08-03-09 06:22 PM
159 1234 ...
tools
    I think people are missing what i was trying to say...

for instance, apple will not allow you to change out your memory device, if it be an SD card or whatever the case may be..

they offer 8GB of memory, or 16GB, or the newer version, 32GB...

for me to have the option of purchasing an 8 dollar 8GB memory card, or a 23 dollar 16GB micro SD card, or a 59 dollar 32GB Micro SD card (not 100 dollars), without upgrading my phone or replacing it, is a HUGE advantage in my eyes. Same deal with battery...

thats apple for you, they do this with most of their products. But this is their downfall i think personally.

I love apple products, **** i own the I-touch, but again, they are suppose to be marketing for a smart phone, not a digital camera, not an I-pod...or a toy

So i can totally agree it being targeted for more of the younger crowd, for people who do not need to communicate on a constant basis, but for people who like the star wars application and would geek out with such apps at work or school and so on.

people say they are too different to compare, but i think otherwise, i think they should be compared for what they are suppose to be, and thats a cell phone/smart phone...

my Curve lasted me almost 2 years and the thing worked flawlessly (still works and is my backup in case my bold fails), and it was sufficient, my Touch hasent seen my hands in well over 3 months. its a toy...not a need.

like i said, i know plenty of people that own I-phones and regret every minute of it, cause its not a great phone or smart phone...its a gadget/toy.

if you were comparing MP3/MP4 players, the I-phone will win! but they are not
    06-09-09 02:32 PM
    On that same note, I have no issues using my Bold as an mp3 player, so no real reason for me to use an ipod touch or an iphone in that regard. I might as well throw away my ipod nano at this point as well.
    06-09-09 02:34 PM
    well i disagree, considering an I-pod is great for working out, i would never bring my Bold out for a 4 mile run, or take my bold on single track trail mountain bike riding...and i would never bring my Touch either (too big and bulky and costs 200 dollars), or the I-phone considering that would be my means of communication.

there is a place for everything, but the I-phone isnt a great means of communication, especially for people (like myself) who get cramped with appointments, work email traffic, home email traffic, incoming calls, outgoing calls, this is all basic for the average user to communicate on a daily basis. But for kids and people who dont need to keep connected, its a great toy to keep you occupied throughout the day.

yes the bold offers media, games, and apps that do work and work well, but they dont work as well as the I-phone. Its still a great feature, and to me personally, icing on the cake considering its a great smart phone as is.
    Last edited by jesse101; 06-09-09 at 02:44 PM.
    06-09-09 02:41 PM
    You can run an ipod near $200 easily, cost is a pretty sketchy argument when it comes to Apple products...
    06-09-09 03:48 PM
    thats true...but i got my I-pod for 69 dollars, the Nano 2 years ago...works great. i dropped it like a million times, got it wet in the rain, still going. if it breaks tomorrow i wont be mad considering it lasted this long and it was only 69 dollars as a refurb off of apples website.
    06-09-09 04:07 PM
    Besides the OS update that will bring many of the previously mentioned missing capabilities, this OS will more than likely amp up their already impressive selection of apps. The SDK that was released to developers gave the developers the same hardware and OS access that Apple's s/w engineers had. I think this upgrade will evolve more on the app side than simple OS functionality.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-09 04:34 PM
    i think Iphone and BBERRY are not comparable. Iphone is a multimedia device with touchscreen. Blackberry is a business device. Both are two different sides of the market. I think both have their own market share and that will remain.

I use two phones and currently i've a BOLD and a NOKIA n82 (for camera) i wouldn't mind replacing my nokia with the iphone. But blackberry is irreplaceable. !!!
    06-09-09 04:46 PM
    i think Iphone and BBERRY are not comparable. Iphone is a multimedia device with touchscreen. Blackberry is a business device. Both are two different sides of the market. I think both have their own market share and that will remain.
    That's kind of the issue though. RIM is trying to breach the consumer market so the old "rules" don't really apply the same anymore.
    06-09-09 04:59 PM
    Iphone and Bold are on two different sides of the consumer market as well...I personally use the Bold and the touch...I don't care to mix the features and want my smartphone to be my communication device with some media capability and I want my touch to be my media device...and it makes me cringe every time I see a heterosexuall male using an iphone...it just isn't right

06-09-09 05:20 PM
    Thanks for the thread. I have a couple of days left on my Bold initial 30 day period, so I could turn it in and get the Iphone 3gs. However, from the comments here, I think I will stick with the Bold.
    06-09-09 05:33 PM
    I switched to the bold from the 3G since I am a power user when It comes to business, but part of my business is media, lol. So long story short, the 3Gs offers nothing good enough for me to leave the bold and I continue to use my iphone 3G as an iTouch 3G, lol.

