03-25-15 06:54 AM
46 12
tools
    While I am excited that the Blend allows for the texts and bbm, I am disappointed that the Blend does not include the phone calls.

Here is an example of where you need a phone call notification on your computer.

Lets say you are working at a library and you have to put your phone on silent mode, without the phone call notification on your computer, you have to keep your phone screen visible so that you either see the notification light or the call notification on the phone screen. And having the phone always visible can become a distraction.

I do not even need to be able to talk on the computer like I used to be able to with the Nokia Communication Center program. A simple call pop up on the computer screen would be sufficient.
    arnavrs, airmo and arvind1983 like this.
    09-24-14 05:09 PM
    Also, from reading the Crackberry article on the Blend.

It seems that the Blend does not allow for sending texts and bbm straight from the computer?

That means even if you get the notification on your Blend, you still have to take out the phone to reply.

This does not seem like a true integration to me.
    09-24-14 05:16 PM

It seems that the Blend does not allow for sending texts and bbm straight from the computer?

That means even if you get the notification on your Blend, you still have to take out the phone to reply.

I believe send and receive is possible with SMS, BBM, and email.
    09-24-14 05:18 PM

I guess you didn't watch the launch when Jeff Gadway demoed blend.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 05:18 PM
    While I am excited that the Blend allows for the texts and bbm, I am disappointed that the Blend does not include the phone calls.

Here is an example of where you need a phone call notification on your computer.

Lets say you are working at a library and you have to put your phone on silent mode, without the phone call notification on your computer, you have to keep your phone screen visible so that you either see the notification light or the call notification on the phone screen. And having the phone always visible can become a distraction.

I do not even need to be able to talk on the computer like I used to be able to with the Nokia Communication Center program. A simple call pop up on the computer screen would be sufficient.
    I agree. Hopefully calls will be integrated in a not too distant update.
    09-24-14 05:19 PM
    Okay, its good to hear that sending is possible from the Blend.

However, my point with the phone call still stands. And I think that the Blend needs to include phone calls in the program.

It has been possible to answer and make calls and texts on the computer from 2008 with Nokia Symbian's Communication Center program paired with Nokia Symbian devices.

I really wish the Blend could at least match all parts of the past Symbian's capability.
    09-24-14 05:23 PM

However, my point with the phone call still stands. And I think that the Blend needs to include phone calls in the program.

It has been possible to answer and make calls and texts on the computer from 2008 with Nokia Symbian's Communication Center program paired with Nokia Symbian devices.

I really wish the Blend could at least match all parts of the past Symbian's capability.
    I'm sure it is a feature that is to come. As to why it's not there now, who knows? Perhaps it's due to something that they had no control over.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by theone06; 09-24-14 at 10:55 PM.
    09-24-14 05:37 PM
    Voice maybe added in later versions. The first have to get the core application sold before adding other features.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 05:42 PM
    You can not make voice calls thru Blend due to technical limitations. No one can do right now. It means voice traffic will have to traverse thru NOC, Wifi, cell and many networks
    09-24-14 05:53 PM
    If we get voice included droid and ios people might commit suicide.....lmao

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 05:54 PM
    You can not make voice calls thru Blend due to technical limitations. No one can do right now. It means voice traffic will have to traverse thru NOC, Wifi, cell and many networks
    Rogers one and Google hangouts does it seamlessly
    Thru your phone number too voip and free texting from apps
    Rogers one takes your phone number and attaches it to the pc for voice and txt etc
    Google hangouts runs on pc too

https://www.google.com/+/learnmore/hangouts/
    I can also access my Google apps from my android or pc
    Posted via CrackBerry App
    09-24-14 06:03 PM
    Like I said before, Nokia Communication Center from 2008 was able to make calls seemlessly from the computer screen.

It used bluetooth connection, basically acting like a ear piece with more functionality.
    09-24-14 06:05 PM
    Rogers one and Google hangouts does it seamlessly

I'm not sure if you know how this works, but ALL you do in Blend goes through your phone. So don't compare hangouts to voice call, because hangouts go directly to the server while if Blend supported voice it would go from lets say PC -> Phone -> Network which would make lag
    09-24-14 06:08 PM
    iOS can do it now with the newest version of OSX.
    09-24-14 06:10 PM

Sorry, but I can't think of anything more useless that answering a call on a computer with your phone 6 inches away. Makes no sense at all.

Posted via CB10
    Playbook007 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    09-24-14 06:20 PM
    Sorry, but I can't think of anything more useless that answering a call on a computer with your phone 6 inches away. Makes no sense at all.

Posted via CB10
    Since you don't seem to have read my first post I will just repost myself:

09-24-14 06:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    Then your thinking ability is very limited. Don't worry, it's a nature selection.

