I liked the video. Loved it. But if anyone from BlackBerry is reading this comment, here is my (early) feedback. Hopefully BlackBerry is ALREADY far ahead of me. But if not, I'd love for BlackBerry to consider the following:

**1 . Do not make it dependent on connecting your phone. Make it available on cloud.
    If that's too much work, maybe you could make subset of this available on cloud? For example, for certain features (like file manager, text messages, hub) you must connect your phone. But for others like BBM - user just needs to login with BBM ID. No need to connect your phone for that. All you need to do is allow multiple/simultaneous logins and sessions of BBM.

**2. Release this (even with limited features) FAST!
    Then keep adding more features every 6-8 weeks. But release this fast. iPhone users have iCloud so releasing this quickly would give BlackBerry user Blend to talk about! Release this next month or the month after. But definitely BEFORE the end of summer! Before BACK-TO-SCHOOL starts!

Source: http://crackberry.com/quick-video-lo...beta-dashboard

Thanks!
    05-12-14 11:22 PM
    good suggestions indeed! i cant wait to try it
    05-13-14 12:16 PM
    I think the cross platform version of BBM will take care of your BBM concerns... once we get a Windows Version.

If Blend is usable and functioning, then yes release it - it sure looked close to being ready in the short video. But if it is a "hot mess" like BBM was back in Sept & Nov.... no it needs to stay in the oven till it is usable.

BlackBerry has so much going on and so much potential.... just wish they could get the basics right and then add these features to blow people away!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-13-14 12:41 PM
    For me no cloud please, I prefer my stuff bound and sitting on my device. So I can can crash it once NSA comes to close :P

Second point - as fast as possible. Yeah I've been waiting for something like this for ages. I remember the times when I used some crappy Bluetooth connection to write txts from my PC to my connected Nokia/symbian

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 12:51 PM
    For me no cloud please, I prefer my stuff bound and sitting on my device. So I can can crash it once NSA comes to close :P

Second point - as fast as possible. Yeah I've been waiting for something like this for ages. I remember the times when I used some crappy Bluetooth connection to write txts from my PC to my connected Nokia/symbian

Posted via CB10
    I agree no cloud. I keep my data local.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! OS: 10.2.1.3175
    05-13-14 12:53 PM
    For BLEND to work, your data is going to have to be accessed and pushed all around the "internets" anyway....

I have to say that the integration of OneDrive on my Windows 8 machines has made the whole switching from on machine to another much easier. One program I use for work, actually stores a backup on OneDrive every time it closes, and when it opens it looks for a newer backup than the last one it made... in case I used the program on a different machine. So my data is always up to date no matter what device I use. The CLOUD is a wonderful thing!
    05-13-14 02:24 PM
    Why Blend is browser based? I hope I don't have to open a browser to use it. I wish it was an app well integrated with the desktop OS (WIN, Linux and OSX).
    05-13-14 09:30 PM
    Why Blend is browser based? I hope I don't have to open a browser to use it. I wish it was an app well integrated with the desktop OS (WIN, Linux and OSX).
    I thought the same way, then I realized that making it browser based means you can use it on any PC, or MAC, or android tablet or etc.

Then I can see the advantage.

Posted via Z69
    05-13-14 09:57 PM
    It's so it can be completely device-independent. If you have a device with a browser - any device, be it laptop, desktop, tablet, or even maybe another phone - it will 'blend'. You don't have to worry about developing apps for every possible platform. I think it's a fairly brilliant approach.
    05-13-14 10:20 PM
    iCloud is browser based too.
    1. This way, they can keep adding features and they'd become available instantly to everyone. No waiting to download the latest version of blend and dealing with whether or not it works on your particular computer. Takes away a lot of complexity.

2. Any browser can access it. So, you can use blend from tablet, another mobile device browser, PC, MAC, Chromebook, Linux, Web OS, you name it. Anything that runs a full fledged browser.
    05-13-14 11:09 PM
    Well, there are advantages of having a HTML5 browser based small applications. It saves time from creating robust (lazy approach) native applications. But most of the HTML5 based applications are converted into native applications due to poor performance and lack of deep integration with the SDKs. Example, DropBox and FaceBook.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/11/fa...5-over-native/

iCloud is browser based too.
    1. This way, they can keep adding features and they'd become available instantly to everyone. No waiting to download the latest version of blend and dealing with whether or not it works on your particular computer. Takes away a lot of complexity.

2. Any browser can access it. So, you can use blend from tablet, another mobile device browser, PC, MAC, Chromebook, Linux, Web OS, you name it. Anything that runs a full fledged browser.
    Last edited by arvind1983; 05-14-14 at 02:09 AM. Reason: include links
    05-14-14 02:06 AM
    Channels needs a Web front. Like if you post your channel link to twitter anyone can click it and it takes you to the channel preview page on the desktop, with option to register for BBM and a download link directly Sent to their phones. How many more people will join BBM

Visit The CFC Cartel
    05-14-14 02:24 AM
    Performance wise I think the browser/html5 approach is fine cause you gonna use it on your PC/Mac/SmartTV and usually you have plenty of power there.

On the other hand that 'device hosted service' is not restricted to location anyway.. you could always tunnel (like BB Link does anyway for e.g. remote file access) from anywhere.
    05-14-14 03:15 AM
    Did anyone even look at the developer docs for Blend? lol.
    05-14-14 03:27 AM
    My opinion, dont make it cloud based. Many users dont have that data pack to acess cloud everytime.

Make the device as the server and just mirror whatever it has and all should be snappy and quick, no lags.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 03:47 AM
    My opinion, dont make it cloud based. Many users dont have that data pack to acess cloud everytime.

Make the device as the server and just mirror whatever it has and all should be snappy and quick, no lags.

Posted via CB10
    I'd like a limited feature set to be available on cloud as well. For example BBM can be made available on cloud. While Text Messages must require connection to your BlackBerry.

Not sure what data-pack you are talking about - I mean, people are going to access cloud from their home internet/wifi connected computer/tablet/netbook/laptop etc. If they are not at home, they'll be using their mobile device anyway.
    05-14-14 10:25 AM