Anyway to get Blend on Linux/Ubuntu? I no longer use windows. Anyway to get this working on gnome ubuntu?
    03-05-15 11:37 AM
    According to the other thread on this topic, "No."
    03-05-15 11:42 AM
    It madding to use a great OS that has almost no support from developers.....
    03-05-15 11:51 AM
    Little off topic. But I do love ubuntu and will never go back to windows on my personal laptop.

No bloatware, no constant malware issues, system slowdown etc.

Pretty much everything I need is available now on Ubuntu - standard apps such as audio video players, most of my financial apps so have Linux versions

Blend is the first app I came across that's not available.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 11:59 AM
    Little off topic. But I do love ubuntu and will never go back to windows on my personal laptop.

No bloatware, no constant malware issues, system slowdown etc.

Pretty much everything I need is available now on Ubuntu - standard apps such as audio video players, most of my financial apps so have Linux versions

Blend is the first app I came across that's not available.

Posted via CB10
    The only BlackBerry software out for Linux is Momentics, which is a shame.

If John Chen likes to whinge about other platforms offering their services to BlackBerry users, then there should be a few debs and rpms for Blend and Link...

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 12:03 PM
    The only BlackBerry software out for Linux is Momentics, which is a shame.

If John Chen likes to whinge about other platforms offering their services to BlackBerry users, then there should be a few debs and rpms for Blend and Link...

Posted via CB10
    They probably need to hire more developers experienced with Linux. If they did have the right people, they would have just done it by now.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 03:58 PM
    what about blend for QNX?

Posted via CBX
    03-10-15 12:03 PM
    It's maddening to use a great OS that has almost no support from developers.....
    I see what you did there
    03-10-15 03:43 PM
    I love Linux too, great OS.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    03-10-15 05:01 PM
    There is a way of using android apps in chrome browser. Has anybody tried if Blend for Android Tablets works on Linux?
    03-10-15 07:09 PM
    awww what, i thought blend was a webapp that you could use through the browser Should be a cloud solution IMO, would be awesome if I could use my phone from anywhere and not even have to have my phone next to me... that's probably just dreaming though
    03-10-15 07:13 PM
    Any body here has a way to push this message to BlackBerry developers that we want a Linux version of Blend, Link. I wonder why they have chosen to ignore Linux -a great OS- as though it never exists. And yet, that's there development platform, if I'm not mistaken.
    03-12-15 06:33 AM
    Any body here has a way to push this message to BlackBerry developers that we want a Linux version of Blend, Link. I wonder why they have chosen to ignore Linux -a great OS- as though it never exists.
    Same way developers ignore BlackBerry with its 1% share. Yet John Chen is calling for app neutrality. Pot meets kettle.
    03-13-15 12:12 AM
    I was just thinking the same thing. I use Linux on my desktop, it meets all my needs. Steam now has 1000 titles ported for Linux. Word, video, even Netflix, etc.

What would have made sense to me as far as blend goes would have been to make it accessible via browser. Connect to WiFi, run the blend app on the phone, app displays IP address, point browser of choice at IP, log in, connected (kind of how you connect to your router). Boom! Now everyone can access blend. Would have saved time, money. Instead they developed a version for MS and Apple.

But that makes too much sense.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 09:42 PM
    I was just thinking the same thing. I use Linux on my desktop, it meets all my needs. Steam now has 1000 titles ported for Linux. Word, video, even Netflix, etc.

What would have made sense to me as far as blend goes would have been to make it accessible via browser. Connect to WiFi, run the blend app on the phone, app displays IP address, point browser of choice at IP, log in, connected (kind of how you connect to your router). Boom! Now everyone can access blend. Would have saved time, money. Instead they developed a version for MS and Apple.

But that makes too much sense.

Posted via CB10
    First obvious problem #1: You don't always have a route to the phone from your browser. Your phone gets a private IP, what handles the NAT tunneling so a port forward rule isn't needed in your router? My phone currently has a private IP assigned from my mobile provider, and a private IP from my work router. How the hell do you connect to that from a simple browser if I want to access my phone from home?

To solve that, the phone would need to call home to BB servers and setup some sort of tunneling that gets through NAT. So in your linux webserver implementation, are you talking about straight IP connectivity ONLY (so its basically limited to being used on the same LAN), or including the tunneling that allows it to work through NAT routers and uses BB servers?

And then do you want Blend running as a webserver for ANYONE to brute attack and connect? I don't. I'm assuming some sort of pairing is happening through the applications and my BBID so that only trusted connections login without username/password authentication, but certificate authentication or similar. How would the authentication work in the webserver/browser model? Username and password entered over https?

Here is a tip. If you think something is stupid and you have an easy solution, you probably haven't thought it through. The part that "makes too much sense", is that they developed for the two biggest OS's that their customers use. That's just business sense. The product is not fully mature, so it's possible they are just trying to master "crawling" and "walking" before "running" with a linux implementation.
    03-18-15 10:00 PM
    it's possible they are just trying to master "crawling" and "walking" before "running" with a linux implementation.
    An argument can be made that the ONLY way to "crawl" with OS-neutral apps is to design for OS neutrality from the git-go. Making a windows-only product guarantees complications moving forward in trying to support multiple platforms.

I suspect the real issue is that they have a young development team with MOSTLY windows experience, so we got what they paid for. A more experienced team would crank out something that works everywhere, with a single code-base.
    04-01-15 09:23 PM
    Just to add my voice: yes please to more BSD and Linux support. I must be the only non-geek (ordinary home user) who completely missed the whole Windows and Mac thing. I was given a FreeBSD CD + a crumpled computer some years ago. Wouldn't even know how to install Microsoft or open an application in Windows. My hardware is so old anyway, not sure it would accept it. Can't bring myself to learn that OS stuff all over again.
    06-22-15 06:23 PM
    To be honest you've learnt one of the hardest OS's so the others would be a piece of ****, although mildly irritating that you couldn't do things your way.

On the Linux front I too would love Blend working on my Ubuntu devices. Only get to use Blend when I'm gaming on windows, which isn't often these days

Posted via CB10
    07-24-15 09:57 AM
    Yes Mr. Chen, if you want the government to enforce app neutrality, then I want it to enforce OS neutrality...nah, I wouldn't impose the government on anyone by force.

As a Linux Mint user, the blatant hypocrisy does **** me off.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-15 10:19 AM
    To get this thread a little more weight: I'd too love to see a native Linux version of Blend! It would be so nice to see Blend on my KDE/Plasma desktop. Since both pieces of software are QT-based.
    07-25-15 06:46 AM
    I'm waiting for this, but not luck until now

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 07:31 AM