hello there,

been on here a few times giving away a couple of copies of the app GPSpeedOMeter (previously BBSpeedOMeter). Anyway I'm building a web portal to the app at the moment so I'm adding a free beta version of the app to the site to get some people to download and start logging trips.

To download a free copy goto

GPSpeedOMeter - The Ultimate Blackberry Fitness Application

Enter your email on the home screen and a couple of minutes later the site should send you a link to a download of the app.

Once downloaded you can use the app to record your sporting activities, and upload them to the site to look at on bigger maps,graphs etc.

sites fairly basic at the moment but i'll be adding on new features every couple of days over the next month or so.

Theres no feedback section on the site yet but you can just email me (theres a contact support feature built into the app).
    03-27-11 02:30 PM
    Cool! I just signed up!
    03-27-11 02:36 PM
    Cool! I just signed up!
    Your quick off the mark! Thanks for that,

I should say, loggin into the site, its not really clear what its all about untill after you upload a trip or two.

It all works a lot better on any browser that isn't internet explorer.

aNybody that wants a quick look at some uploaded trips you can log into my test account email is [email protected] password is test25

All the right side of the screen, social integration should be live in a day or 3

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-11 02:55 PM
    Just down loaded this app on my torch! Will try it out next time out walking. Thanks .
    03-27-11 07:04 PM
    sent my email out, waiting for a reply.
    03-27-11 09:59 PM
    Lol, very cool. Saw your tweet about making a web portal. If school wasn't beyond ridiculous for me right now I'd help out
    03-27-11 11:51 PM
    Da*n cool program .. thanks for the free copy!
    03-29-11 09:35 PM
    i love this app! thanks so much!
    07-26-11 05:07 PM
    Thank you.
    I think this is just the app I was looking for.
    07-26-11 10:09 PM
    I have been using this app since Mark developed it. Great app to mark running, biking, skiing, etc.

One question for Mark - How do I upload to your site, instead of RidewithGPS?
    07-26-11 10:27 PM
    Hi, If you've got the most upto date version of the app, gpspeedometer.com is the default upload site. so you just need to register thru the app or put your login details in the settings screen. For those that prefere ridewithgps just fill in your ridewithgps details which ever one you've filled in it'll use, if you've both set gpspeedometer.com trumps ridewithgps i think.

I have been using this app since Mark developed it. Great app to mark running, biking, skiing, etc.

One question for Mark - How do I upload to your site, instead of RidewithGPS?
    07-27-11 02:16 AM
    Entered my email, and downloading the app.
    Will try it out this weekend. Thanks Mark!
    07-27-11 03:11 AM
    Entered my email, and downloading the app.
    Will try it out this weekend. Thanks Mark!
    More than welcome.

just realised that the email it sends out has 2 download links one for o/s 4.6 and the other for o/s 4.7+ 4.7+ one is second in the list and probably less likely to be clicked unless people actually read the email and know what an o/s is.

the main differences between the versions is 4.7+ has a slightly nicer background image and also has support for touch screen devices.
    07-27-11 03:14 AM
    This is a great GPS program, and the first one I ever loaded to a Blackberry. I've tried out probably every GPS type program there is and this one still wins in simplicity, functionality and just working properly without mucking up anything else.
    07-27-11 09:48 AM
    Very impressive app, especially after you upload history to the portal.

After I log in to the portal and try to go to Profiles I get an error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: The ID 'Panel1' is already used by another control.

Source Error:

Line 159: Change Password</div> Line 160: Line 161:<asp:Panel ID="Panel1" DefaultButton="ButtonChangePassword" runat="server"> Line 162: Line 163:<table style="text-align:justify; width:100%">
    Source File: /Profile.aspx Line: 161

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1
    07-27-11 01:18 PM
    Also, in History, is there a way to change units of measure from metric to imperial, ie: kph to mph?

They tried to convert me to metric a long time ago but I guess it never took.
    07-27-11 01:20 PM
    what are the differences between this and the paid version?
    07-27-11 01:59 PM
    I'm wondering if there's anyway to not show the maps when you post to twitter. I like viewing the maps myself but, I'm not sure I like everyone else knowing where I am and have been.

Also, using this ate my battery up big time. About 50% of my battery in a half hour. I tried a battery pull after I returned so, I'll see if that helps tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

07-27-11 08:51 PM
    sorry about the late reply here people. theres about 4 unanswered questions here so i'll go thru them all and reply to them individually.... if crackberry works for me, been runnin shockin slow here today
    07-28-11 03:15 AM

After I log in to the portal and try to go to Profiles I get an error:

Server Error in '/' Application.
    sorry about cutting the quote down here. Somebody (not sure if it was yourself) reported that to me yesterday evening. I had been messing around with the site over the last day or two just changing around fonts and stuff and this bug slipped in there. Its fixed now so it should work ok.
    07-28-11 03:18 AM
    Also, in History, is there a way to change units of measure from metric to imperial, ie: kph to mph?

They tried to convert me to metric a long time ago but I guess it never took.
    You can change it in the app and on the website but both are seperate.

In the app while on the main screen menuclick and hit settings. the first two settings on the settings screen lets you set distance (kilmoeters, miles) and altitude (meters, feet) so if your like me and like a little bit of imperial and a little metric you can go miles and meters.

and on the website theres a similar setting in the profile section
    07-28-11 03:20 AM
    what are the differences between this and the paid version?
    To be honest i think i got the model for this a little wrong. The app started out as a paid only version. I've only recently introduced the free version. I think i may have left a little too much in the free version.

Basically everything is the same appart from the history list screen and theres a couple of extra settings in the settings screen (i think i sent you a link to the full version so you should be able test this out).

While in the history list screen if you hightlight a trip and menu click there are extra options in the full version. in the full version you get options

"view overall stats" - just pops up a screen with your overall distance,time,average speed for all your trips combined.

"race against trip" - lets you race against a previous trip over the same course. puts two extra values on the main screen, distance/time behind/ahead. and also draws the route over the map (volume keys toggle map and main screen)

"view similar trips" - changes the list of trips to be a list of trips over the same course as the selected trip. puts a green tick beside the fasted trip.

"Rename trip" - (this might be in the free version, not sure) just lets you rename a trip so its easier to find on the list

"Restart trip" - lets you save a trip, exit the app, then restart the app and restart the trip (you need to do this from more or less the same location as you stopped.)

"Navigation Aid" - Just puts you back to the main screen, but draws the route over the map and you can use that to navigate (doesnt give directions or anything you just follow the line on the map, basic stuff).

Also in the full version as well as a history list theres an imported routes list, basically you can draw a route on ridewithgps.com save the track gpx (not the route one). put it on your sdcard in the imports folder under the gpspeedometer folder and it'll let you do more or less the same thing as the navigation aid thing above. I'm working on a new addition to gpspeedometer.com where you'll be able to draw a route and instead of having to download a gpx file and put it on the sdcard it'll just download it next time you start the app.

In the settings screen you get extra options too. you can set the gps sampling rate and the save interval (not really that usefull to be honest). But you can also set the main screen up in here. you can set what order you want things to apear so on the free version distance/time is always on top. you can move that down and put average speed/max speed on top, etc, you can set how many rows are visible (theres 6 rows by default there 4 visible and you scroll for the other 2 but if the fonts too small you could set it to 2 visible or 6 if you want to see everything) and you can set it to have 1 or 2 colums (2 is the default).

Thats about it i think. i might have missed something and maybe one or two of the things ive mentioned are in the free version
    07-28-11 03:41 AM
    I'm wondering if there's anyway to not show the maps when you post to twitter. I like viewing the maps myself but, I'm not sure I like everyone else knowing where I am and have been.

Also, using this ate my battery up big time. About 50% of my battery in a half hour. I tried a battery pull after I returned so, I'll see if that helps tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

2 questions there.

1) not posting maps to twitter. I'm just wondering now is this in the free version or just the full version. i'll have to check. but short answer for the moment is yes you can do that. while on the main screen menu click and choose settings. down under where you set your loginfo for the various websites/twitter there is a section called sync options. theres a check box labeled "add uploaded to tweet" if you untick this next time you upload save and sync instead of (i for get what it actually says) syaing "i just completed a trip with gpspeedometer check it out at trips.gpspeedometer...." it'll say something like "i just completed 44 miles in 2:20:34 averaged 17.7 climbed 250 meters #gpspeedometer"

2) battery life. This app and any other app that you leave running for any length of time can drain your battery. Theres a couple of things you can do tho. Firstly in the settings theres an option backlight always on (I first made this app just for myself to use and i mount mine on the handlebars of the bike so i like the screen always on, then i put it up on mobihand/appworld and some people put it intheir pockets so they dont need this option). Even if you lock your screen if this option is on, on some phones it'll override your screen lock and switch back on your screen and drain the battery.
    If you want your screen always on with the app then changing the screen brightness really helps here, most blackberries i think come with the screen set to about 80% brightness, settings that to about 20 - 40 will greatly save on battery (not just for this app but just for general use too).
    I'm not sure on this one but this app can connect to a zephyr bluetooth heart rate strap so if you've got bluetooth on but no strap, i'm not sure how long it searches for the strap before giving up, this may eat up alot of battery.
    I run mine on a blackberry torch, i dont do as much training as id like but i have been able do a couple of 3 or 4 hour spins this year and its had no problem with that. without the heart rate strap it only uses about 60% battery over 4 hours with the screen always on(20% brightness). with the bluetooth strap on you wouldnt get much more than the 4 hours. without the bluetooth and with the screen off, ive tested it out and left the app running for over 12 hours without wasting the batter out.
    mkoso likes this.
    07-28-11 03:57 AM
    If theres any more questions feel free to post them here and ill try and check back again later. I dont seem to get email notifications on this site tho and i think its set in my profile so im not sure what thats about.

Anyway a better way to get an answer is to just drop me a mail (thats another option in the paid version theres a menu option on the main screen "contact support" that'll just open an email with my email address on it and a gpspeedometer subject so you dont have to go looking on appworld for the support address). the email address is [email protected] or you could just use my name here thats my other email address :P
    07-28-11 04:09 AM
    Mark,

It is the free version and thanks so much for getting back to me. Battery life did seem better today after a battery pull and, thanks for informing my other issue.

Love the app and I just want to say thank you.
    07-28-11 08:16 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD