I have a personal blackberry, that I occasionally hook up to my work laptop via USB to make the most of Blend.

Today, without any changes from my side, my phone popped up with a prompt for a Device Password that has to to be used due to IT policy.

I don't understand why this has changed, can my company impose an IT policy on my personal phone when it's not on BES?

It's not a huge problem, but I prefer not to lock my phone, and it's a pain putting the password into Blend each time I hook my phone up, and I don't really like that my company has control over my personal device
    06-04-15 09:31 AM
    Your company is simply enforcing its own security standards for an external device that is attempting to connect to its laptop.
    06-04-15 09:43 AM
    I have a personal blackberry, that I occasionally hook up to my work laptop via USB to make the most of Blend.

Today, without any changes from my side, my phone popped up with a prompt for a Device Password that has to to be used due to IT policy.

I don't understand why this has changed, can my company impose an IT policy on my personal phone when it's not on BES?

It's not a huge problem, but I prefer not to lock my phone, and it's a pain putting the password into Blend each time I hook my phone up, and I don't really like that my company has control over my personal device
    How did you install Blend on your work laptop?

Posted via CB10
    06-04-15 09:53 AM

With so much information on smartphones these days many people would say it's simply good sense to have a password. It's not like the old days of "mobile phones" (remember them?) which just did calls and text. Nowadays our devices could be used maliciously for a whole bundle of bad stuff.
    06-04-15 09:57 AM

You aren't alone... I know a number of people that still carry two phones, because they don't want their boss having ANYTHING to do with their personal device.

When you add a work email account, that includes any Management Features that maybe part of that account... even without BES. Which is why some smaller companies don't feel they need BES. Want to delete all a persons emails on a device that are tied to that account... they can do it. Heck ours (Google Business) can even force my BlackBerry to do a full security wipe without me knowing or stopping it.

Moral of the story, if you add your work email account to your personal device.... be nice to the people in IT.
    06-04-15 10:03 AM
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, but it doesn't really address the problem. I understand why device passwords exist, but on my personal device I choose not to have a password, which I believe should be my choice.

It seems that my company have imposed an IT policy on my phone without my permission, and I wondered how this was possible, as I don't think they don't support Blackberry10.

I'll call my IT team to see if it can be reversed
    06-04-15 10:04 AM
    Sorry, just seem some of the other comments on here, thanks for the replies everyone, seems like they are able to make those changes to a personal device without asking.

I'll see if this can be reversed
    06-04-15 10:05 AM
    Honestly, you shouldn't be connecting your personal phone to your work laptop, unless they have authorized you to do so, that goes for the software you have installed on your laptop as well. Is Blend on your company's approved software list? Overall, if you have your personal device connected to your work BES infrastructure, and they did not put you into a specific group to prevent you from receiving IT policy, then you're subject to whatever changes they make to that policy. If you want your work email on your personal device, forward your work email (Bad idea) or connect via OWA (outlook web access/outlook 365). The only way to get rid of said policy on your personal device is to wipe it.
    06-04-15 10:15 AM
    Sorry, just seem some of the other comments on here, thanks for the replies everyone, seems like they are able to make those changes to a personal device without asking. I'll see if this can be reversed
    They are not making any changes to your personal device. You are simply getting a message on your personal device because you are attempting to connect it to their company laptop.

The only change that may have occurred it that they have detected that an external smart device had been connecting to their hardware and they want to insure that that person (you) is authorized to do that -- which presumably your are if you have been given the password for that purpose.

They are not going to reverse their policy. It's there to secure their information from unauthorized users.
    06-04-15 11:04 AM
    It kind of sounds like your device is trying to join to a BES.

Does your company have a BES? Are you using Link on the company laptop too?
    06-16-15 11:38 AM