I've been a huge Blend advocate since picking up my Passport on day 1. It was, and still is, a game changer. My productivity at work has shot up as a result of this feature... I no longer having to keep switching back and forth between computer and Blackberry. Blend does leave me wishing for a few more features, but I understand the process of developing an application and am happy to exercise a little patience there.

The thing that concerns me is this: Whatsapp Web. For those unfamiliar, Whatsapp now allows a Whatsapp Application user to carry-out their chats through Google Chrome on a PC. Initially I had been hoping that Blackberry would integrate Whatsapp support into Blend, but after using Whatsapp Web for 24 hours now, I'm glad Whatsapp released their own desktop (browser) portal. It's quite simply perfect.

The interface is elegant and attractive. It's fast... Very fast. There's no freezing or delays or waiting. It's quite simply perfect... which brings me back to Blend. As much as I love the Blackberry Blend software, and understand its scope is more than just a messaging portal... I can't help but wonder why it's so painfully slow. On a Windows 7 PC, undoubtedly an extremely widely used platform, Blend operates with a minimum of about a 5 second delay. Often it's much more than that... sometimes 20 seconds between submitting a message in the text-entry box and having that message actually sent to a contact. Sometimes, inline text editing is virtually impossible for me while composing even a brief one-sentence message. Sometimes blend doesn't connect at all whatsoever.

I don't want to be too rough on Blackberry. Blend is a terrific idea, and again, its scope is clearly larger than just a messaging client. It just makes me wonder why it's so rough around the edges, when Whatsapp came ROARING out of the gates with their absolutely fantastic web app. Should Blackberry have opted with a browser-based solution too? Maybe the concern for top-level security is the justification behind the clumsy installed desktop application?

Thoughts?
    02-02-15 11:53 PM
    Agree with Blend being 'lethargic' and unresponsive at times. Haven't used whatsapp.

Off topic:
    Just started using WeChat for about a week after using bbm exclusively for about 2 years.

You don't know what you don't know.

Everyone should know, WeChat is more addictive and entertaining than BBM by Leaps and Bounds! WeChat has animated stickers among other 'fun' features. And seemingly endless free emojis!

BBM needs to step up their game.

Posted via CB10

Attachment 331710
    Last edited by ehroberts; 02-04-15 at 04:18 AM.
    02-04-15 04:05 AM
    What kind of computer are you guys running Blend on? I set it up on an old laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo and 8GB mem, Windows 8.1. Runs great and not experiencing what you describe.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-04-15 05:14 AM
    Message (data) flow comparison:

WhatsApp
    1) BB10 WhatsApp -> Servers -> Pushed to recipient BB10 and WhatsApp Web
    2) WhatsApp Web -> Servers -> Pushed to recipient BB10 and WhatsApp Web

BBM/Blend
    1) BBM -> Servers -> Pushed to recipient BB10 BBM
    2) Blend -> Servers -> Pushed to senders BB10 -> Servers -> Pushed to recipients BB10
    2.1) If recipient is using blend, then again BB10-Servers-Blend

Now, this is how I understand all the Blend thing. I might be mistaken

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 07:54 AM
    Ummmmm

Whatsapp Web = Whatsapp on computer

Blend = hub, Email,BBM,SMS and file management on computer.

Posted via CB10
    terminatorx likes this.
    02-04-15 08:43 AM
    What kind of computer are you guys running Blend on? I set it up on an old laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo and 8GB mem, Windows 8.1. Runs great and not experiencing what you describe.
    AMD PHenom II X4 B50 3.10GHz
    8.00 GB Ram
    Windows 7

Exact same computer setup at work, exact same result.

Ummmmm
    Whatsapp Web = Whatsapp on computer
    Blend = hub, Email,BBM,SMS and file management on computer.
    Just because it CAN do more, doesn't justify the slowness. The file management portion of Blend is completely unusable right now. I will use windows explorer to navigate my phone's file system over the network 10 times out of 10 before ever attempting to use Blend's file manager.

And the fact that it also supports email and sms seems pretty moot to me... it's still just text shooting back and forth. The phone is handling the actual sending - blend is just the middle-man.
    02-04-15 09:32 PM
    Agree with Blend being 'lethargic' and unresponsive at times. Haven't used whatsapp.

Off topic:
    Just started using WeChat for about a week after using bbm exclusively for about 2 years.

You don't know what you don't know.

Everyone should know, WeChat is more addictive and entertaining than BBM by Leaps and Bounds! WeChat has animated stickers among other 'fun' features. And seemingly endless free emojis!

BBM needs to step up their game.

Posted via CB10

Attachment 331710
    Does WeChat have an answer for BBM's Glimpse? That's something I'd never want to do without, now that I have it.
    02-04-15 09:34 PM
    I use Blend at home only and thru a 4 year old Dell Latitude (E6420) i7 2.70ghz and I experience no lag whatsoever. I will admit that my usage is probably miniscule but it works for me when I use it. I have also used it to transfer files (mostly pdf) from my phone (Passport) to the laptop with no problems. The only time I have seen it crawl along was when I transferred a 1g Video file (mp4) from my phone to my laptop. That was comical!
    02-04-15 10:03 PM
    Blend = massive 100+MB download, admin rights required for installation, firewall exception requests, installation of virtual network adapter, sometimes connects, sometimes doesn't, can't resize font for ultra high-definition Windows 8 screens (unusably tiny), often requires you to update it by repeating the entire aforementioned process.

WhatsApp web = open whatsapp web webpage using Chrome, scan QR code with phone.

If all you want Blend for is BBM,.. then this isn't even a contest.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 10:27 PM