Isn't that unnecessary intrusion to my contacts? Didn't happen in OS 10. Avoid Google
    This "may" seem off topic to you but I assure you it's not.

Concerning your issue with intrusion.... If you haven't upgraded your home computer to Windows 10 yet..... DON'T !
    I've you had windows 10 you would simply ignore this little annoyance you call intrusion.

In fact, Beat the Christmas Rush and immediately go into denial that intrusions of all kinds don't exist, never have and never will!

Problem solved!
    Carjackd likes this.
    10-30-16 06:51 AM
    This "may" seem off topic to you but I assure you it's not.

Concerning your issue with intrusion.... If you haven't upgraded your home computer to Windows 10 yet..... DON'T !
    I've you had windows 10 you would simply ignore this little annoyance you call intrusion.

In fact, Beat the Christmas Rush and immediately go into denial that intrusions of all kinds don't exist, never have and never will!

Problem solved! http://www.picturesanimations.com/3/3d_smileys/0269.gif
    Good point. Just yesterday, I was trying to add my friend as a guest to my Win10 laptop so she could borrow it for a few days. MS makes it very hard to find out how to add another user without first providing their MS-associated email or creating a new account. Hoops were impeding my progress and had to google (well, duck-duck) the solution. MS really wants everyone identified with an MS email account if possible.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    10-30-16 10:16 AM
    WRT the Windows 10 comment above, it's simple to make a local account. MS pushes using your MS account for shell integration with One Drive and Hotmail/Outlook.com just like the "features " of allowing access to Apps in this thread.

It's mostly about the experience, but there is the issue of targeted advertising just like Google and it's getting harder and harder to prevent it entirely.

Makes me want to rant about all the Commercials we pay for with cable TV, but I digress..... lol.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-16 06:28 PM
    Isn't that unnecessary intrusion to my contacts? Didn't happen in OS 10. Avoid Google
    First of all starting android 6 they gave user ability to deny any permission to any app.... If you deny permission the app may quit or continue based on how critical that permission is to the functionalities of that app.... That being said when you say Google wants permission to read your contacts what do you mean? Unless you tried to use Google now or to sync your contacts with your gmail there is no way Google ask for that permission without you initiating... Remember you can deny an app any permission you want. For example whatsapp needs to read your contacts for it to function I you deny it you won't be serviced.
    11-01-16 11:17 AM
    Lol best thread I've read in a while.
    11-01-16 11:49 AM
    It's not Google (the company) who wants to access your contacts. It's Google (the app that's part of the os) that wants to access your contacts.

Even so, if you grant permission to the app it may send your data to googles servers. They mine every data that they can.

Funny thing is that even if you have a secure and private mail account and send an email to someone's Gmail address, google will collect your email address, your ip address, the content of the email, the attachments, everything... so that they can have statistic data for their advertising business.

Also it's not only google that does this. Every app you use, every service on the cloud makes this. So you see, we are living in a data mining Internet world where only money counts in exchange for you data.

Posted via CB10
    Dr_BlackBerry likes this.
    11-01-16 06:18 PM
    . So you see, we are living in a data mining Internet world where only money counts in exchange for you data.

Posted via CB10
    So true. That's what Microsoft has woken up to, hence the data mining machine known as Windows 10 - my own desktop solution is Linux Mint :-)

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    11-01-16 10:59 PM
    apps that have the ability to sync via your google acct will also request contacts. Android is not intuitive sometimes. Most users don't think of being able to ties things to you Google acct as contacts like being able to share a pic with a friend but its the same category with Android.
    11-01-16 11:51 PM
    BlackBerry just didn't ask for your permission. My contact cards on my BlackBerry 10 phone would always take the photo from said contacts Facebook profile. This only works because Facebook could see my contacts.
    vag65 likes this.
    11-03-16 04:31 PM
    BlackBerry just didn't ask for your permission. My contact cards on my BlackBerry 10 phone would always take the photo from said contacts Facebook profile. This only works because Facebook could see my contacts.
    The Facebook app on BB10 was made by BlackBerry not Facebook. So yes Facebook likely could see your contacts but that's not the reason for the profile picture being added to your contacts. BlackBerry did that.
    11-03-16 04:49 PM
    The Facebook app on BB10 was made by BlackBerry not Facebook. So yes Facebook likely could see your contacts but that's not the reason for the profile picture being added to your contacts. BlackBerry did that.
    I recall a toggle when setting up the FB on BB10 as to whether to allow FB access to contacts or not. If not, I believe BB10 can pull info but FB can't pull contacts.
    11-03-16 05:32 PM
    It's an Android thing. Android has a financial link with Google and therefore everything is to be synched/shared with the google apps and info - therefore, in my mind, a huge privacy issue AND something that if I don't want I don't see why I should be forced to have.
    11-03-16 05:52 PM
    When you bought the phone and set it up first time I'm sure there was the license agreement for you to read... you didn't read it, press I agree and there you go!

Now go to Google and search android license agreement. You will be amazed what they do to your data. They might well write in there that you agree they can enter your house anytime and pick up whatever they want.

With my past android experience the os is secure when you set it up properly but you will lose many of those google services and functions. It's not just android and google, it's every app you install.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-16 06:50 PM
    BEST.THREAD.EVER.

Just curious...what's the over/under this "security conscious" OP uses his real name for this site? I know others do it, or maybe it's a moniker for something else...but hi I'm "insert name here"...I WANT MY PRIVACY!!!
    11-03-16 07:49 PM
    Keep it simple.

Intrusion to your contacts...Yes/No

Unnecessary...NO

As everyone has explained, it's a function of the phone, not necessarily Google. Without it you would need to carry around a book with all your contacts: numbers, emails, etc.

When you use any app to send any information to another person you have two options:

1. Select the person from your contacts
    2. Manually enter their number, email, etc.

In order for Number 1 to occur you must give access.

Every single phone you have ever used has functioned this way. Now you are ACTUALLY being asked for permission instead of the OS taking it and you are complaining.

Here's an example maybe that will "blow your mind". Let's talk iPhone instead. You open the messaging app. You send a message to your best friend. Not only does the messaging app have access to your contacts but Apples server also has ping the your best friends device to determine if to send as iMessage or SMS. So now you've got encrypted messages, BUT iOS in and of itself requires Apple to always first check who you are messaging back and forth with to see if they have an iPhone or not. Check the news. Many articles about Apples servers maintaining this info. (Not Apple bashing either as I have a 6s for work and personal 7, another story for another time)

Bottom line. You cannot escape what you ultimately cannot understand. You've got no place to go. Yes, there are absolutely unnecessary intrusive parts to an OS and certainly issues with Google.

However, giving permission to use contacts is simply you giving an app access to your contacts the WAY YOU WANT IT TO. It is not giving access to your contacts maliciously.

Your best friend will not get a Phone Call or Text from Mr. Google trying to sell them something.
    11-03-16 08:07 PM
    Christ!
    The OP deserves a medal for somehow surviving as long as he did in life if this thread is any indication of his capability
    ams083 likes this.
    11-10-16 08:12 AM
66 123