The services window doesn't auto-refresh. So if it crashes, you won't see it as stopped until you refresh the window (right-click, 'Refresh').

I think I mentioned it in my email, but when services crash, there is usually something that shows up in the Event Log.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-22-15 02:14 PM
    Did anyone uninstall it and all traces and then install by right clicking and as admin?
    01-22-15 06:07 PM
    Did anyone uninstall it and all traces and then install by right clicking and as admin?
    Yup.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-22-15 06:10 PM
    Try it safe mode with networking?
    01-22-15 06:27 PM
    Try it safe mode with networking?
    Yup.

I think it may be a drivers issue but that is just a WAG.
    01-22-15 06:35 PM
    Updated bios? Mfg drivers?
    01-22-15 07:09 PM
    bungaboy, is that Blackberry Link Communication Manager service running for you?

While I'm at it, here are all the Blackberry processes that I see running on my machine. See if you see them all. There are probably only 2-3 of these that are needed for Blend to run, but you never know.

• BbDevMgr.exe
    • tunmgr.exe
    • mDNSResponder.exe
    • PeerManager.exe
    • RIMBBLaunchAgent.exe
    • RIMDeviceManager.exe
    • nginx.exe (two of these running at the same time)
    01-22-15 07:29 PM
    Every system has its own software variables, but for me, using Kaspersky antivirus and Windows firewall, I had to uninstall Kaspersky antivirus before I could get Blend working properly. Then I re-installed Kaspersky and Blend continued to work properly. Just disabling Kaspersky would not work for me even though I tried numerous times in numerous permutations.
    Last edited by SeeBeeEss; 01-23-15 at 04:14 PM.
    01-22-15 07:50 PM
    Optional windows updates?
    01-23-15 06:19 AM
    Optional windows updates?
    Yup.
    01-23-15 10:38 AM
    Updated bios? Mfg drivers?

Yup.
    01-23-15 10:38 AM
    Well I'm no help. Reinstall windows
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-23-15 04:07 PM
    Thanks for the logs lcarus.

From what I can see, it's some kind of encryption error. In the Process Monitor log, I noticed another log being written to ("C:\ProgramData\RESEARCH IN MOTION\BLACKBERRY 10 DESKTOP\LOGS\PEERTOPEER\TunSupport_[datetime].log"). So lcarus sent me that log.

That log was helpful. The key line was this:
    Generating certificate
    Unable encrypt data. error: [CryptProtectData] [0xC000003A] - Unknown Error.

Turns out CryptProtectData is a Microsoft function. Why it's failing, I don't know. The best I could find for the error number (0x3A) is "The specified server cannot perform the requested operation." Not helpful.

But looking at the Process Monitor log, I can see where it's writing each line to the log file, so I narrowed down the Process Explorer log to the part between the two lines from the TunSupport log file. That way I can see what it's doing between when it says "Generating certificate" and when it reports the failure.

There's nothing super-conclusive there. I do see some action from Avast. That might be something, might be nothing. I think you said you tried disabling it already. You can go as far as uninstalling if you feel like it. It may not matter.

The other thing I noticed is that it looks for a registry key that doesn't exist, which does exist on my computer. This is it: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Research In Motion\PeerManager\PeerToPeer\2

You seem to have the value called "0", but not "2". I also have a "1".

No idea if this means much. But it does write the failure to the log file shortly after it fails to find this value. No idea why it would be missing. Looking at the two computers I have Blend installed on, the values there are different too, so it may not be as easy as just adding what I have. I'll email you the registry keys and you can try it if you want.

I might look at it some more later. For now, I have to go pick up dinner.
    Last edited by cybersaga; 01-23-15 at 07:40 PM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-23-15 05:00 PM
    Well I'm no help. Reinstall windows
    Yup and No. LoL
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-23-15 05:49 PM
    bungaboy, is that Blackberry Link Communication Manager service running for you?

While I'm at it, here are all the Blackberry processes that I see running on my machine. See if you see them all. There are probably only 2-3 of these that are needed for Blend to run, but you never know.

• BbDevMgr.exe
    • tunmgr.exe
    • mDNSResponder.exe
    • PeerManager.exe
    • RIMBBLaunchAgent.exe
    • RIMDeviceManager.exe
    • nginx.exe (two of these running at the same time)
    Sorry. Been tied up. Will look on weekend. Thanks for all your help.
    01-23-15 05:51 PM
    I had to reinstall my laptop last night. After installing blend I didn't open it and rebewbed. When the PC loaded up the windows firewall popped up asking to block or allow blend. Of course I allowed.

Maybe the issue? Maybe not?
    01-30-15 10:18 AM
    As an Fyi you can also set services to auto restart. And you should check the application and security logs in windows event viewer for any errors being raised.

Most likely it's getting confused on your network cards - virtual or otherwise and something is crashing.

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    01-30-15 04:29 PM
    Hi,
    I'm interested if there are some news to the problem because i have nearly the same issue.

