I have a question for you guys...

On my quickpull app, the default setting for suggesting a reset is if the app memory goes below 20MB

is that too high or too low? what is ideal?

also what are some tips to increase app memory or keep it constant...

Thanks for any feedback.
    07-10-09 12:02 AM
    20 is ok, but if you go below 15, I think you have way too many apps running in the background.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-09 01:01 AM
    Quickpull is a waste of app memory.

Just check your app memory if you feel your phone is running kinda slow.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-09 02:04 AM
    The thing with memory is... the phone has 128mb. If you're going to restart it everytime it gets to 20mb, you might as well only have 108mb.

Memory is there to be used. The BBOS (to the best of my knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong) does not utilize a page file/swap partition. So low memory is not the direct cause of a slow device like on a normal computer.

I find that I never need to restart my device, but then I am picky with what I install... and even when the memory gets below 10mb, there is only a minimal difference in speed... unless something is using that memory to burn through CPU cycles. Kill the offending app and the free space increases.

That said, I agree with forever29, quickpull is a waste of RAM.
    07-10-09 02:36 AM
    The BBOS (to the best of my knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong) does not utilize a page file/swap partition. So low memory is not the direct cause of a slow device like on a normal computer.
    That's not entirely true. I don't think the BB has a swap file, but it still needs room to load various resources as apps need them. Some apps can also have a tendency not to properly release memory when it's no longer in use, the system won't use it to run other apps.

I agree that yanking the battery out (or even simulating yanking the battery out) all the time is completely unnecessary if you properly maintain your device, but as an experiment, open every app you have on the phone at once, set the ones that update with an online source to make stuff available off-line (viigo, I'm looking at you, you resource hog), and disable your memory cleaner. THEN tell me there's no difference in speed.
    07-10-09 06:37 AM
    Some apps can also have a tendency not to properly release memory when it's no longer in use, the system won't use it to run other apps.
    Yep, memory leak.

I agree that yanking the battery out (or even simulating yanking the battery out) all the time is completely unnecessary if you properly maintain your device, but as an experiment, open every app you have on the phone at once, set the ones that update with an online source to make stuff available off-line (viigo, I'm looking at you, you resource hog), and disable your memory cleaner. THEN tell me there's no difference in speed.
    It will slow down, but that's more to do with the stacking up of processes waiting on the CPU long before the memory drain comes into effect. If the CPU could keep up, then yes, eventually the memory would be an issue.

I agree 100% with digitalboy, keep stuff from running in the background and you should not have to do battery pulls, beyond installs and uninstalls that require them.
    07-10-09 08:15 AM
    Where can I find my "memory cleaner"?
    07-11-09 02:45 AM
    Option>security option>memory cleaning
    07-11-09 02:51 AM
    memory cleaner only zeros out the unused memory for security. it doesn't optimize anything.
    07-18-09 09:19 AM
    memory cleaner only zeros out the unused memory for security. it doesn't optimize anything.
    This is 100% correct.
    07-18-09 09:26 AM
    i'm still using the app but i'm not reseting my blackberry as often as i used to, try to let it get below 5 before i do
    07-27-09 06:53 PM
    I just let QuickPull run every night at 4am. Whether it does anything or not, who knows, but it runs itself so I could care less. Don't see much point in paying for the Pro version though.
    07-27-09 07:13 PM
    Hi...

need ur expertise on the application memory qns...

i check my system memory, i had 99.7mb total size and my application memory is around 25mb..

Application memory is not system memory?
    08-10-09 11:52 PM
    hi guys seems like i hit the bridge, i keep my bold in good shape but it seems like memory is running low pretty fast now. i understand all the tips above but do you guys have any idea if the sd card can be used to fit extra space of that 128? with some sort of hack or something. im going to uninstall what i dont use see what happens that vigo i ran today normally i dont run it but its the only good feed reader i know about what do you guys think anything thats avail for use with wifi? thanks again.
    08-11-09 12:26 AM
    The thing with memory is... the phone has 128mb. If you're going to restart it everytime it gets to 20mb, you might as well only have 108mb.

Memory is there to be used. The BBOS (to the best of my knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong) does not utilize a page file/swap partition. So low memory is not the direct cause of a slow device like on a normal computer.

I find that I never need to restart my device, but then I am picky with what I install... and even when the memory gets below 10mb, there is only a minimal difference in speed... unless something is using that memory to burn through CPU cycles. Kill the offending app and the free space increases.

That said, I agree with forever29, quickpull is a waste of RAM.

Guess I'd better "kill" facebook then.

Peace
    08-11-09 12:48 AM
    I just let QuickPull run every night at 4am. Whether it does anything or not, who knows, but it runs itself so I could care less. Don't see much point in paying for the Pro version though.
    +1.

I don't see any point to paying for the Pro version.
    08-11-09 12:57 AM
    20MB? Feck. I have deleted everything except the basics. I have two aftermarket apps, Beamberry and Handbase loaded, and right after a physical battery pull I have between 5.5 and 6.5MB of app memory available. How can I find out where the leak is?
    08-11-09 02:07 AM
    If you have that after a battery pull, you don't have a memory leak. You just have too much stuff on your phone? I would suspect too many emails since you said you only have 2 apps.
    08-11-09 09:27 AM
    with some sort of hack or something. im going to uninstall what i dont use see what happens that vigo i ran today normally i dont run it but its the only good feed reader i know about what do you guys think anything thats avail for use with wifi? thanks again.
    Google Reader (web page not the app) Gives you the ability to have what you see on your desktop (and mark as read) to be the same as your BB.
    08-11-09 09:30 AM
    Google Reader (web page not the app) Gives you the ability to have what you see on your desktop (and mark as read) to be the same as your BB.
    Yep. I have QuickLaunch and when I press the left convenience key it pops up so I can go right to Google Reader (along with google search and google docs, which I use alot).
    08-11-09 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD