I need some things about application (app) memory clarified for me...

What I do understand:
    1. What app mamory is (at least I think I understand this - isn't it like RAM?)
    2. How to check it
    3. The general procedures for freeing up app memory
    4. That there are apps running in the background that use up app memory

What I do not understand:
    1. Why deleting themes and/or other apps is related to freeing up app
    memory on my Bold. Are these apps not stored in my Bold's on board
    memory?
    2. Why or how themes and/or apps that are not in use adversely effect app
    memory

Perhaps I am wrong about this, but I am thinking that the 128 MB of flash memory is there to allow the apps I put on my Bold to function smoothly. I am also thinking that I need to close apps in order to conserve this memory.

I think I'm just not understanding why I would need to delete a game that I'm not playing or a theme that I'm not using at the moment in order to free up app memory. If it's not in use - then how could it be using up app memory?

This may be silly, but I would just really like to know.

Thanks!

Peace...
    08-05-09 10:27 PM
    1. When you install an application it uses your application memory so when you delete that application it frees up the application memory that it had been using.

2. They are still installed. Anything that is installed on your device, in use or not, uses application memory.

Think of the application memory for your device like your device's system drive and the 1Gb storage and/or MicroSD card like an extra storage drive. It is important to always close out applications that you are not using properly so that they use less application memory and don't chew away at your battery life.

Chris
    08-05-09 11:12 PM
    You can also check out the How to Increase File Free thread in my sig, if you havent already to maximize memory for your device. Also some OS builds have better memory management than others. I have memory OCD as do a lot of people here, so the best advice i can give is to not worry about it until your device starts to run poorly. When you get down to 10mb is where it becomes an issue.
    08-05-09 11:35 PM
    You can also check out the How to Increase File Free thread in my sig, if you havent already to maximize memory for your device. Also some OS builds have better memory management than others. I have memory OCD as do a lot of people here, so the best advice i can give is to not worry about it until your device starts to run poorly. When you get down to 10mb is where it becomes an issue.
    1. When you install an application it uses your application memory so when you delete that application it frees up the application memory that it had been using.

2. They are still installed. Anything that is installed on your device, in use or not, uses application memory.

Think of the application memory for your device like your device's system drive and the 1Gb storage and/or MicroSD card like an extra storage drive. It is important to always close out applications that you are not using properly so that they use less application memory and don't chew away at your battery life.

Chris
    Thanks guys! That cleared up my thinking about app memory. I appreciate your taking the time to explain it to me.

Peace...
    08-05-09 11:59 PM
    i think the 128 RAM is not used for installed appliation.
    The 1G storage is devided into two parts. one for system and installed application (128M). one for data storage (round 800M).
    The real RAM for running application is 256M
    08-06-09 12:12 AM
    It's not a clean swap. If you have 40MB free of app memory after a restart, install an app, use it, then delete it, you will not go all the way back to 40MB after a restart for some reason. At least that's been my experience.
    08-06-09 08:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD