Hey guys, this week im getting a BlackBerry Bold 9000, off contract from a buddy of mine. Since i do not have a Data Plan, Is there a way to Keep 3G off 24/7 and run the Edge network and when i want to use the internet the use it on the Wi-Fi network? I dont want to get charged for Data Use. Because right now i have a BlackBerry Curve 8130 and i dont get charged for 3G
    07-31-09 04:31 PM
    Hi,

In the manage connections menu you have the choice of 2G, 2G & 3G, or 3G.

You need to choose the 2G option and then it won't connect to the 3G network. You can turn wifi on in the same menu.

If you don't see that option you can upgrade to a more recent version of the operating system such as 282 which will give you the choice of switching between 2G & 3G. There are loads of threads on here about how to do that.
    07-31-09 05:26 PM
    I wouldn't spend the extra money on a device that you aren't going to be able to use to its full potential! But that's just my opinion.
    07-31-09 09:07 PM
    If u wanted just 2G connection, you couldve just went to the 8900! More memory and a better came. + it is smaller too but I could never do that. Need my 3G.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 10:21 PM
    If you want to block internet access, go to data services and make sure its checked off. That way, even if you're on 3G you won't be charged for internet. Also to be on the safe side you may consider asking your provider to lock your internet on your phone.

Hope this helps.

07-31-09 10:22 PM
    If i got them to Block internet. Would it still Block Wi-Fi access?
    08-01-09 07:41 AM
    They disabled your browser? You can still use Wi-Fi if you just turned your data connection off like everyone indicated!
    08-01-09 08:43 AM
    You can still use wifi. Blocking internet only blocks the providers data. Not wifi.

08-01-09 08:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD