While I have zero interest in the "Droidberries", since I detest the lack of privacy in android (BB10 to the end!) the wife's frustrated with the choice of either paying more for mid level hardware with NO protection against spills in order to keep the remaining BlackBerry security vs getting better hardware specs + IP68 protection from multiple sources all available below $500-$600! While she hasn't lost a cell to water she's seen our kids lose 5 devices over the past few years to water or drops. Son lost a DTEK50 & a DTEK60 to damage from very minor falls that my Q10 has shrugged off dozens of times this year alone! Both were in Otterbox cases, under six months old. NEITHER were given any help from the warranty, even though one fell less than 12" onto a wood floor.

So this also makes her less interested in paying a premium price for another BlackBerry if this is indicative of the level of build quality & support, both of which are inferior to the actual BlackBerry devices we've owned. The Z10, Z30 & Q10 all provided good service with a durable nature far better than the Priv she's struggling with or the newer phones our son tried. He misses the BlackBerry features but has found his Sony Xperia XZ1 compact easily has survived drops that killed both his android Blackberries and he also said that his Z30 was much better than the DTEKs as far as intuitive operation.

I know that a large number of people "must" have an android phone but fail to understand why all of the android phones that came after the Priv are inferior to a non-flagship device that came out in 2017...

While I managed to teach him to value security & privacy enough for him to see some value in having a BlackBerry that at least somewhat secures an inherently UNsecure OS, he didn't value it over the better value that Nokia, Samsung or Sony give him. He did appreciate the BB10 phones he used but when the Z30 was crushed by accident he felt that he needed to access several apps for school that weren't available for BlackBerry. He never wanted pkb as I do so doesn't feel any loss without one. But IF a device with middle of the road hardware & IP68 was available as a "Blackberry" he would consider switching. Wife would as well. But it seems unlikely we'll see one...

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    11-16-18 11:41 AM
    Motion is ip67. Quite robust phone that takes a dunk quite happily.
    11-16-18 12:01 PM
    11-20-18 02:37 AM
    Motion is ip67. Quite robust phone that takes a dunk quite happily.
    Also IP67 is virtually the same thing as IP68, which is just half a meter deeper in the water. really not much difference :-)
    11-20-18 08:34 AM
    Also IP67 is virtually the same thing as IP68, which is just half a meter deeper in the water. really not much difference :-)
    Either way, it should only be looked at as peace of mind for if the device ever gets dropped in water or for using under the rain.

If any repair has to be done on the device for whatever reason, the IP rating would be compromised.
    Gajja likes this.
    11-20-18 09:37 AM
    I thought IP ratings were only a function of water resistance. Nothing about "durability".

My old Z10 survived many drops, but don't get a speck of water around it, or that moisture tape inside turns bright red.
    11-20-18 10:13 AM
    I thought IP ratings were only a function of water resistance. Nothing about "durability".

My old Z10 survived many drops, but don't get a speck of water around it, or that moisture tape inside turns bright red.
    We can have both, it's not one or the other
    11-20-18 11:21 AM
    We can have both, it's not one or the other
    I know, but the OP is making a big deal about the IP rating, but talking about how easy new phones are to break. Yet the old phones were tougher before IP ratings were a thing.

But I agree, we could have both, and do in some cases.
    11-20-18 12:58 PM
    I suppose I was hoping for a way to have both before she buys a replacement for the Priv that's not a BlackBerry.

11-21-18 05:16 PM
    While I have zero interest in the "Droidberries", since I detest the lack of privacy in android (BB10 to the end!) the wife's frustrated with the choice of either paying more for mid level hardware with NO protection against spills in order to keep the remaining BlackBerry security vs getting better hardware specs + IP68 protection from multiple sources all available below $500-$600! While she hasn't lost a cell to water she's seen our kids lose 5 devices over the past few years to water or drops. Son lost a DTEK50 & a DTEK60 to damage from very minor falls that my Q10 has shrugged off dozens of times this year alone! Both were in Otterbox cases, under six months old. NEITHER were given any help from the warranty, even though one fell less than 12" onto a wood floor.

So this also makes her less interested in paying a premium price for another BlackBerry if this is indicative of the level of build quality & support, both of which are inferior to the actual BlackBerry devices we've owned. The Z10, Z30 & Q10 all provided good service with a durable nature far better than the Priv she's struggling with or the newer phones our son tried. He misses the BlackBerry features but has found his Sony Xperia XZ1 compact easily has survived drops that killed both his android Blackberries and he also said that his Z30 was much better than the DTEKs as far as intuitive operation.

I know that a large number of people "must" have an android phone but fail to understand why all of the android phones that came after the Priv are inferior to a non-flagship device that came out in 2017...

While I managed to teach him to value security & privacy enough for him to see some value in having a BlackBerry that at least somewhat secures an inherently UNsecure OS, he didn't value it over the better value that Nokia, Samsung or Sony give him. He did appreciate the BB10 phones he used but when the Z30 was crushed by accident he felt that he needed to access several apps for school that weren't available for BlackBerry. He never wanted pkb as I do so doesn't feel any loss without one. But IF a device with middle of the road hardware & IP68 was available as a "Blackberry" he would consider switching. Wife would as well. But it seems unlikely we'll see one...

Only if the feature truly adds to sales or prevents enough lost sales to justify the added design cost.
    11-21-18 05:21 PM