I was having a lot of stability problems with my Bold. I called AT&T and they suggested that I exchange it for a new one since it was still within the first 30 days.

I went to a local AT&T store to exchange it, but was told by the reps that all of the Bolds have stability issues and they are prone to randomly reboot. They said I should try the a new update that was recently posted, so I updated to 4.6.0.167 (Platform 4.0.0.217). I performed the update, but still had the problem.

I read in a couple threads on here about memory cards causing problems, so I removed my 16GB PNY card. This seemed to help a lot, but yesterday my Bold randomly rebooted after about five days.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really love this phone, but the stability issues are a real problem. I came from a Windows Mobile phone that was very stable, perhaps one reboot every few months. I guess I find it hard to believe this is the best RIM can do.
    07-18-09 01:17 PM
    My bold was randomly rebooting with the base OS that they come with (I thought it was 167...but I could be wrong).

I upgraded to v4.6.0.282 (platform 4.0.0.235) and I haven't seen any random reboots yet.

I'm not sure whether it's an issue with memory - with the original OS I was seeing the available memory drain fairly quickly.

I agree that RIM should be able to do better than that. You shouldn't have to upgrade the OS to not have random reboots.
    07-18-09 01:21 PM
    I'd get another Bold. Mine has never randomly done anything, and I'm sure they are not suppose to do anything we don't tell them to do.
    07-18-09 01:28 PM
    Mine went 11 days without a reboot but I still use Quick Pull v2 to reboot every morning while I'm asleep,so I can have fresh RAM daily.This will solve your problem. Oh,install also Log Maid.Google them both.Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 01:53 PM
    My fiance went through 4 bolds and anyone else I meet with a bold has reboot issues. I think there are a lot of lemons out there.

Her 4th one doesn't reboot but rogers sent her one that's all banged up...can't win lol

07-18-09 01:56 PM
    Exchanging it may help, but I have never had any stability problems with my bold. I have had it to reboot itself after several days of use - but I never thought of that as a stability issue.

Also - I don't have very much faith in anything that a random AT&T rep could possibly say to me about any product in their store. The day I was in there getting my Bold the rep had some personnel issues going on with him. *Thinking* why did I need to know that?

Peace...
    07-18-09 02:13 PM
    That is BS on AT&T's part. Take it back and demand you try a new phone. I brought my 20 day old Bold in and told them it kept randomly rebooting, the lady said okay walked into the back and got me a new one. No questions asked if your within 30 days.
    07-18-09 02:18 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I will try a new one and see if that improves the problem.
    07-18-09 11:05 PM
    Same here, not had any stability issues or the random rebooting. Wait for the new unit, test it, and if it keeps doing this then I would suggest you upgrade your OS to .282

Not everyone has had luck with the performance or installation of this OS, but its worth a shot :3
    07-18-09 11:27 PM
    My Bold freezes and reboots once a week.

I bought my phone from Costco, and have a plan with AT&T. I went to AT&T and was told they could not help me which I thought which was partial BS....so I called and they said they could send me a new one, but there is no AT&T center nearby my location that takes care of temporary phones while I wait for a new one.

Does anyone have suggestions about this, or have been through a similar situation?
    07-19-09 12:03 AM
    im a hard bold users, no issues here, mine is unlocked and running o tmobile, you might want to upgrade the os, but i will suggest that when doing so you remove the media card, usually upgrades with the media card in are what it causes the random reboots....
    07-19-09 12:07 AM
    im a hard bold users, no issues here, mine is unlocked and running o tmobile, you might want to upgrade the os, but i will suggest that when doing so you remove the media card, usually upgrades with the media card in are what it causes the random reboots....
    I removed my memory card and the rebooting improved, but it did not completely solve the problem, so I upgraded to .282 today. So far so good.
    07-26-09 12:36 AM
    I'd get another Bold. Mine has never randomly done anything, and I'm sure they are not suppose to do anything we don't tell them to do.
    I agree. My boyfriend and I both have Bolds and neither of them have ever randomly reset themselves. Keep taking them back until you get a decent one.
    07-26-09 01:26 AM
    Mine started restarting I narrowed it down to 3 apps I installed. Then I deleted them and reinstalled them and now it doesn't randomly restart any more.

07-26-09 03:21 AM
    Random reboot crew signing in.
    07-26-09 08:07 PM
    I upgraded to .282 and it seemed to solve my problem. I even installed a memory card. Not my original 16 GB card, but a Kingston 2 GB version. It has been a week with no reboot. My memory seems to be holding steady at about 37 MB.

I am very happy so far.
    08-01-09 06:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD