Well here is my sob story - last Thursday I accidentally left my Bold the pocket of some pants that were heading into the washing machine. I realized the mistake that I had made between the first rinse/spin cycles and ran like a man possessed to dig through what seemed like hundreds of pounds of wet clothes to get it out. As soon as I pulled it out I disassembled the phone removing the sim and micro sd cards and I placed the phone and the battery in a container of rice.

I spent the next day looking up bolds to buy offline when I came across a store that offered BB repairs.

After having let the phone sit in rice all weekend, I brought the Bold into this store on Monday. Basically the guy told me there is an $18 charge for an inspection fee and they would contact me with a quote before they went ahead with any work. A few days later I received this response

I got into your Bold and cleaned out the corrosion as best I could. Unfortunately, all that has come of the repair is the phone is stuck in a boot loop to early to retrieve any information from the unit. This leaves you with 2 options; first, you can come pick up the phone and pay the inspection charge, or, you can leave the unit with us for bits and pieces and we waive the inspection fee.

Let me know,
    So Im on the fence - 7 months ago I spent $300 on this phone so it sounds crazy to let it go to save $18 - but on the other hand every dollar counts when it comes to replacing it. Has anyone heard of instances where they can get past the boot loop?

Any input is appreciated
    07-31-09 09:07 AM
    absolutely pay the $18 and get the phone back.

for all you know, the phone might work fine (or be an easy fix) and the guy is trying to score a free phone. not to mention that the "bits and pieces" add up to significantly more than $18 (if anything, open it and sell off the working parts on here!)

get the phone back and take it to another "fixer" - don't tell them about the first guy, just tell them your story about the washing machine and rice - see what they say.
    07-31-09 09:12 AM
    I agree with the previous poster - and I'd add: Do not call they repair shop and tell them your decision - just go, pick up the Bold and pay the $18.00. If you call him and tell him your decision, he's liable to dunk the Bold to hide his (attempted) dis-honesty.

Good luck
    07-31-09 10:40 AM
    I'd pay the $18.00 and get the Bold back. I agree with dsac.
    07-31-09 11:45 AM
    Get it back! mine had liquad damage... i left mine in silica gel for like 10 days and just started working again. give it time. i made the wrong descision and bought a new one too quick. wait it out for as long as you can.
    07-31-09 02:33 PM
    GET THE PHONE BACK!

I revived my phone after sitting in sunscreen at water for over an hour. It was a little project and I had to replace the LCD, but its like new.

Take it apart into its pieces and put them in one at a time into a sonic jewelry cleaner (not the LCD) with 1/2 rubbing alcohol and 1/2 DISTILLED water for about 15 mins each, changing the solution every 6 mins.

You may need a new battery and LCD, but once it dried and I reloaded the OS mine came out working like new.
    Last edited by slite; 08-07-09 at 09:21 AM.
    08-06-09 10:43 PM
    GET THE PHONE BACK!

I revived my phone after sitting in sunscreen at water for over an hour. It was a little project and I had to replace the LCD, but its like new.

Take it apart into its pieces and put them in one at a time into a sonic jewelry cleaner (not the LCD) with 1/2 rubbing alcohol and 1/2 DISTILLED water for about 15 mins each, changing the solution every 6 mins.

You may need a new battery and LCD, but once it dried and I reloaded the OS mine came out working like new.
    I'm glad that worked out for you but to be honest that sounds a little out of my expertise

Do you know if RIM has service locations that would be able to handle this sort of thing?
    08-10-09 11:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD