You misplace your phone. No big deal. You just call it right?
    But what if you have no other phone around, or worse, you left it on silent?

What if you could page your phone using Blend?

I think this could be useful.

What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 11:57 AM
    That would be a great help.
    There have been a few times (too many) where I misplaced my device and have no idea where it is.

Good Idea!!!!
    01-12-15 12:01 PM
    You can ring your phone from your PC using Blackberry Protect and have been able to for years.

Just log in to the site with your Blackberry ID and away you go.
    01-12-15 12:09 PM
    Isn't this what you would use BlackBerry Protect for? Log into protect.blackberry.com with your BlackBerry ID and password, then use the options there.
    01-12-15 12:11 PM
    You can ring your phone from your PC using Blackberry Protect and have been able to for years.

Just log in to the site with your Blackberry ID and away you go.
    I had no idea. I never tried this.

Does it override a silent profile?

I have used gmail to call my phone before.

I gotta try this now.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 12:13 PM
    That's great! Ok, so let me revise this and suggest that BlackBerry protect be integrated into Blend. Other than that, that is great.

Posted via CB10
    Lostboy5151 likes this.
    01-12-15 12:20 PM
    That's great! Ok, so let me revise this and suggest that BlackBerry protect be integrated into Blend. Other than that, that is great.

Posted via CB10
    Why does it need to integrate? What possible advantages would that offer? You only need to use it when you've lost your phone, and you would not likely be using Bend in that circumstance.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    01-12-15 12:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree with your idea completely!

Protect is an amazing function and I've used it to locate my phone numerous times since my original BlackBerryOS device many years ago.

But one thing that I miss from BBOS, was it's native ability to backup stuff!

I don't need it to backup many things, but just my message and contacts would be amazing in case of lost stuff! Everything else is either replaceable, easily backup-able via Link, or can be backed up via other applications.

I just miss having a reliable source to backup my sms+other messages (non-email) for me that I could trust would always restore properly and not have issues depending on device OS versions.

Bottom line:
    Integrating Protect into Blend as well as having the website is a great idea. (sometimes you need to locate your phone on the go and don't have a computer to use!)
    Also, adding the old backup option, or at least enough to backup Messages and contacts.

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    01-12-15 12:30 PM
    Well you can use blend on your pc to see what someone is doing on your phone if it was lost or stolen.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 12:56 PM
    Well you can use blend on your pc to see what someone is doing on your phone if it was lost or stolen.

Posted via CB10
    Why waste time with that? Lock them out with Protect immediately. Then do a gps locate.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-12-15 12:58 PM
    Why waste time with that? Lock them out with Protect immediately. Then do a gps locate.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Honestly I'd locate first, then lock out, that way incase they realize someone's onto them they can't just force it off or pull the battery (depending on the model)! :P

01-12-15 01:02 PM
    I would very much prefer that Protect is not integrated into Blend. They serve two completely different functions. Protect is accessible from any browser; Blend needs to be installed on the computer or tablet first. You have to sign into Protect each time you use it; Blend can be used without signing into it. Protect is left enabled at all times; Blend is often disabled from the quick settings when not in use. I'm sure the list could go on, but essentially I don't want my lost phone protection integrated into my messaging portal. If for no other reasons there are user access and security reasons for separating one from the other.

With all that being said there is really no reason to combine them. As if it was too difficult to open the browser and log into Protect. Seems you only suggested this after being informed there is in fact a BB Protect, though. So you probably didn't really think this through.
    01-12-15 01:30 PM
    I would very much prefer that Protect is not integrated into Blend. They serve two completely different functions. Protect is accessible from any browser; Blend needs to be installed on the computer or tablet first. You have to sign into Protect each time you use it; Blend can be used without signing into it. Protect is left enabled at all times; Blend is often disabled from the quick settings when not in use. I'm sure the list could go on, but essentially I don't want my lost phone protection integrated into my messaging portal. If for no other reasons there are user access and security reasons for separating one from the other.

With all that being said there is really no reason to combine them. As if it was too difficult to open the browser and log into Protect. Seems you only suggested this after being informed there is in fact a BB Protect, though. So you probably didn't really think this through.
    I suppose you've got a good point there, and you've swayed my opinion, I agree.

However, I still believe either way Protect should get some of its long-lost features back! (backup..)

01-12-15 02:20 PM

I am not sure if that makes a difference. By making it part of blend, I only mean to access it from the blend program. You could still use the browser.

You would NOT need to have blend enabled on the handset. It would just be an interface to the existing features.

If you don't want protect to be part of the Blend program, then once again, paging your phone from blend is a good idea.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 02:27 PM
    Of course another option be to just add a link in blend which would take you to the browser and the protect site.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 02:38 PM
    Protect should definitely be incorporated into Blend... it just makes sense. Why login to two different services that can offer similar benefits? It would make for a more efficient and easy-to-use system from the end consumer's point of view.
    01-13-15 02:35 PM
    Protect should definitely be incorporated into Blend... it just makes sense. Why login to two different services that can offer similar benefits? It would make for a more efficient and easy-to-use system from the end consumer's point of view.
    Exactly.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 09:04 AM
    Blend needs to be installed on a computer/tablet for the consumer to use. A consumer just needs access to a web browser to use Protect. That's not to say Blend can't have Protect features too, but the current setup with web browsers is more flexible.
    deremi likes this.
    01-14-15 02:55 PM
    Blend needs to be installed on a computer/tablet for the consumer to use. A consumer just needs access to a web browser to use Protect. That's not to say Blend can't have Protect features too, but the current setup with web browsers is more flexible.
    Agreed, a Blend incorporation of Protect, but Protect still keeping it's web UI option for those on the go or without the ability to install!

01-14-15 04:59 PM
    Ideally Blend should be accessible as a browser-based application as well. It would make it compatible with more devices (PlayBook).

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 06:24 PM