I am looking for a ultra light and cost efficient external hard drive. Either 500mb or 1tb. Anyone have any suggestions?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-09 11:31 AM
    07-30-09 12:01 PM
    It doesn't at all. Sorry for posting this here. I just know that everyone here is very tech savvy and would probably know.

Do you know of a specific one?

07-30-09 01:03 PM
    I have a WD Passport. It's about a 1/2 inch wider and longer than the Bold and the same height. The biggest they make is 500 GB.

Western Digital My Passport Essential WDMES5000TN Portable Hard Drive - 500GB, USB 2.0, Silver at TigerDirect.com
    07-30-09 08:26 PM
    It doesn't at all. Sorry for posting this here. I just know that everyone here is very tech savvy and would probably know.

Do you know of a specific one?

Don't get me wrong, I don't really care) but I think you should've asked in the off topic forum

http://forums.crackberry.com/f36/

I THINK I remember you being a Mac user!?, If so, why not get an Apple Time Capsule? Thats what I use for back ups/router and I love it. It's Very convenient.
    07-30-09 08:47 PM
    the wd passport is the best.
    07-30-09 09:01 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I don't really care) but I think you should've asked in the off topic forum

http://forums.crackberry.com/f36/

I THINK I remember you being a Mac user!?, If so, why not get an Apple Time Capsule? Thats what I use for back ups/router and I love it. It's Very convenient.
    Thanks for you help and yes, I am. (Very impressive that I rememered that) what is time capsule? What does it do and how does it work?

07-30-09 11:13 PM
    a bit pricey but worth it in my opinion.
    Time Capsule - 1 TB - Apple Store (U.S.)
    07-31-09 12:12 PM
    I have a seagate 500gb I paid $69 for at walmart, and I couldn't be happier with it.
    07-31-09 12:44 PM
    doble u dee passpoooortz, are quite good ;>, been trusting WD hard drives ever since they released their 640gb SE16 and 1tb caviar black, these two are waay too good
    07-31-09 01:09 PM
    I picked up a 1TB WD My Book for $115 a few months ago.
    07-31-09 01:45 PM
    a bit pricey but worth it in my opinion.
    Time Capsule - 1 TB - Apple Store (U.S.)
    So is time capsule basically a wireless external hard drive? I basically want to be able to download heaps of files to the external hard drive and be able to access them if necessary, but not have them using up my computers hd/be in my way because I rarely need them.

07-31-09 10:16 PM
    Yes you are correct. However, the Time capsule, will start to delete the oldest back up once it gets full.
    It also serves as a wireless router.
    the backups are automatic (if you set it up that way, I do it once a week)

If you're using OS x, you can click the time machine app and go back and view any of your backups instantly and restore if you want to.
    07-31-09 10:26 PM
    Oh so its more of a total computer back then just an external hard drive? I just want to be able to drag and drop files onto it

And what do you mean wireless router?

07-31-09 10:36 PM
    Yes it backs up your whole computer or you can have it only backup certain files.
    You wouldn't need the drag and drop method because it does it wirelessly.
    The Wireless router allows you to access the inet wirelessly using your laptop, Bold or any other wifi device..
    07-31-09 10:46 PM
    But would that mean that I would have the files on my computer? Bc I want them to be JUST on the external hd and not on my computer. Maybe a cheaper simpler external hard drive would be the right choice

07-31-09 11:01 PM
    But would that mean that I would have the files on my computer? Bc I want them to be JUST on the external hd and not on my computer. Maybe a cheaper simpler external hard drive would be the right choice

07-31-09 11:03 PM
    Ok gotcha. I agree, a basic hard drive would probably be best for you
    07-31-09 11:59 PM
    Any suggestions? You seem very knowledgeable about these type of things

08-01-09 09:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD