Now that there are no new official Blackberry phones going to be released, I wonder if they have plans to do this?
    02-08-20 01:07 PM
    now that there are no new official blackberry phones going to be released, i wonder if they have plans to do this?
    ahhhhhhhh no.
    02-08-20 01:20 PM
    Now that there are no new official Blackberry phones going to be released, I wonder if they have plans to do this?
    Don’t think it’s possible as I don’t believe it was actually BlackBerry developed. If memory serves, it’s from SwiftKey
    Trouveur likes this.
    02-08-20 03:15 PM
    Don’t think it’s possible as I don’t believe it was actually BlackBerry developed. If memory serves, it’s from SwiftKey
    I never knew that... Just assumed all the BlackBerry apps were produced and owned by Blackberry... Don't suppose Microsoft will release it then as it may compete with SwiftKey... Will have to use that Colbalt download manager to get it then...
    02-08-20 04:15 PM
    Well, it was BlackBerry-developed, but they had to licence some IP from SwiftKey - as to what specifically, it has never been made clear.
    02-08-20 04:16 PM
    I thought the last update to the VKB removed the SwiftKey engine and was replaced with one BB wrote themselves.
    02-08-20 06:23 PM
    I thought the last update to the VKB removed the SwiftKey engine and was replaced with one BB wrote themselves.
    That was suspected but never confirmed.
    02-08-20 07:30 PM
    It was the worst update that ruined the amazing and great experience of BlackBerry keyboard. I just started to hate it after that horrible update.
    02-09-20 02:42 AM
    It was the worst update that ruined the amazing and great experience of BlackBerry keyboard. I just started to hate it after that horrible update.
    I recently reinstalled the BlackBerry VKB and thought it was just me being unfamiliar with it. I got my Z10 out, didn't have any trouble using it, and concluded it must be the screen size difference - 5.7" vs 4.7".
    02-09-20 03:14 AM
    oh wow, maybe that's why I can't type on this BlackBerry vkb anymore. it's driving me crazy, but what are my options?
    02-09-20 03:33 AM
    I did notice a change, but I've been able to work with it pretty well. Still like it better than the standard Samsung keyboard on the S9, and I still prefer the swipe up word selections so Gboard (which I've tried) just doesn't cut it.
    02-09-20 10:48 AM
    oh wow, maybe that's why I can't type on this BlackBerry vkb anymore. it's driving me crazy, but what are my options?
    You can try reverting to a previous version, however it is unlikely this will work because the new keyboard app comes with the security patches, so even if you try reverting a previous version, it may not be early enough.

On the Priv, it hasn't received a security patch which includes this new keyboard app so if it was installed via the Play store, then it is possible to revert back.

You can tell the difference between the BB version and the original Swiftkey version by looking at the version number. If it's 4.0, the its the new BB version. If it's 3.4, then its the old swiftkey version.
    02-09-20 01:57 PM
    Well, it was BlackBerry-developed, but they had to licence some IP from SwiftKey - as to what specifically, it has never been made clear.
    Most likely Swipe
    02-09-20 11:33 PM
    Most likely Swipe
    I think it most likely that BlackBerry developed their keyboard app and then had to pay SwiftKey licencing fees for something SwiftKey had already patented.
    JHBrandt likes this.
    02-09-20 11:35 PM
    Very interesting information! I didn't know that Blackberrys vkb software was in any relationship with SwiftKey.

This is a good point for an non Blackberry like the Titan: it works with SwiftKey very good!
    02-15-20 03:31 AM
    I think it most likely that BlackBerry developed their keyboard app and then had to pay SwiftKey licencing fees for something SwiftKey had already patented.
    Well, that's three apps I've had to revert to an older version, to regain functionality lost due to third-party interference: Hub+ Services & Yaata due to Google Play Store policies, and now BB Keyboard due to a software patent.
    02-19-20 01:46 PM
    Well, that's three apps I've had to revert to an older version, to regain functionality lost due to third-party interference: Hub+ Services & Yaata due to Google Play Store policies, and now BB Keyboard due to a software patent.
    Wow, I feel like we have travelled back in time looking for work-arounds for BB10 compatibility.
    02-19-20 02:26 PM