I am just curious why this has not been licensed by anyone else? In a day and age where security seems important, nobody else seems to be interested nor doing anything similar.

Edit: title should end with "hardening"
    06-28-19 07:43 AM
    I am just curious why this has not been licensed by anyone else? In a day and age where security seems important, nobody else seems to be interested nor doing anything similar.

It's too complicated for consumers. They aren't afraid if security issues on their phones, unlike enterprises.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Byrese likes this.
    06-28-19 08:31 AM
    It's too complicated for consumers. They aren't afraid if security issues on their phones, unlike enterprises.

And enterprise will just use Knox which BlackBerry already assisted in making better.

I just thought maybe someone like Samsung could adopt a few of the "under the hood" tweaks for security. But like you said, no one really cares.
    06-28-19 08:39 AM
    And enterprise will just use Knox which BlackBerry already assisted in making better.

I just thought maybe someone like Samsung could adopt a few of the "under the hood" tweaks for security. But like you said, no one really cares.
    I'm sure Samsung does adopt some of them. The principles of solid cybersecurity aren't a secret. The biggest problem with mobile phones is escalation of privileges, so locking down settings that provide access to privileges like root access, engineering mode, etc. Lies at the heart of security engineering.

Blackberry's approach to securing devices isn't as urgent for enterprises who have already decided that nothing can be done to truly secure mobile devices. The trend is to use a zero trust model where every file is encrypted and can only be accessed by an authorized user, and to use A I and machine learning to scan for suspect activity.

These organizations rely more on their MDM solutions than they do on device security. And they put significant restrictions.on what mobile users can do. For example, most of our clients prohibit any downloading of data from their cloud services to phones. That can have a significant cost in terms of lost productivity, but it certainly increases security.

BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-28-19 08:54 AM
    I'm sure Samsung does adopt some of them. The principles of solid cybersecurity aren't a secret. The biggest problem with mobile phones is escalation of privileges, so locking down settings that provide access to privileges like root access, engineering mode, etc. Lies at the heart of security engineering.

Blackberry's approach to securing devices isn't as urgent for enterprises who have already decided that nothing can be done to truly secure mobile devices. The trend is to use a zero trust model where every file is encrypted and can only be accessed by an authorized user, and to use A I and machine learning to scan for suspect activity.

These organizations rely more on their MDM solutions than they do on device security. And they put significant restrictions.on what mobile users can do. For example, most of our clients prohibit any downloading of data from their cloud services to phones. That can have a significant cost in terms of lost productivity, but it certainly increases security.

Pretty much this in a nutshell.

And even consumers should be more concerned about using policies that keep their data safe, rather than relying on hardware to do it for them.

At this stage, TCL would be wiser to simply licence the pkb, and release their own phone with Android One.

The dream of BlackBerry Android making headway into the enterprise space is over.
    06-28-19 09:34 AM
    Pretty much this in a nutshell.

And even consumers should be more concerned about using policies that keep their data safe, rather than relying on hardware to do it for them.

At this stage, TCL would be wiser to simply licence the pkb, and release their own phone with Android One.

The dream of BlackBerry Android making headway into the enterprise space is over.
    Conite!!!

I totally agree. Now if only BlackBerry would agree.
    the_boon likes this.
    06-28-19 09:42 AM

It is a result of some here manipulating the people against BlackBerry and security. Since Crackberry became an anti BB-Forum it is too difficult to convince someone about BlackBerry security. If people are told that the PKB is the most important thing on a BlackBerry they don't want it.
    06-28-19 09:51 AM
    It is a result of some here manipulating the people against BlackBerry and security. Since Crackberry became an anti BB-Forum it is too difficult to convince someone about BlackBerry security. If people are told that the PKB is the most important thing on a BlackBerry they don't want it.
    Nothing that happens in these forums has a meaningful effect on BlackBerry sales. If everyone who comes here for a month bought a phone this year, it wouldn't change the outcome.

TgeekB and Byrese like this.
    06-28-19 09:56 AM
    Nothing that happens in these forums has a meaningful effect on BlackBerry sales. If everyone who comes here for a month bought a phone this year, it wouldn't change the outcome.

Agreed. Just trying to start a conversation on this. There are multiple levels of security that BlackBerry has implemented. They are now receiving a lot of praise for their other security-focused advances in other areas, it just hasn't bled over to phones.
    06-28-19 10:05 AM
    I'll ignore the ridiculous parts of this post, but will respond to the security portion.

TCL has to pay big dollars for BlackBerry Android and the brand name. If they were able to operate without that encumbrance, they could be far more competitive.

As a CONSUMER, one has to be realistic and ask if they are better off with BlackBerry Android with 2 years of patches and 1 update, or Android One with 3 or 4 years of patches and 2 or 3 updates.

I find it interesting that you had zero concerns with MitM attacks on BBMe prior to them updating the app to mitigate the issue and match the competition.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-28-19 10:07 AM
    Nothing that happens in these forums has a meaningful effect on BlackBerry sales.

I doubt that ! BlackBerry Ltd. and BlackBerry Mobile supported CB with some reason. Some time ago hundred times a day "Buy a KeyOne" was posted here. Now the wind has changed. A lot of CBs went frustrated away. Positive multipliers are very rare now. The ambassador is the most negative agitator.
    06-28-19 10:10 AM
    The ambassador is the most negative agitator.
    Hardly. I spoke to security concerns specifically with respect to BBMe Consumer. My history on other BlackBerry and BlackBerry Mobile matters speaks for itself.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-28-19 10:13 AM
    I'll ignore the ridiculous parts of this post, but will respond to the security portion.

TCL has to pay big dollars for BlackBerry Android and the brand name. If they were able to operate without that encumbrance, they could be far more competitive.

As a CONSUMER, one has to be realistic and ask if they are better off with BlackBerry Android with 2 years of patches and 1 update, or Android One with 3 or 4 years of patches and 2 or 3 updates.

I find it interesting that you had zero concerns with MitM attacks on BBMe prior to them updating the app to mitigate the issue and match the competition.
    And I am not necessarily suggesting the branding itself but the things that are done "under the hood".
    06-28-19 10:15 AM
    And I am not necessarily suggesting the branding itself but the things that are done "under the hood".
    As you probably know, I'm a huge fan of BlackBerry Integrity Detection. But as someone mostly concerned about the future of pkb devices, I'm not sure I see a economically viable way forward for BlackBerry Android in the consumer space.

If I could have my way, I'd love it if BBMo could maintain a user base of 5-10 million people, and continue producing BlackBerry Android pkb devices. But....
    06-28-19 10:18 AM
    As you probably know, I'm a huge fan of BlackBerry Integrity Detection. But as someone mostly concerned about the future of pkb devices, I'm not sure I see a economically viable way forward for BlackBerry Android in the consumer space.

If I could have my way, I'd love it if BBMo could maintain a user base of 5-10 million people, and continue producing BlackBerry Android pkb devices. But....
    Uh-oh. You said it again. Economic viability. You're an enemy of the brand. LMAO!!!

You're going to have to come down here to Florida and join witness protection...
    06-28-19 11:16 AM

I have the same hopes.
    06-28-19 12:46 PM
    Uh-oh. You said it again. Economic viability. You're an enemy of the brand. LMAO!!!

You're going to have to come down here to Florida and join witness protection...
    Why doesn't BlackBerry just keep making it at a loss to satiate the few thousands of us left???
    06-28-19 12:46 PM
    This is the first time I see you saying it.

Well, I'm sure TCL is smart enough to know that that option is probably on the table.

I don't see why Chen wouldn't agree to this, that way they would essentially dedicate zero resources to anything that concerns mobile hardware, because those PKB patents are R&D that's already been completed before.
    It would be 99% passive for BB ltd.

I think it would make everyone happy, aside from those who want a DroidBerry for BBAndroid.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-28-19 02:01 PM

Well, I'm sure TCL is smart enough to know that that option is probably on the table.

I don't see why Chen wouldn't agree to this, that way they would essentially dedicate zero resources to anything that concerns mobile hardware, because those PKB patents are R&D that's already been completed before.

I think it would make everyone happy, aside from those who want a DroidBerry for BBAndroid.
    It's not my preference, but it may be an economic reality.
    06-28-19 02:39 PM

So you license the PKB.... what about the Brand? Suite of Apps?

What's the risk analyse on allowing the BlackBerry Brand to be used without any additional security - which is what BlackBerry's bread and butter is all about?

How many users would buy a non-BlackBerry phone without BlackBerry security but with a BlackBerry Keyboard? 90% of KEY2 sales, 80%, 70%....?

Is cutting $50 - $75 off the price of the KEY2 going to really change anything?
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    06-28-19 02:58 PM
    IMO, it was never anything more than just a dream.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with BB's flavor of Android (in fact, there are some pieces of solid "good", particular with obscure security issues), but we all know that lots of enterprises were badly burned, often more than once, by BB, and after the demise of BB10, they weren't giving BB any more chances (except a handful of Canadian companies, perhaps). And that became even more true when BB left the business and went to a licensing model.

It didn't take Enterprise a lot of work to figure out that TCL didn't have anything remotely close to the support infrastructure or the carrier partnerships needed to be a viable candidate for enterprise sales. Enterprise expects that if they have issues with their phones, they either have a personal rep who will ship replacements that day, or that they can go into a carrier store and resolve the problem immediately. Neither of those was the reality for BBMo, and given a decade of declining fortunes, enterprise wasn't betting on the BB brand to turn it around.

As has been stated, Enterprise's concerns get addressed via MDM/EMM software (and some do use BB's UEM for that - which today is mostly the GOOD acquisition) - they're not overly concerned about the devices themselves, because they can lock them down. And that makes it easy to recommend iPhones or Galaxy S's, both of which are recognized by everyone as premium devices, both in build quality and in features (SoC performance and camera quality being the big ones).

As I've said on many occasions, BBMo has been, since its inception, a company that built phones for CONSUMER sales, not for enterprise, because enterprise ain't buying them. It's been individual consumers who have bought the overwhelming majority of the BBMo devices, and even if some were used for business purposes, they're still consumer sales.

I also said, a couple of years ago, that the licensing agreement would need to sell about 5M devices a year in order to be sustainable. Clearly nothing close to that has been achieved, and most of the licensees have already abandoned ship, meaning it's getting worse instead of better. Combine that with layoffs and the discontinuing of apps and other signs, it's clear that changes are coming - changes that most here aren't going to like.
    John Albert and Bbnivende like this.
    06-28-19 03:06 PM
    So you license the PKB.... what about the Brand? Suite of Apps?

What's the risk analyse on allowing the BlackBerry Brand to be used without any additional security - which is what BlackBerry's bread and butter is all about?

How many users would buy a non-BlackBerry phone without BlackBerry security but with a BlackBerry Keyboard? 90% of KEY2 sales, 80%, 70%....?

Is cutting $50 - $75 off the price of the KEY2 going to really change anything?
    That's exactly what I meant.

A TCL KEY with a BB keyboard and Android One. It's better than nothing.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-28-19 03:17 PM
    A lot of CBs went frustrated away.
    Citation needed.

BlackBerry and BBMo invested in sponsoring CB at the launch of the BBMo brand. The fact that they no longer invest heavily tells you that they don't believe CB can deliver enough sales to make it worthwhile.

anon(10218918) likes this.
    06-28-19 05:12 PM
    Citation needed.

BlackBerry and BBMo invested in sponsoring CB at the launch of the BBMo brand. The fact that they no longer invest heavily tells you that they don't believe CB can deliver enough sales to make it worthwhile.

They seem to still have CBK involved though, since he's still posting BB pics on Instagram
    06-28-19 05:22 PM

Totally agree
    06-28-19 05:24 PM
36 12