Dear BB Blend users,

Several times a year, Blend on my Mac does not allow me to connect and force me to go to the website and download a new version. This is utterly frustrating when you want to just get work done and don't care about the latest version.

Anyway, one is forced to dutifully go to the website and download the image file (DMG). Blackberry servers are frustratingly slow, requiring 20-30 minutes to download. Ironically for a device that espouses productivity, one is forced to wait 20-30 minutes for a file to download. So I am using that time to rant about it here.

The worst thing is that after the 30 minutes is up, and the DMG file is on the desktop, double clicking on it results in an error message that the image file could not be recognised. So now, I no longer have Blend. The old one doesn't allow me to connect, and the new one is corrupted or something.

Whose idea is it to force people to upgrade, and to make the upgrade experience so 5h1t.

Other details: Downloading BlackBerry 10 Desktop Software Installer v1.2.0.58 (Mac OS) to install on a Mac OS 10.7.5.

JC

Edit: After downloading it a second time, the image file worked. Just wish the server wasn't so slow and BB wouldn't force people to update the software. What a waste of time.
    Last edited by BloombergPhone; 08-28-15 at 01:03 PM.
    rumagin likes this.
    08-28-15 09:39 AM
    Never had this problem on my computer. (not a MAC though). I have however had problems with my firewall blocking blackberry software as it maintains contact with their servers. Maybe your problem has to do with firewall settings? Once I tweek them all is good until I update the software and then I have to go back in and set it again.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    08-31-15 09:18 PM
    You updated Blend on your device to a newer version than what you have on your computer.

I'm confused as to how you think a desktop client can be forward compatible to all new potential features and updates.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    08-31-15 10:20 PM
    Maybe your problem has to do with firewall settings? Once I tweek them all is good until I update the software and then I have to go back in and set it again.
    Thanks for you reply. Well, the problem isn't that I have to upgrade, but rather the lack of any option to not upgrade. Conite explained below your message that it was because the Blend application on the BB was updated which forced the desktop client to be out of sync. Again, this wouldn't be such an issue if it didn't take 30 minutes to download the image. Is it asking too much if Blackberry were to pay for Akamai or Amazon services etc instead of their own inadequate file servers?

I'm confused as to how you think a desktop client can be forward compatible to all new potential features and updates.
    Thanks for your reply. I guess that makes two of us. I'm confused as to how you think the Blend functionalities on the Blackberry cannot be made backwards compatible with the old desktop client, given the lack of obvious new features and updates.
    09-01-15 09:50 AM
    Thanks for your reply. I guess that makes two of us. I'm confused as to how you think the Blend functionalities on the Blackberry cannot be made backwards compatible with the old desktop client, given the lack of obvious new features and updates.
    I think one would want the device-side software to be as lean and resource-friendly as possible for maximum performance. Building in backward compatibility would work against that.

I find the BlackBerry servers to always be exceptionally responsive. Perhaps you have some issue at your corporate end.

09-01-15 10:12 AM
    I think one would want the device-side software to be as lean and resource-friendly as possible for maximum performance. Building in backward compatibility would work against that.
    We aren't talking about Playstation 4 being able to play Playstation 3 games, nor are we talking about 10.3 working with 10.2 stuff. In our case, I doubt working backwards compatibility into the app is as big an issue as you make it out to be. But I am not here to argue whether they should or should not ensure backwards compatibility. The point is that expectation of backwards compatibility is not unwarranted. (So you really shouldn't be confused.) Whether those expectations need to be met is another issue.

I find the BlackBerry servers to always be exceptionally responsive. Perhaps you have some issue at your corporate end.
    "Exceptionally responsive"? Compared to which other site? Apple's? Microsoft's? We aren't talking about responsiveness but throughput. If you can download Blend in less than 30 seconds, I'll grant you your "exceptionally fast" comment.

BlackBerry Blend ? Desktop Software for BlackBerry - US

Yes, it's probably something wrong with my servers. That's why I can down 100MB files from IBM at 20Mbps. No, that's not exceptionally fast, just OK speed. But then, I am not an exceptional fanboy of IBM.
    09-01-15 10:32 AM
    Just downloaded the Blend package in 57 seconds. 187MB. Capped at MY DSL speed (bottleneck was at my end).

09-01-15 12:26 PM
    That's good. Same speed I get with other servers. Seems that Blackberry prioritises its bandwidth then. Because Blackberry is the only server I have a slow connection to. And each time I try to download that Blend update it's always 20+ minutes.
    09-05-15 02:20 AM
    I'm also having trouble, it's asking me update bldnd in my laptop. There be a way to do this apart from downloading the new version. This just crashes each time I try. So I completely deleted the old blend. That still doesn't help. I guess it's useless. Lol

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 01:15 PM
    Oh no! Perhaps you need to post your problem in a new thread and hope others can give you some advice?
    09-10-15 11:37 AM