Just wanted to share that after a lot of time wasted on trying to get BlackBerry Blend to connect to my Z10, "can't connect" or "unable to connect", both on WIFI and on USB, this worked for me. I am using Windows 7 64bit.

The issue is that Symantec Endpoint Protection (notably the firewall component "Network Threat Protection"), does not support IPv6, SO IT JUST BLOCKS IT.

-Enabled IPv6 for windows (as specified by BlackBerry as well as on the forums)
    -Disabled SEP "Network Threat Protection" (and enable windows firewall, which supports IPv6)
    ==> Problem Solved.

Of course, that means that SEP is not my default firewall, but that is not an issue for me.

Good luck to all!
    peregrineay likes this.
    03-15-15 06:42 AM
    Wow... I JUST figured out (after months) what the problem is, only to stumble upon this thread!!!

I cannot disable Symantec Endpoint Protection(SEP) by corp policy, so I'm stuck trying to disable it temporarily until it gets re-enabled by policy.

If I disable it, Blend works.

That sucks. SEP blocks IP6 traffic... plain and simple.
    peregrineay likes this.
    03-20-15 03:22 PM
    Hi,
    I am Chetan Savade from Symantec Technical Support Team.
    In Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) 11.x, IPv6 could only be used as a general ethernet protocol type in firewall rules. So IPv6 network traffic could be blocked or allowed completely in a rule.

SEP 12.1 has added support for IPV6 in the traffic. In SEP 12.1 the firewall and SEP engine have the ability to decode and block the traffic based on the firewall policy or based on detected attacks within the IPv6 traffic. The protection offered on IPv6 traffic in SEP 12.1 is as good as the protection offered on IPv4 traffic. Logs will show IPv6 addresses as well.

Go through this article: IPv6 support in Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1
    TECH174897

Best Regards,
    Chetan
    03-23-15 11:03 AM
    Chetan, the problem is that ipv6 traffic is being blocked by default, and will most likely be chosen as the default setting by policy by most corporations.

So - I think the problem is less with SEP 12 and more with blackberry's choice of connection. Blackberry offers no alternatives, which doesn't make sense to me. I know why IPV6 is used, but what I can't understand is why they don't offer alternatives that will be more compliant with most, if not all corporate IT policies. It's a simple matter of setting up some internal software rules to clean up the UI. (example: if you chose a straight USB connection, obviously wifi will not work so it is not available and don't try it!).

Note that blackberry device manager assigns a private IPv4 address (169.254/16) to a blackberry device, which is VERY functional, and it is non-routable (link-local). Why not make use of this? I don't know the internals. (boggle)
    03-24-15 11:34 AM
    I am having this issue at my workplace and so far they have not been able to resolve. Is there a Symantec document that shows how to create an exception for Blend communication so it is not blocked as a "network threat"?
    07-14-15 12:49 PM
    I am having this issue at my workplace and so far they have not been able to resolve. Is there a Symantec document that shows how to create an exception for Blend communication so it is not blocked as a "network threat"?
    We don't have specific to Blend communication but generic article is there to create centralized exceptions.
    Check this article: Create Centralized Exceptions Policies in Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1
    Check TECH183201 for more details.
    Regards,
    Chetan
    07-17-15 11:07 AM