When blend came available for all Devices in December I couldn't resist and had to update my z10 and give 10.3.1 a try aaand blend. I installed the newest available blackberry software from the BlackBerry homepage. After this blend worked one time and/but link wasn't able to work properly. Blend acts as described in this thread... just short loading animation and then nothing. I removed both and installed link through the single installer downloadable at bb-hp. This works for me but in result no blend I thought BlackBerry would bring a new version of its desktop software with the 10.3.1 update for all devices but as you all know, that still can take its time. In the meantime I bought the wonderful Passport and tried blend again but as expected the problem is still the same.
    My pc is running on the latest windows 8.1, I tried with kaspersky off, on and deinstalled. I wondered if a older version of blend would work but wasn't able to find one.‎ I know that there will be a different between win 8.1 and 7 but I think the last source of the issue can be the same.
    02-11-15 04:37 AM
    Hi,

for a few days everything with Blend worked correctly but I started to experiencing this issue today without any clear reason. I fixed it this way:

1. uninstall bb software from my pc
    2. search the registry for anything blackberry and rim and delete them, reboot, re download and try again (as advised by kbz1960)
    3. Blend finally opened up!

Im running Win 8.1 (one week old), Z10 OS10.3.1.2267
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-19-15 05:48 PM
    Applogies for not reading all the post in case this is already mentioned, but I just wanted to say that Blend would not open for me since it was successfully installed.

I've just tried closing Blackberry Link beforehand, and Blend suddenly opened. So it looks like I can't have both of them open at the same time (maybe Link will fire up if I connect the phone via USB - haven't tried that yet).
    02-24-15 09:49 AM
    Re: Blend won't start
    I have had much the same problem with Blend not launching on WIn7 (64 bit) Home Premium with all current patches. I have been a longtime BlackBerry user having owned a 7250, 8703e, Bold 9700 and now my Z10 with 10.3.1.
    Aside from some minor things such as smaller icons and text entry screens (preferred old ones), all has been good with 10.3.1 on my Z10. That is up until I wanted to use Blend...... Link works fine by the way.
    I have read many postings & docs on how to correct the problem but have so far been unsuccessful.... very frustrating as this is the first time I have not been able to use a BlackBerry feature that I have wanted.
    I downloaded the latest version from BlackBerry site (BlackBerryDesktopSoftware1_1_b29) and first install went without issue. Connected Z10 via USB. Blend wouldn't launch. After doing some research, un-installed, disabled AV & Firewall, enabled TCP/IPv6 and re-installed..... same issue. No error messages, just nothing.
    Next, I uninstalled all BlackBerry software from my PC (Blend, Link, Drivers, BlackBerry Desktop 7 (for my Bold 9700) as well as OS v5.0.0 for my Bold 9700 ( preferred OS by my wife) and re-booted system. Next I manually removed all traces of RIM or BlackBerry from my Windows Registry, re-booted again. Cleared all temp files from appdata and performed a Disk Cleanup. Once again, I disabled AV & Firewall, enabled port 443 for outgoing connection and re-installed...... same problem, no response or error message, just nothing.
    I have definitely tried more things to correct this problem than I have ever had to before for any BlackBerry software problem let alone Windows software problems.
    Hopefully, there is a solution to this problem as Blend is one of the most coveted features for me.
    02-27-15 01:34 PM
    I share your pain. I have also tried many different things, but have pretty much given up on getting Blend to work on this particular computer (although it works fine on my laptop and my work computer!) - unless I re-install Windows from scratch, which I loathe doing, although I seem to do every couple of years.

If you come up with a solution, please post it here!

Re: Blend won't start
    I have had much the same problem with Blend not launching on WIn7 (64 bit) Home Premium with all current patches. I have been a longtime BlackBerry user having owned a 7250, 8703e, Bold 9700 and now my Z10 with 10.3.1.
    Aside from some minor things such as smaller icons and text entry screens (preferred old ones), all has been good with 10.3.1 on my Z10. That is up until I wanted to use Blend...... Link works fine by the way.
    I have read many postings & docs on how to correct the problem but have so far been unsuccessful.... very frustrating as this is the first time I have not been able to use a BlackBerry feature that I have wanted.
    I downloaded the latest version from BlackBerry site (BlackBerryDesktopSoftware1_1_b29) and first install went without issue. Connected Z10 via USB. Blend wouldn't launch. After doing some research, un-installed, disabled AV & Firewall, enabled TCP/IPv6 and re-installed..... same issue. No error messages, just nothing.
    Next, I uninstalled all BlackBerry software from my PC (Blend, Link, Drivers, BlackBerry Desktop 7 (for my Bold 9700) as well as OS v5.0.0 for my Bold 9700 ( preferred OS by my wife) and re-booted system. Next I manually removed all traces of RIM or BlackBerry from my Windows Registry, re-booted again. Cleared all temp files from appdata and performed a Disk Cleanup. Once again, I disabled AV & Firewall, enabled port 443 for outgoing connection and re-installed...... same problem, no response or error message, just nothing.
    I have definitely tried more things to correct this problem than I have ever had to before for any BlackBerry software problem let alone Windows software problems.
    Hopefully, there is a solution to this problem as Blend is one of the most coveted features for me.
    02-27-15 03:07 PM
    For everyone having trouble with Blend not starting: now that 10.3.1 has been officially released, report this on Blackberry's forums. Maybe they'll fix it.
    02-28-15 12:02 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion but I already reported this on the BlackBerry Support forum last Wednesday.
    So far no response. That's why I posted here on CrackBerry.
    02-28-15 12:51 PM
    Are you required to install Link on every computer you want to use Blend on in order for Blend to work?
    03-12-15 06:49 AM
102 12345