PM
    I was thinking of that too. When I worked for Dulux (paint company) we had the same issues with people spraying their shower rails and getting shocked. Put a clear coat on and it, pretty much, eliminates the static charge. And I fortunately have a outside booth I use for fibreglass work, so not particals in the house. LOL to getting shocked by your TV, that must suck.:-)

07-28-09 05:59 PM
    That's nice man well done.

lol @ Madness TV shocker!
    07-28-09 06:28 PM
    I'm not sure if this is gonna work from the wap forum, but here goes.
    I decide that seen as I DIY blacked out my trackball I might as well do my bezel and buttons too. This is the outcome. . Just thought I'd add the materials I used too.

Wooow is beautyful, i want mine likes yours! Hey is difficult to change the trackball?
    07-28-09 07:10 PM
    That is without a doubt the very best painted phone I have
    ever seen. Very nice job!!!
    07-28-09 07:26 PM
    That's so hot. I love it, great job!

07-28-09 08:19 PM
    Duuuude, whyy..? It looks hot, have to hand it to you! But you know it's just gonna scratch off. It'll end up looking dreadful...
    07-28-09 08:41 PM
    seems grainy,,, how does your sharpie trackball hold up in 50 degree celsius weather? would it smudge or wear off??
    07-28-09 09:14 PM
    Damn... I love the look of it.
    07-28-09 09:48 PM
    Nicest bezel i have seen! great work dood!
    07-28-09 09:50 PM
    good job my dude.... i wonder what it would look like on a storm
    07-28-09 09:57 PM
    Dank nugs.
    07-28-09 09:58 PM
    Ok. So to answer a few questions. Industrial grade spraypaint. Dropped twice on the bezel. No scratches at all. I put 3 layers of matt clear coat. It looks grainy because it's a metallic paint and the clear coat takes away the shiny metallic look. My "sharpie" painted trackball has stuck with me through muggy south african heat. For anyone who wants to try this: take 1200 grit sand paper and sand the bezel and buttons lightly till you get to the black plastic. Then spray about 4 thin layers of whatever colour you want and dry. Then 4 thin layers of clear coat. Good luck guys and thanks for all the comments

07-29-09 03:58 PM
    I will agree with ag, that is the nicest paint job i have ever seen on a phone. Great job!
    07-29-09 04:03 PM
    that's an interesting look, definiltey something different!
    07-29-09 06:05 PM
    Can you tell us how you can do it?
    step by step or video (if paint your device again is better)
    hihi
    nice thanks
    07-30-09 02:06 AM
    Great JOB!
    07-30-09 04:29 AM
    Looks pretty slick!
    07-30-09 05:00 AM
    Hey guys. @buichuoi it's a time consuming task, worth it, but time consuming. I did forget to mention that I rocked a matt black plain plastic bezel for about 5 days. So 1200 grit sand paper. The colour spray paint you like and a clear coat spray. I used matt, but if you want satin or glossy it's up to you. Then the thinnest masking tape you can get. I used 18mm. One thing I also forgot to mention was I used a scapel blade, for those tight areas and the buttons. So 1. Take your phone apart. 2. Remove the buttons from your bezel. 3. Remove the branding plate at the bottom of your bezel (most of you should have at&t logos or something there) 4. Lightly sand the bezel till you see black. 5. Use the blade perpendicular to the surface (scratching the surface, not cutting) and take away the remaining paint in the button holes and places like the mini usb area. Do the same to the buttons. 6. The wipe the bezel and buttons with a damp cloth. Dry it off. 7. Get newspaper and lay it out where you gonna spray. Then tape it to the surface (stops it from blowing around with the spray). 8. Then place the buttons facing upwards on the newspaper. Take the masking tape and stick the buttons down exposing the now raw black buttons (covering the rubber backing on the buttons) 9. Take your bezel, use the tape to tape up the center bar of the bezel (the one that fits between the screen and keypad) so you'll have something to secure the bezel with. 10. Do VERY light coats of spray from about 20cm away. Let each coat dry (cheat using a hairdryer, but it works really well) and continue till the surface is properly covered. About 3-4 coats should do it. 11. Once dry take the same action using the clear coat. This coat is the strong coat that prevents the chipping and scratching of the paint. 12. Put the branding plate back on and put the phone back together and it's done. Oh and I almost forgot. Treat the memory card slot the same way you would a seperate bezel. "If" I do it again I'll make a video. Hope this helps?

Last edited by jayred; 08-05-09 at 06:49 AM.
    07-30-09 07:34 AM
    Would be good if there was a video
    New owner of my Bold, would try out your method once i'm tired of my silver bezel.. lol
    07-30-09 11:32 AM
    hey crackheads. lol. these are the High quality pics- BB Bold pictures by jayready - Photobucket
    08-05-09 05:02 AM
    that is AMAZINGLY SICK! are u gonna get a matte battery cover instead of using the stock leather batter cover?
    08-05-09 05:43 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD