Home CrackBerry Q&A > BlackBerry Android OS

Word Substitution Settings Reset After Reboot

Asked: Mar 16 2018 | 4:52 am EDT 6630 Views 91 Answers View Best Answer

Team,

I have about 100 word substitutions, I type in an extreme shorthand using this feature. However what I noticed is a few things:

1. When the word substitutions imported from my Q10, they were all marked as "always use this capitalization" this is a bummer when you have to go in and remove the checkmark so you can get your substitutions to capitalize. So I did.

2. After a reboot however, they've all reset to "always use this capitalization" by default.

Here's an example of why this sucks:

Lowercase bc is "because" you could understand that I wouldn't always want to use this capitalization, say after a period.

How do I fix this bug?

Best Answer

Mar 17 2018 | 7:26 am EDT BigBadWulf

"Well aware" and tracking via an approved PMIS, incident management, user story, bug tracker, or CM system are very different. Basically, if it's not in the system, it doesn't exist.

Can someone show and prove that the bug exists in one of these systems? Otherwise, how do we submit?
Read through this thread. I could find older, but that should be proof enough for you it is known, and being addressed. I don't think anyone could be more disappointed than me it isn't yet, but since they are...
1) Aware
2) Able to reproduce it
3) Continuing to respond when asked
There's really no point in submitting more bug reports. I personally submitted one.

@LiamQ @max-bb
Could one of you please comment here, and calm these folks concerns the bug is being ignored?

More Answers

Mar 16 2018 | 9:31 am EDT danp2000

I seem to remember Michael saying last year sometime a fix for this was coming with the next update. Many updates have come and gone and no fix in sight.

Still frustrating.

Mar 16 2018 | 7:07 pm EDT CBuser3215

okay. Is there a bug filed somewhere? How do we file with support?

Mar 16 2018 | 8:08 pm EDT BigBadWulf

okay. Is there a bug filed somewhere? How do we file with support?
No need to file, they are well aware of it, and have been for a long time.

Mar 17 2018 | 7:08 am EDT CBuser3215

"Well aware" and tracking via an approved PMIS, incident management, user story, bug tracker, or CM system are very different. Basically, if it's not in the system, it doesn't exist.

Can someone show and prove that the bug exists in one of these systems? Otherwise, how do we submit?

Mar 17 2018 | 4:47 pm EDT Soapm

Read through this thread. I could find older, but that should be proof enough for you it is known, and being addressed. I don't think anyone could be more disappointed than me it isn't yet, but since they are...
1) Aware
2) Able to reproduce it
3) Continuing to respond when asked
There's really no point in submitting more bug reports. I personally submitted one.

@LiamQ @max-bb
Could one of you please comment here, and calm these folks concerns the bug is being ignored?
You want LiamQ to confirm they're "ignoring" the bug???

Mar 17 2018 | 5:12 pm EDT BigBadWulf

You want LiamQ to confirm they're "ignoring" the bug???
Please tell me you're trying to be funny, and just forgot the

Mar 17 2018 | 11:36 pm EDT Soapm

Please tell me you're trying to be funny, and just forgot the
I think you meant, "the bug is NOT being ignored"... But I could be wrong, they might be ignoring it...

Mar 17 2018 | 11:39 pm EDT BigBadWulf

I think you meant, "the bug is NOT being ignored"... But I could be wrong, they might be ignoring it...
I think you need to read my post again.

Mar 18 2018 | 1:04 pm EDT CBuser3215

I found an app called "Texpand" it survives reboots, haven't tested it too much, and the settings are a bit wonk, but I got it to work. I'll be using this until BlackBerry can get it together.

Mar 19 2018 | 10:03 am EDT LiamQ

We're actively working on the bug where "Always use this capitalization" setting gets lost after a reboot. I'm sorry that it's not been a quick fix, but we're getting close.

Mar 19 2018 | 8:45 pm EDT BigBadWulf

We're actively working on the bug where "Always use this capitalization" setting gets lost after a reboot. I'm sorry that it's not been a quick fix, but we're getting close.
Thanks for not giving up, and putting up with me continually putting your feet to the fire.

Mar 19 2018 | 9:15 pm EDT CBuser3215

Could we get a comment on the cursor jumping around in cursor mode after entering text or the shift delete cursor jump? This was a 550 dollar phone, and it has serious flaws, I cannot call it a BlackBerry.

Mar 19 2018 | 9:23 pm EDT conite

Could we get a comment on the cursor jumping around in cursor mode after entering text or the shift delete cursor jump? This was a 550 dollar phone, and it has serious flaws, I cannot call it a BlackBerry.
Oh please, can I help?

Mar 20 2018 | 4:14 am EDT CBuser3215

Hello Conite, here's a video demonstration. I'm curious if these have been addressed by LiamQ or officially tracked as a bug by BlackBerry.

Mar 20 2018 | 9:47 am EDT CBuser3215

Oh please, can I help?
Hello Conite, here's a video demonstration. I'm curious if these have been addressed by LiamQ or officially tracked as a bug by BlackBerry.

Mar 20 2018 | 10:49 am EDT skrble

Personally, I wish there was a magnifying glass when moving the cursor by draging it directly in the text area. This is annoying so much that I entirely stopped using this "trackpad" - it's absolutely unpredictable and unreliable. I keep draging the cursor with my hand in the text area and the lack of the magnifying glass (as on BB10 or many other Android keyboards) just makes it uncomfortable.

Mar 20 2018 | 11:41 am EDT conite

I was referring to your provocative/hyperbolic tone. I hardly see these as issues so serious that the device should lose its BlackBerry designation. How much of the $550 would you like credited back to you until this is resolved?

Submit a bug report and sit tight.

Mar 20 2018 | 12:43 pm EDT CBuser3215

I was referring to your provocative/hyperbolic tone. I hardly see these as issues so serious that the device should lose its BlackBerry designation. How much of the $550 would you like credited back to you until this is resolved?

Submit a bug report and sit tight.
It's just the lack of quality, these are not really features if they are unusable. It was my understanding that these were the official BlackBerry forums. I'm really not trying to pick a fight, I'm a professional, I want my devices to work, when I'm reaching out I should be allowed to express my discontent. I have asked in several forums how to submit a bug vs complain in a forum.

I like to know that these features are being worked on, tracked via bug tracker, given an assignment and an estimated build/timeline where it will be addressed. It looks like these bugs have been around for a while. Why we cannot go to a support page and see the status of these bugs is a mystery.

Where do I submit or where do I find the procedures to submit these bugs?

Mar 20 2018 | 12:56 pm EDT conite

It's just the lack of quality, these are not really features if they are unusable. It was my understanding that these were the official BlackBerry forums. I'm really not trying to pick a fight, I'm a professional, I want my devices to work, when I'm reaching out I should be allowed to express my discontent. I have asked in several forums how to submit a bug vs complain in a forum.

I like to know that these features are being worked on, tracked via bug tracker, given an assignment and an estimated build/timeline where it will be addressed. It looks like these bugs have been around for a while. Why we cannot go to a support page and see the status of these bugs is a mystery.

Where do I submit or where do I find the procedures to submit these bugs?
Contact BlackBerry Mobile (not BlackBerry).

You can use the include "Support Centre" app on your device to submit a report.

Feel free to discuss your issue here - no problem. It's good to talk about these things, as we come up with solutions for problems, and draw attention to them.

You'll just tend to get more help without additional posturing. We're just a community of fans.

Mar 20 2018 | 8:28 pm EDT BigBadWulf

While it needs addressed, it does work for the most part, so unusable is a bit of a stretch.

Mar 20 2018 | 9:25 pm EDT CBuser3215

Did you watch the video? No. Unusable is correct. I don't have time for science or art projects, I'm annoyed at myself that I've given so much patience up to this point. At this price point I don't need anything to be community driven. I need it work, flawlessly.

Mar 20 2018 | 9:33 pm EDT AmritD

Did you watch the video? No. Unusable is correct. I don't have time for science or art projects, I'm annoyed at myself that I've given so much patience up to this point. At this price point I don't need anything to be community driven. I need it work, flawlessly.
I wouldn't quite say unusable is correct. That's an over stretch but do agree that it's an extremely annoying bug which comes in way of work and can break the entire flow of work. Extremely frustrating.
But here's the thing, ranting will not necessarily make it go away. Report the bugs, and then there is a chance of the bug being fixed (BlackBerry Devs are fairly prompt in replying to such bugs).
And if you think that no other OEM/OS has some annoying bugs, I'd say browse a little through the Android Authority or iMore forums and you will know.

Also you could try disabling the keyboard app, clearing the cache, 32 second reboot and installing the keyboard app again if you haven't tried all of this. Might help.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163

Mar 20 2018 | 9:34 pm EDT BigBadWulf

I've been using the phone most of a year. Why would I need to watch a video, to know how it works? Guess now I'll have to, and try help you out.

BTW - Used the double-tap to move the cursor back, and change a period to a question mark, flawlessly.

Okay, the only thing I could replicate was the shift delete, when doing it for quite some time. I use shift, highlight, delete, so never noticed it. You may need to uninstall, then reinstall your keyboard app.

Mar 20 2018 | 11:06 pm EDT CBuser3215

I wouldn't quite say unusable is correct. That's an over stretch but do agree that it's an extremely annoying bug which comes in way of work and can break the entire flow of work. Extremely frustrating.
But here's the thing, ranting will not necessarily make it go away. Report the bugs, and then there is a chance of the bug being fixed (BlackBerry Devs are fairly prompt in replying to such bugs).
And if you think that no other OEM/OS has some annoying bugs, I'd say browse a little through the Android Authority or iMore forums and you will know.

Also you could try disabling the keyboard app, clearing the cache, 32 second reboot and installing the keyboard app again if you haven't tried all of this. Might help.

Dude... you're on a classic. Again, I'm not browsing through anything at this price point. What is this? A chop shop of rabid fans who are willing to hack around anything BlackBerry is willing to sell them? Well guess what, I bought it. And no is the answer from me. I'm not ranting. I promptly reported my bugs. I'm curious at this point how many BlackBerry trolls are going to come out from under their bridge to tell me how great their buggy phone is. Especially from you. On a classic.

Mar 20 2018 | 11:09 pm EDT BigBadWulf

Dude... you're on a classic. Again, I'm not browsing through anything at this price point. What is this? A chop shop of rabid fans who are willing to hack around anything BlackBerry is willing to sell them? Well guess what, I bought it. And no is the answer from me. I'm not ranting. I promptly reported my bugs. I'm curious at this point how many BlackBerry trolls are going to come out from under their bridge to tell me how great their buggy phone is. Especially from you. On a classic.
Calm down. This needs to be a civil discussion.

Mar 20 2018 | 11:11 pm EDT CBuser3215

I've been using the phone most of a year. Why would I need to watch a video, to know how it works? Guess now I'll have to, and try help you out.

BTW - Used the double-tap to move the cursor back, and change a period to a question mark, flawlessly.

Okay, the only thing I could replicate was the shift delete, when doing it for quite some time. I use shift, highlight, delete, so never noticed it. You may need to uninstall, then reinstall your keyboard app.
The video explains clearly in bold the bug. For the cursor mode bug, it's not the characters at the end of the word but changing the ones at the beginning of the word. If you could replicate the shift delete bug, then that's a bug. Working around is just that.

Mar 20 2018 | 11:15 pm EDT BigBadWulf

The video explains clearly in bold the bug. For the cursor mode bug, it's not the characters at the end of the word but changing the ones at the beginning of the word. If you could replicate the shift delete bug, then that's a bug. Working around is just that.
And as I said, I replicated it. Just because I use a different technique, doesn't mean I didn't acknowledge it's an issue that needs addressed. I was able to move the cursor to the front a word, and insert a capital letter. That is either a bug on just some phones, similar to the word sub bug, or you have an issue with your keyboard needing reinstalled. I would try that first before sending a bug report.

Mar 20 2018 | 11:55 pm EDT AmritD

Just btw, what does me being on a Classic have anything to do with what I said?
One bug doesn't make the phone buggy or unusable is all I am saying.

Mar 21 2018 | 12:11 am EDT Soapm

I've been under the bridge all day and haven't seen any trolls, but I do think you'd be better off with an iPhone.

Mar 21 2018 | 8:05 am EDT CBuser3215

I've been under the bridge all day and haven't seen any trolls, but I do think you'd be better off with an iPhone.
How about BlackBerry fixes it!

Apr 14 2018 | 12:41 am EDT guygardner73

I'm finding it really frustrating too. it adds a lot of time to my email activity. so annoying.

Apr 14 2018 | 8:11 am EDT danp2000

The word capitalization bug has been squashed for me with this latest BlackBerry Keyboard update.

Apr 17 2018 | 12:59 am EDT guygardner73

the bug has returned. the problem was solved for 36 hrs. thanks for that.

Apr 17 2018 | 1:20 am EDT guygardner73

@LiamQ @max-bb

I love you guys!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180413-201315.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	435574

It works
What version is this? I'm on 3.2.0.14745 and the issue persists.

Apr 17 2018 | 2:07 am EDT CBuser3215

the bug has returned. the problem was solved for 36 hrs. thanks for that.
I second that motion! It's back.