I switched as well.. was going to sell my 3G on ebay but think I will keep it and use it as an ipod touch too! Great idea! Plus it is a decent backup if I ever lose my bold.
    06-09-09 05:42 PM
    i will have and love them both. i just have to upgrade my current 3g.

best of both worlds baby!
    06-09-09 06:06 PM
    See once again i tend to disagree, to say they are in different categories is totally incorrect! The I-phone is considered a smart phone...
    06-09-09 06:19 PM
    I have the current 3G and the bold. I really dont think there is enough reason to even get the new one unless I find a ridiculous deal on it.

Its merely an update and not an upgrade. They did update the camera, the processor, the battery, and the memory, but thats about it.
    this is funny... Is that all? Just the double the memory to 32GB, the 3.2mp video camera with touch zoom, the processor to double the speed, and the battery to get 30 percent more life, along with copy/paste, a built in compass, voice control and dial, and the same boring glass touch screen and form factor.. at the same $299.00 price as last years version? Is that all?
    yeah.. I'll wait till Apple comes up with something extraordinary..
    06-09-09 06:22 PM
    3.0 comes with MMS enabled, unfortunately AT&T has decided to block it until later this summer. Too bad I've had MMS running on my 3G since last October.
    October?? uhhh ive been using MMS for yrs and yrs on all my phones.

I dont get why they r making a big deal of the new iphone..video recording, voice dial, mms, tethering, 3.2 camera????? all this has already been out for a very very long time..so whats so new about it?
    06-09-09 06:34 PM
    i dont even know why people are talking about the compass like its some big thing...seriously...

"oh my god it comes with a compass?" really...
    06-09-09 06:42 PM
    October?? uhhh ive been using MMS for yrs and yrs on all my phones.

I dont get why they r making a big deal of the new iphone..video recording, voice dial, mms, tethering, 3.2 camera????? all this has already been out for a very very long time..so whats so new about it?
    whats new is that apple is finally trying to target what a smart phone is suppose to be used for.
    06-09-09 06:43 PM
    i dont even know why people are talking about the compass like its some big thing...seriously...

"oh my god it comes with a compass?" really...
    The three dollar compass that I bought at ****'s does wonders... And the best part is, it will never tell me the battery is low...
    06-09-09 06:50 PM
    The three dollar compass that I bought at ****'s does wonders... And the best part is, it will never tell me the battery is low...
    Really I can't say ****'s? As in ****'s Sporting Goods? How about Kum and Go? Eaton Liquor? (yes it does exist)... Any way, my point still stands... A compass is really a redundant and unnecessary item on a smart phone with turn by turn gps capability...
    06-09-09 06:52 PM
    what kills me is that WTF am i suppose to do with a compass in middle of LA? seriously...

google maps does a great job on telling me if i need to go left or right, or straight...

who knows what apple was thinking on that one...probably one of their yuppies got lost in their office building and they tried telling him to go to the north east side of the building and he had no clue. Poor guy ended up at starbucks across the street.
    Last edited by jesse101; 06-09-09 at 06:58 PM.
    06-09-09 06:55 PM
    I have the 3G, completed my pre-order for the 3G (S) a couple of hours ago and I'm not an iPhone-geeker, but I am a tech enthusiast. I give credit when credit is due.

This device was improved upon a lot, just may not seem that way to you.

You said why won't Apple give you the "simple features" of a removable battery and sd card... well the same reason RIM hasn't stopped the memory leak or allow you to install apps to the memory card. The same reason they don't have true HTML or true threaded messaging. I think those features are as easy, but what do I know, I don't build phones.

32GB is a lot. Go get that 32GB card from bestbuy... oh never mind, can't. Want to go online for it? Might as well go by another iPhone @ $99.

Video Editing - I can cut out parts I don't want and then send it up through the following methods: Email, MMS, MobileMe & YouTube. Can your BB send to YouTube out the box? My 2MP camera on the iPhone took better pictures than my 3.2MP Storm and 8900. I can imagine what autofocus and 1MP more is going to do.

Copy & Paste - I can do it better on my iPhone than my Bold. I can also copy from webpages. I'm still trying that with my Bold.

MMS - It's a lot better than normal MMS. I do it on the Bold, it loses quality, I do it on my iPhone, it stays the same.

Voice Command that works. Most people don't even use this on the berry because it sucks. With the iPhone not only will it work, but I will be able to control my iPod. Double Wow.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my Bold and BlackBerry devices, but don't act like the iPhone isn't good enough to upgrade to. To each their own.
    06-09-09 07:13 PM
    I have the Bold even though all my friends have the iPhone. None of them understand the true joy of BBM!
    06-09-09 07:14 PM
    what kills me is that WTF am i suppose to do with a compass in middle of LA? seriously...

google maps does a great job on telling me if i need to go left or right, or straight...

who knows what apple was thinking on that one...probably one of their yuppies got lost in their office building and they tried telling him to go to the north east side of the building and he had no clue. Poor guy ended up at starbucks across the street.
    The compass is to help with street view. Not sure if the BB has that... does it? I haven't d/led Gmaps on a BlackBerry since my 8700c. A lot of people like to know how it looks so they don't pass it by or they know when to slow down. The compass allows them to look around to see everything around the area.
    06-09-09 07:18 PM
    That's about it? Considering the hardware revisions, software update, and lower costs, how much more can you ask for? I think the iPhone hating is getting a little out of hand.
    Amen.
    Amen +2.

OP: Give me a good reason a person would need a removable battery and not have an extra one?
    06-09-09 07:27 PM
    I have the 3G, completed my pre-order for the 3G (S) a couple of hours ago and I'm not an iPhone-geeker, but I am a tech enthusiast. I give credit when credit is due.

This device was improved upon a lot, just may not seem that way to you.

You said why won't Apple give you the "simple features" of a removable battery and sd card... well the same reason RIM hasn't stopped the memory leak or allow you to install apps to the memory card. The same reason they don't have true HTML or true threaded messaging. I think those features are as easy, but what do I know, I don't build phones.

32GB is a lot. Go get that 32GB card from bestbuy... oh never mind, can't. Want to go online for it? Might as well go by another iPhone @ $99.

Video Editing - I can cut out parts I don't want and then send it up through the following methods: Email, MMS, MobileMe & YouTube. Can your BB send to YouTube out the box? My 2MP camera on the iPhone took better pictures than my 3.2MP Storm and 8900. I can imagine what autofocus and 1MP more is going to do.

Copy & Paste - I can do it better on my iPhone than my Bold. I can also copy from webpages. I'm still trying that with my Bold.

MMS - It's a lot better than normal MMS. I do it on the Bold, it loses quality, I do it on my iPhone, it stays the same.

Voice Command that works. Most people don't even use this on the berry because it sucks. With the iPhone not only will it work, but I will be able to control my iPod. Double Wow.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my Bold and BlackBerry devices, but don't act like the iPhone isn't good enough to upgrade to. To each their own.
    I have no idea why you would want to upgrade from 3GS from a 3G. Seems like a waste. I have to disagree with you.I'v had 2g and 3g and I'v been using Macs since 1996. With my bold, I have never lost quality with MMS, voice command works fine with vlingo, I can copy and paste in my browser and it sucks on the iPhone 3g when you copy and paste(I had 3.0 beta), I never took a picture with any of my phones cameras in my life so I can't comment on that. For me, I would never in my life go back to an iPhone 3g. About to sell mine on ebay in fact because I never use it(no slingplayer 3g?, No Mass Storage Support?, no turn by turn GPS on 3g?). Sorry, but I have to disagree. iPhone to me would be a huge downgrade at this point. But you're right, to each their own.
    06-09-09 07:32 PM
159 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD