Hey guys,
    My trackball will only scroll up or down, it wont even budge left or right! Is there an easy way to clean it out, or do i ahve to take the phone apart.. and if so is there any good instructions out ther eon how to do it without screwing it up? THanks!
    Patrick
    08-09-09 07:01 PM
    You would need to take the phone apart, or you can call your service provider and ask for a replacement (assuming you have insurance and/or a valid warranty).
    08-09-09 07:08 PM
    You would need to take the phone apart, or you can call your service provider and ask for a replacement (assuming you have insurance and/or a valid warranty).
    taking the phone apart and cleaning the trackball should fix my problem?
    08-09-09 07:26 PM
    I don't see how it would worsen it

Be sure to clean the little pocket its in, too.
    08-09-09 07:31 PM
    If its still under warranty send it back for a replacement. Its not worth voiding your warranty for something that can easily be taken care of with just a phone call

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 05:40 AM
    Q-tip and rubbing alcohol every two days. Keeps the oil off it. Even my hair gel and I do not use a lot at all clogs it up when using to talk. You dont need to take it in. Also turn it upside down and push down and move the wheel after applying the acohol. Let try do again with Q tip cleaning entire ball. Let dry. Can put in front of AC. The trackball doesnt like the slightest amount of oil ie even if you touch your face with your finger and then the ball it doesnt like it. Mine was full on lock many times until I started this maintenance. Think of it as a bath every other day.
    08-10-09 09:22 AM

A more simple solution. I had this problem on my year old phone.
    Using a soft cloth I pressed down on the ball and rotated it in all directions for a minute or so. Whatever was sticking to the sensor under the ball got picked up by the ball and was cleaned by the cloth.

Problem was solved without taking anything apart.

I have also heard that cleaning the ball with a very damp cloth with rubbing alcohol is also useful. But be sure that the cloth is not too wet so as to leak intothe phone
    08-10-09 09:55 AM
    No need to take it apart... Just press down on it ( not hard though) and move it in all directions. Eventually the debris preeventing it from scrolling left and right will come lose. I've had my phone since november and it too have stop scrolling in all directions more than a handful of times. No need to take it apart.

08-10-09 04:05 PM
    none of these seems to work right. the ball will move left and right but the cursor never does. it is very sticky but it will move, and ive tried cleaning it twice with alcohol and no results.. any other options? i know with the curve you can jus pop the silver circle around the ball off and take out the trackball. is that doable on a bold as well?

edit: after a thorough cleaning, i can only scroll up now.. ugh
    Last edited by schnarr84; 08-11-09 at 06:29 PM.
    08-11-09 06:26 PM
    Kleenex or toilet paper did the trick for me
    I just rubbed against the surface and the sides for about 5 minutes tops and it loosened whatever dust/dirt, etc. was in there.
    08-11-09 06:38 PM
    i gave up and called rogers technical support to see if i could get a replacement. not only am i getting a replacement, but it will be brand new and not refurbished and i should have it by friday

apparently its a common problem amongst heavy users and is a result of the trackball wearing down and not having anything to grip against the sensor underneath
    08-11-09 07:19 PM
    i gave up and called rogers technical support to see if i could get a replacement. not only am i getting a replacement, but it will be brand new and not refurbished and i should have it by friday

apparently its a common problem amongst heavy users and is a result of the trackball wearing down and not having anything to grip against the sensor underneath
    Haha. Congrats! I want a new bold also but then I wouyld have to get a new bezel and eeverything again to blackout

08-11-09 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD