06-21-15 05:01 PM
87 1234
tools
    AFAIK blend will replace upgrade Link (noticed it's still advertized as beta for ages ?).
    Link is free. Blend should be.
    09-01-14 02:02 PM
    So it would be more accurate to start calling BBLink a "legacy" way to connect to your BB10 device, with BBBlend being the new flagship/recommended method?

BlackBerry 10 signed @ C0007CC89
    Link will still be needed for Vista or older.
    09-01-14 02:38 PM
    That's what Legacy refers to, right? Older software/hardware versions that are still used but no longer developed?

BlackBerry 10 signed @ C0007CC89
    09-01-14 02:39 PM

P.s. I wouldn't mind paying a little to use it, it looks really good, but only if they support my Android 4.2.2 tablet!

Posted via CB10
    The leak on the CB homepage says 4.4+ for Android. This will influence which tablet I replace my PlayBook with...

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 02:48 PM
    that would be legit, free for people who already purchased a BB. $$$ for the rest
    09-01-14 03:52 PM
    sad to say there isn't much out there, had to tell my Mother recently to just get a Samsung something or another... I'm personally off the tablet bandwagon till something new inspires me...
    09-01-14 03:54 PM
    The leak on the CB homepage says 4.4+ for Android. This will influence which tablet I replace my PlayBook with...

Posted via CB10
    I saw, but when BBM first came out, it only supported the latest Android devices (4.0 and up) or something like that.

So hopefully they do the same with Blend!

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 04:30 PM
    When I last saw Blend in person 5 months ago it required Link to be installed on the computer in order to work, mainly for the drivers for the virtual network adapter that is created when a BB10 phone is connected to the computer.

If Blend is now a client that replaces Link on Windows 7 computers and up then it would explain why it's taken so long for what seemed like a finished product back then to get anywhere near to being released.

However, it is possible that the Backup, Restore and other functions activated from Blend simply fire off the Backup, Restore and other functions in Link if it turns out that Link is still a requirement. I do though hope the rumours are true and that Link is a thing of the past.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.3
    09-01-14 05:02 PM
    Free for desktop,
    4.99 for ios/droid
    Free for desktop
    Free for iOS/Android
    4.99 for BB10

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 05:06 PM
    Blend is another competitive advantage that BB has over Android and iOS mobile devices. Supposedly Chrome is going to have some kind of built-in remote control thing, but for me, the way BB does it with Blend is the ultimate implementation: only encrypted "streamed" data is sent to the client: I wonder if they've even disabled taking screenshots... but when the client (tablet) is disconnected from the server (BB10 handheld) no data stays on the tablet.

Sure, iOS and Android could have a similar feature, and after it catches on with BlackBerry they probably will... but I don't expect there to be any fee for the clients, because in order to use it you'd have to own a BB10 device. So use of the client software is "free" because you own a multi-hundred-dollar BlackBerry 10 device already.
    HotFix likes this.
    09-01-14 05:21 PM
    BlackBerry Blend is as I know unique today (please correct if Im wrong). The latest leaked inromations mentioned a lot of features that no other platform can offer, such as a secure connection to business servers with every connected device.

BlackBerry needs money. maybe they have some cash now, but they need good products that bring money. I dont think that Blend will be a seperate feature that you can buy, I think it is posiotened as a unique selling feature for the phones.
    And 29.99 $ / / whatever per month is way to much for enterprises or private users. The highest price I may could imagine for this feature is 2$/month - 1$ /10 devices - 0.50$/device > 10 devices - 0.10$ > 100; MAYBE!!!
    think about business partners with 1000+ devices. 29,99 per month would be 29.990$ /year!
    09-01-14 07:41 PM
    I like the yearly 29$ plan

Sent from my Black Q10 using Tapatalk
    09-01-14 07:48 PM
    People.

BlackBerry Blend will not cost 29,99$.

That's just silly. And completely incorrectly formatted at that.

It's clear that Blend will actually cost $2999. This way only the ultra-rich can afford it and show off their amazing skillz.

/s
    09-01-14 08:11 PM
    People.

BlackBerry Blend will not cost 29,99$.

That's just silly. And completely incorrectly formatted at that.

It's clear that Blend will actually cost $2999. This way only the ultra-rich can afford it and show off their amazing skillz.

/s
    When I read this thread title I originally thought it said $29,999. At that price call it BlackBerry Porsche Design Blend and Kevin would buy it.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.3
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 09-02-14 at 06:36 AM.
    09-01-14 08:27 PM
    [T]he way BB does it with Blend is the ultimate implementation: only encrypted "streamed" data is sent to the client: I wonder if they've even disabled taking screenshots... but when the client (tablet) is disconnected from the server (BB10 handheld) no data stays on the tablet.
    Do you have a source for that?

Sure, iOS and Android could have a similar feature, and after it catches on with BlackBerry they probably will... but I don't expect there to be any fee for the clients, because in order to use it you'd have to own a BB10 device. So use of the client software is "free" because you own a multi-hundred-dollar BlackBerry 10 device already.
    I know for sure that iOS does nearly all of these things already, and I’m confident that Android will too. The only two novel things for me are external access to the Hub and PIM services and the combination of all into one application. Other than that, BlackBerry Blend isn’t that spectacular. Cloud-based data can already be accessed on multiple devices and the only reason why BBM can’t be accessed anywhere else is because BlackBerry has not released a desktop or web client. Similarly, even if you don’t rely on the cloud, you could easily transfer your contacts, calendars and files with BlackBerry Link already. There isn’t anything new to learn for iOS or Android, integrating their services has been on their agenda for a couple of years now. In fact, both have made a big deal of this at their latest keynotes.
    09-01-14 09:19 PM

I know for sure that iOS does nearly all of these things already
    Except these iOS functions only integrate with OS X - meaning you're locked into a single vendor. You need an iPhone and a Mac to enjoy the capability.

Likewise with the upcoming Android L <> Chrome OS integration - you're locked into Google.

BlackBerry Blend on the other hand, will blend between a BlackBerry and a Windows laptop or a mac laptop or a tablet or even a smart TV. You're not locked down to a specific hardware combination, and you're not held to ransom.
    Superfly_FR, Greened and Smitty13 like this.
    09-01-14 11:42 PM
    Except these iOS functions only integrate with OS X - meaning you're locked into a single vendor. You need an iPhone and a Mac to enjoy the capability.

Likewise with the upcoming Android L <> Chrome OS integration - you're locked into Google.

BlackBerry Blend on the other hand, will blend between a BlackBerry and a Windows laptop or a mac laptop or a tablet or even a smart TV. You're not locked down to a specific hardware combination, and you're not held to ransom.
    That is true, but I merely pointed out that the concept is not really that new or even interesting to the competition. In fact, this is BlackBerry’s belated attempt at bringing their services to other platforms in the absence of their own cloud services which all the others have.

I suppose it just comes down to how well BlackBerry Blend will work as opposed to native solutions, e.g. mail, contacts and calendar applications (or even web apps). At this point I see mostly challenges for BlackBerry. Blend has to bring multiple applications into one single app, and it has to be done well to make it attractive enough for people to use it instead of dedicated applications. My fear is that BlackBerry Blend will be nothing but a remote access to your BlackBerry device, rather than a full desktop-class experience. We’ll see.
    09-02-14 04:22 AM
    That is true, but I merely pointed out that the concept is not really that new or even interesting to the competition
    "Lessons learned" : Package innovative and existing features in a single and easy to use "all in one" solution. Mark it innovative for the whole. Offer convenience with security layer (set it and forget it). "Sell" like hotcakes.
    09-02-14 06:11 AM
    Do you have a source for that?

I know for sure that iOS does nearly all of these things already, and Im confident that Android will too. The only two novel things for me are external access to the Hub and PIM services and the combination of all into one application. Other than that, BlackBerry Blend isnt that spectacular. Cloud-based data can already be accessed on multiple devices and the only reason why BBM cant be accessed anywhere else is because BlackBerry has not released a desktop or web client. Similarly, even if you dont rely on the cloud, you could easily transfer your contacts, calendars and files with BlackBerry Link already. There isnt anything new to learn for iOS or Android, integrating their services has been on their agenda for a couple of years now. In fact, both have made a big deal of this at their latest keynotes.
    I don't think you've understood the point of Blend.

When viewing the Hub and PIM apps in Blend the data stays on the phone. It is not uploaded to a Cloud service and then synchronised to other devices and it's not copied from one device to another like you would with BlackBerry Link.

You are merely viewing the data on the BlackBerry phone from another device. Once the connection between the two devices is gone, be that WiFi, Bluetooth or cable, there is no trace of the data you were viewing on the device that you were running Blend on to do the viewing. If you ever used a PlayBook bridged to a BlackBerry phone it is a similar concept, once Bridge is disconnected the data on the phone is no longer visible on the PlayBook because it was never stored there. (My source: BlackBerry UK in person).

Why is that good? Security. As BlackBerry's focus is now Enterprise their new products will have Enterprise grade security at their core. Yes, consumers may find Blend useful too, but they are not BlackBerry's target audience under John Chen.

Let iOS and Android devices synchronise and leak your personal data all over the Internet of Things as much as you like, but employers will not let you do that with their data and that's where BlackBerry Blend is a good solution.

Last edited by johnnyuk; 09-02-14 at 09:48 PM.
    09-02-14 07:53 AM
    Free, blackberry is in no market position to charge a dime for it.
    09-02-14 09:46 AM
    Given how awful Link is, I think Blackberry would be wise to give Blend as a free upgrade for existing OS10 users
    Smitty13 likes this.
    09-02-14 03:19 PM
    Given how awful Link is, I think Blackberry would be wise to give Blend as a free upgrade for existing OS10 users
    It is free. Anyone saying otherwise just pulled that out of their *sses.
    gfondeur likes this.
    09-02-14 03:44 PM
    I'm sorry, but I love Link. It works very well for me. Except for an occasional nginx crash, which happens after a week without a reboot. Blend should be free though, it would be one thing that could really attract more users.
    09-02-14 05:25 PM
    That is true, but I merely pointed out that the concept is not really that new or even interesting to the competition. In fact, this is BlackBerry’s belated attempt at bringing their services to other platforms in the absence of their own cloud services which all the others have.
    Tell me, with iOS or any solution out there for that matter, can you walk up to a friends iPad and access your corporate email, personal gmail, corporate network files, dropbox files and photos - all in a matter of 30 seconds (the time it takes to download a Blend app)?
    09-02-14 08:36 PM
    Tell me, with iOS or any solution out there for that matter, can you walk up to a friends iPad and access your corporate email, personal gmail, corporate network files, dropbox files and photos - all in a matter of 30 seconds (the time it takes to download a Blend app)?
    @Eitot And more importantly, when you've finished and hand your friend's iPad back do the competitor's solutions leave not a trace of your personal or corporate data on that device for your friend's prying eyes?

09-02-14 09:47 PM
87 1234