Scenario #1: phone is charging at the bedroom, picking up a call while working on a document at another room.

Scenario #2: phone is plugged in via hdmi for screen viewing, a call comes in while working on a presentation on the laptop.

scenario #3: laptop is hooked up with speakers at a meeting, a call comes in from a colleague who can't physically present at the meeting.

Is it a must-have feature? Nope. But convenience? Absolutely.

Posted via CB10
    arvind1983 likes this.
    09-24-14 06:32 PM
    If we get voice included droid and ios people might commit suicide.....lmao

Posted via CB10
    Why they already have it and they don't need a bbry lol or the device nearby

There is more advance cloud services then bbry. You know that bbry are just catching up 5 years too late not to mention not limited to one platform
    Voip connected to your cell?
    Hangout had it this year
    Rogers one had it for 5.years and you just need to be logined into your computer for free long distance and txt

Google ios and ms all had cloud services where you can share access documents and files oh and vpn is supported natively from any device

09-24-14 06:37 PM
    W
    Google ios and ms all had cloud services where you can share access documents and files oh and vpn is supported natively from any device

so it does by bbry.
    and you can access your phone/pc files (not cloud) via wifi or mobile network.
    with LInk
    09-24-14 06:50 PM
    Using Google Voice/Talk, I've had calling, texting, and messaging from the computer before I even owned a smartphone (5+ years ago). And of course, the day I got my first Android phone, these apps were already integrated.

Blend is new... for BB users, but the features aren't new to folks on other platforms. True, native remote file access is something we don't have, but can easily have with an app, so again, it's not something that most people are going to go crazy for.
    09-24-14 07:33 PM
    Too many trolls around here lately

#BBFactCheck
    MobileMadness002 and BBPandy like this.
    09-24-14 09:34 PM
    iOS can do it now with the newest version of OSX.
    Except the latest OSX version isn't out. They have to wait until january

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 09:37 PM
    Except the latest OSX version isn't out. They have to wait until january

Posted via CB10
    And just to add, notice it works with the latest OSX only while Blend will be cross-platform.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 11:17 PM
    Has no one here ever paired their phone to their computer? I've made voice calls using my laptop while it was connected via Bluetooth to my phone. BBs do this, I have been able to do this since I had my Bold 9700.

The only time this has ever come up is while I've been using my BlackBerry as a modem to work while being a passenger on a long car ride or while taking a train.

I can't stand using a laptop to make voice calls personally, if I have a phone handy I rather use it. This has only happened on occasion that I've taken calls on my laptop. Usually I switch the audio over immediately when calls come in however.

I think Link could definitely use an incoming call notification, but that's about it. Adding the ability to make voice calls through link will be advantageous for some so I say add it down the road, but most people prefer private conversations than being on "speakerphone" through computer speakers.

Let's not act like the Nokia Bluetooth connection is something BlackBerrys can't do, because they definitely can. Adding calling through link across wifi is a slightly different matter. As long as you're near your computer you might as well just pop on Bluetooth in the mean time if this is a necessary feature for you. It's already possible on your BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 12:46 AM
    Has no one here ever paired their phone to their computer? I've made voice calls using my laptop while it was connected via Bluetooth to my phone. BBs do this, I have been able to do this since I had my Bold 9700.

The only time this has ever come up is while I've been using my BlackBerry as a modem to work while being a passenger on a long car ride or while taking a train.

I can't stand using a laptop to make voice calls personally, if I have a phone handy I rather use it. This has only happened on occasion that I've taken calls on my laptop. Usually I switch the audio over immediately when calls come in however.

I think Link could definitely use an incoming call notification, but that's about it. Adding the ability to make voice calls through link will be advantageous for some so I say add it down the road, but most people prefer private conversations than being on "speakerphone" through computer speakers.

Let's not act like the Nokia Bluetooth connection is something BlackBerrys can't do, because they definitely can. Adding calling through link across wifi is a slightly different matter. As long as you're near your computer you might as well just pop on Bluetooth in the mean time if this is a necessary feature for you. It's already possible on your BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Nokia's Communication Center was more than just a Bluetooth connection in that it provided access to full text messages, contacts, and calendar while giving the option of typing the message straight from the computer as well as providing the dialpad for calls. And it could use both physical USB connection as well as Bluetooth.

I have just tried connecting my Z10 to my Windows 8.1 computer and nothing happens, I can only transfer files, and that's it.

So you are going to have to provide more details on how BlackBerries can make calls on the computer screen currently because I have no idea what you are talking about. The software has to support the calls, and a simple Bluetooth connection is not enough.
    09-25-14 01:02 AM
46 12