For all the people that are curious about Iphone vs BB Bold

here is a spec sheet, the only other thing to add is the odvious
    qwerty key board vs touch screen

Specs gathered from GSMARENA.com

The only thing left to chance is - how do you feel about either phone
    and weather or not you like buttons to click on or a touch screen
    both are leaders in their own right.
    Last edited by vx1; 08-04-09 at 04:53 AM.
    08-04-09 04:40 AM
    Not a fair comparison... Your comparing a phone that was released nearly 1 year ago to one that was released last month...

Wait till the Onyx comes out then it will be a fair comparison.

But for me it boils down to this, if you are going to be a media hog, get the iphone. You cannot beat the browser, apps, games, music etc... It's what apple does best.

If you are a messaging guru, get the Bold/Onyx. Nothing beats RIM's BBM, Push email, texting etc...

A better comparison would be the Bold with the original iphone 3G not the 3GS.

And those specs are wrong... Only 8 gb for MicroSD? I have a 16gb card in my bold right now.
    08-04-09 05:37 AM
    It is not meant as a critism. l know iphone 3gs is a newer phone
    There have been so many people looking for the specs like this

And yes onyx will have all the update specs
    In more cases than not bb bold is still preferred
    Over touch screen, another thing about this is that it goes to
    Show how well bb bold has stood against the competition

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by vx1; 08-04-09 at 07:22 AM.
    08-04-09 06:08 AM
    I LOVE my Bold, but the new 3G S trumps it in almost every way except for typing due to the Qwerty keypad.

The 3G S has the better processor and power. I know its only 600 mhz compred to the Bold's 624 mhz, but it is a newer processor and more efficient, 3.0 mp camera with autofocus, 256 mb system RAM, better video recording 640 x 480 vga on the iphone versus 480 x 320 normal on the bold, 7.2 mbps 3G, newer bluetooth, improved touch screen etc...

It's no question that technology wise the iphone 3G S is now ahead of the Bold in almost every way. But it was also released a year after. Let's see how the iphone 3G S hold's up against the 9700 Merlin (aka Onyx) or the Storm 2 releasing soon.

Don't get me wrong, I had the chance to get a 16 gb iphone 3G S and I chose the Bold because I love it way more.

However, compare the Bold with the original iphone 3G and it's no contest the Bold wins.
    08-04-09 06:28 AM
    I LOVE my Bold, but the new 3G S trumps it in almost every way except for typing due to the Qwerty keypad.

The 3G S has the better processor and power. I know its only 600 mhz compred to the Bold's 624 mhz, but it is a newer processor and more efficient, 3.0 mp camera with autofocus, 256 mb system RAM, better video recording 640 x 480 vga on the iphone versus 480 x 320 normal on the bold, 7.2 mbps 3G, newer bluetooth, improved touch screen etc...

It's no question that technology wise the iphone 3G S is now ahead of the Bold in almost every way. But it was also released a year after. Let's see how the iphone 3G S hold's up against the 9700 Merlin (aka Onyx) or the Storm 2 releasing soon.

Don't get me wrong, I had the chance to get a 16 gb iphone 3G S and I chose the Bold because I love it way more.

However, compare the Bold with the original iphone 3G and it's no contest the Bold wins.
    Even though Blackberry phones are being used more often as personal phones, they were designed for business. One of the key components of a business phone is security, Blackberry phones have it, and the 3GS claims to have it. However... Hacker Says iPhone 3GS Encryption Is ‘Useless’ for Businesses | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    08-04-09 06:44 AM
    Not a fair comparison... Your comparing a phone that was released nearly 1 year ago to one that was released last month...

Wait till the Onyx comes out then it will be a fair comparison.

But for me it boils down to this, if you are going to be a media hog, get the iphone. You cannot beat the browser, apps, games, music etc... It's what apple does best.

If you are a messaging guru, get the Bold/Onyx. Nothing beats RIM's BBM, Push email, texting etc...

A better comparison would be the Bold with the original iphone 3G not the 3GS.

And those specs are wrong... Only 8 gb for MicroSD? I have a 16gb card in my bold right now.

The comparision of for what's out now. Not the future. I think that it is a fair comparision because the majority is compairing these phone. The Bold was also WAY ahead of it's time in May 2008.
    08-04-09 06:50 AM
    The comparision of for what's out now. Not the future. I think that it is a fair comparision because the majority is compairing these phone. The Bold was also WAY ahead of it's time in May 2008.
    Actually its not a fair comparison because like I said, the iphone 3G S is brand new and an upgrade over the previous model The Merlin 9700 is an upgrade over the Bold and that will be fair.

I don't see how anyone is comparing the Bold to the 3G S.
    The Bold wasn't ahead of it's time... The camera and app memory is pitiful and it's processor is long since discontinued. Seeing as how the Storm released just a few months after the Bold and how it had an upgraded camera and how the screens have improved in the Tour and Curve 8900 proves that.

The Bold is only in direct comparison to the iphone 3G and not the 3G S... The Storm 2 and Merlin 9700 will compare with the 3G S.

As for your so-called future statement... I can already buy a merlin 9700 now with the trackpad and most of the final specs. Will that count as a comparison. Just because the official launch is in the coming months doesn't mean its not already out.
    08-04-09 07:15 AM
    Why are people so up in arms about this. The OP just posted the specs for two different phones. Do with the info what you want. It wasn't a critique of the Bold. It wasn't a critique of the iPhone. It was just a datasheet for both. Why does everything have to turn into a p***ing contest?
    08-04-09 10:03 AM

Blackberry.com also lists 8gb as the maximum card size for the Bold.
    08-04-09 12:56 PM
    Blackberry.com also lists 8gb as the maximum card size for the Bold.
    I have a 16gb card in my Bold and it works fine.
    08-04-09 01:10 PM
    8gb was the max when the bold CAME OUT. Not EVERYONE updates their phones. So to leave the specs CORRECT: 8 gb is the max OUT OF THE BOX. Right?
    08-04-09 01:52 PM
    Even if it supported 32gb out of the box but 32gb didn't exist, the spec sheet would probably stay as 8gb. They just don't really update them.

And who cares if the 3gs was released later. The comparison is just a spec comparison, which is almost worthless anyways.
    08-04-09 02:12 PM
    8gb was the max when the bold CAME OUT. Not EVERYONE updates their phones. So to leave the specs CORRECT: 8 gb is the max OUT OF THE BOX. Right?
    I haven't met ONE single person who doesn't upgrade their blackberry phones... And companies now automatically ship their phones with the latest OS release to avoid problems and issues so the customers do not complain.

My phone shipped with .166 and I upgraded to .282

Pretty sure all new Bold's that are sold after Rogers made .282 official will start shipping with that firmware.
    08-04-09 05:24 PM
    I had the Bold then because of dropped call issues in my area switch to the iPhone well that lasted less then a week I took it back and switched back to the bold hands down the Bold is much better for messaging and email sure the iPhone is flashy and has cool apps that real people in but the Blackberry hands down is a better phone.Oh by the way I can live with a few dropped calls the restrictions of the iPhone bugged the heck out of me the not being able to set custom text phones,send picture messages and what a pain to put ringtones on the phone need I go on!
    08-04-09 06:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD